Planning On Getting A New Bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitsrock_love

Reaction score
[shadow=green]OMG! I am so excited! I'm getting another bun in the USA! (Of course, I'll take Snowflake too!)[/shadow]

I'm planning on adopting or buying a bun form the petstore!:yahoo::clapping::pinkbouce::weee:But which breed should I get? One like Snowflake? A Flemish Giant? A French Lop? OMG I DON"T KNOW!!! Can you guys help me pick one? A breed you think is perfect for me and Snowflake? Any petstores or animal shelters I could adopt one from? Just leave me with the link please! Thanx! :big wink:

I would really encourage you to get one from an animal shelter. Most pet stores that sell live animals from "puppy mill" type conditions. It often involves quite a bit of cruelty.

Also, if you get one from a shelter you will be saving its life. In addition, its likely that it will already be spayed / neutered.

Neutering / spaying can be upwards of 100 dollars, so even if the adoption fee is more expensive then buying on from a pet store it will save you money in the end.

Good luck with the new rabbit! Post pictures once you pick one out!!

The breed is really up to you and what is avaliable in the area. You can narrow it down a bit by picking a size, coat type or ear carriage (lopped or not). If you want a big lop eared rabbit, then a French lop would be a suitable breed. A small fuzzy one might lead you to a fuzzy lop, lion head, jersey woolly or English angora. You need to think about what you can care for and what you are looking for in a rabbit. Each person have their own likes and dislikes, so what I might like is not something you would want.

We can't give you links to shelters or even breeder without knowing where you will be going. You can try looking on Petfinder.com to see what is avaliable near where you will be moving to. A local humane society might also have rabbits, so check the individual website too.

I would avoid petstores, especially those in larger cities and chain stores like Petland or Petco. The rabbits are usually sold too young which can lead to issues and large vet bills. A shelter or rescue would be a great place or a breed if you want something specific. I would only go to a pet store if there is nothing else and the conditions are good.

I'm picking up our Flemish Giant tomorrow to bring home. They're finally ready to leave! I may be more excited than my daughter. Although I just dropped 90 bucks on suppliers/food/litter/toys, etc, so that didn't make me very happy. Thank God for payday!

So naturally, I say get a Flemish :biggrin2:

And I'm getting an American Tan too in a few weeks, so I vote either or ;)

Latest posts

Back