Placing kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfloppy

Reaction score
My kits are 8 weeks old now and Ive posted an adat petfinder, grocery stores, etc. A few people called then nevercalled back, one bailed at the last minute. It is so difficult. I havefour that need homes, any suugestions on how to place them?

I know I have to seprate them soon for fear of more kits, and I canonly hope and pray Ive sexed them correctly.I *think* I haveone male and three females. The 'male' is much bigger and hasa 'donut'.

Anyone in the NJ area want a sweet little baby?;)

Michelle

You should have thought about placing the kits before breeding your bunnies.

I didnt breed them intentionally. Themale wasashelter adoptions.He is neutered now. He was dueto be put down. They said he was already. It was a complete accident.

Thanks for making me feel like more of a putz.:(

I would be more than happy to takethem. Unfortunately, I live in Wisconsin. Have youcontacted your local Humane Society?

Yes, and what I saw was shameful. They have about fifteen adults and several babies right now.

The other shelter (county) is where I got my male, and they just putthem down. Anyone can walk in out out with any animal, they dont botherto check refs or screen it seems. I wouldnt dream of taking them there.My sister spends hundreds getting cats out of there every year...lol.They never even asked her WHY she adopts so many (She homes themherself)

The rescue isnt taking any more.they are understaffed,underfunded, etc. My husband forbid me to keep them all. (last yearsvet bills totaled well into the four digits alone from our three dogsand two rabbits.:?)

Everyone who calls wants them for python chow.:shock: YUCK!NowI know what happens to all those poor little guys I seefree to good homes around here all the time. *shudder*

It's easy enough to be fooled by either whetherthey're male or female or whether they've really been neutered, sodon't feel a putz. There've been quite a few unintentional litters onthis forum.

I think there's a big difference between genuine accidents and peoplewho just want to have a litter of kits because it's cute or they don'tcare what the consequences are.

Four of mine came from a place where the girl had rabbits and let thembreed constantly just because she liked the baby rabbits, whenever theygot to a certain age she'd just get rid of them by whateverirresponsible method took her fancy. That's the kind of person whoshouldn't be a rabbit owner :X

My female rabbits are bigger than the males so size isn't anything togo by, but hopefully you've sexed them right. I believe they should besafe for at least another couple of weeks together, but unless he'svery small the male can be neutered much earlier than the females can.

Have you any way of keeping any of them?

I really feel for you about this and hope that you can get them the perfect homes.

Kate

bigfloppy wrote:
Yes, and what I saw was shameful. They have about fifteenadults and several babies right now.

The other shelter (county) is where I got my male, and they just putthem down. Anyone can walk in out out with any animal, they dont botherto check refs or screen it seems. I wouldnt dream of taking them there.My sister spends hundreds getting cats out of there every year...lol.They never even asked her WHY she adopts so many (She homes themherself)

The rescue isnt taking any more.they are understaffed,underfunded, etc. My husband forbid me to keep them all. (last yearsvet bills totaled well into the four digits alone from our three dogsand two rabbits.:?)

Everyone who calls wants them for python chow.:shock: YUCK!NowI know what happens to all those poor little guys I seefree to good homes around here all the time. *shudder*
How about a local feed store? Like Tractor Supply Company? They sell bunnies often.

Also try your local 4H, alot of times they don't need purebreds for just early education programs.

Rowan wrote:
It'seasy enough to be fooled by either whether they're male or female orwhether they've really been neutered, so don't feel a putz. There'vebeen quite a few unintentional litters on this forum.
Sorry if I made you feel like a putz. I guess I just jumpedto conclusions. I can relate to the HS being a horrible placeto take a bunny, but some places are different (so I hear).

Maybe put an article in the newspaper? I would be carefulwith that though because you want ot make sure these bunnies areproperly cared for.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
bigfloppy wrote:
Yes, and what Isaw was shameful. They have about fifteen adults and several babiesright now.

The rescue isnt taking any more. they are understaffed, underfunded,etc. My husband forbid me to keep them all. (last years vet billstotaled well into the four digits alone from our three dogs and tworabbits.:?)

Everyone who calls wants them for python chow.:shock: YUCK! Now I knowwhat happens to all those poor little guys I see free to good homesaround here all the time. *shudder*
How about a local feed store? Like Tractor Supply Company? They sell bunnies often.

Also try your local 4H, alot of times they don't need purebreds for just early education programs.

Feed stores are just as unlikely to screen potential owners :? Did youtry the New Jersey House RabbitSociety? They probably won't take the bunnies (most HRS chaptersrescue from shelters only), but given your situation they may have somehelpful tips or ideas for you. Couldn't hurt to just give them a call...

I will take photos tonight again. Any help isappreciated, believe me. I feel so awful every time they look ate me,even though they are thinking..mum..feed me pleease..more more more! Iam going through pellest and litter like crazy!

My husband has them SO spoiled.We are having a Asian new yeardinner tonight (he is Korean) and we have special plates for thepets...good grief!

Latest posts

Back