Pips The Shy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbit Hero

Reaction score
As some of you know I recently got Pips from the Humane Society to bond to my female Riza. We have started the bonding process which looks like its going to be slow.

Both Shino (RIP) and Riza were such easy rabbits.... I hadn't realized until now just how much so. They loved being pet and were not at all scared of loud noises. They were extremely outgoing and loved to play with my cat as well as myself.

Pips is the oposite! He is very shy and easily scared. He was born at the humane society and spent the first 8 months of his life there. I know they tried their hardest but at a busy shelter you can only do so much. So as a result he isn't used to attention and I most certainly can't win him over with food as the only thing he seems like are his pellets. He's such a slow eater that he almost always has them in his dish all day long so I can't even temp him with more.

I would love some tips from people who have dealt with shy rabbits. How can I make this transition for him a little easier if my usual "tricks" don't work?

Is Riza a brave bunny? Are they pretty newly bonded? Maybe after they become more bonded, she'll show him how to be a little more brave. Or he'll follow her lead.

I don't really have a shy rabbit, but sometimes she gets a little squirrely when certain things happen. It did take her a long time to get used to the dog, the vacuum and my child screaming at her. But now she does well in my constantly very noisy house. I think it will take a little while for your Pips to get used to all the sounds and things happening in your house.
It was strange for me too, I went from having a big lop who didn't care about anything. Who would flop down next to my running vacuum and take a rest. Who used to sleep with the dog, or wouldn't let him in HIS bed.
To having this small baby rabbit who was afraid of everything. But, I didn't take it easy on her. I did make sure my husband wasn't too rough or overly loud around her, so as not to completely terrify her of him. As it turns out, she only lets him pick her up! Anyway, I kept with the same household sounds everyday and still vacuumed around her. She got used to all the sounds after a few months and now shes a pro. She still doesn't like when I get the baking dishes out from under my stove, because they're loud. She still doesn't like when it sometimes when the dog jumps over the baby gate. But she doesn't always run.

I think its going to take more time with Pips. You would think that living in a shelter would desensitize him to everything, but he was probably used to those sounds and those people. So I think it will take him some time to get used to your house and your sounds and you.
I think sitting in his enclosure or in a room with them will help him to get to know you. You may not have many treats to offer, but just sitting there with him should help him to get to know you. Read out loud to him to help him get used to your voice. When Riza comes up to you, pet her and show him its okay.
He may always be a shy bunny, but he may come around a little bit! I hope he does at least!

PS. Sorry this was so long. :)

Riza is pretty brave, when we adopted Pips we figured he would be the "Follower". They actually aren't bonded at all yet. There has been some fighting between them so dates have been short. They seem really interested in each other when they are divided but as soon as we put them together Riza lunges, Pips grunts, they circle each other like MAD and become extremely territorial over anything around them.

That's funny, I had thought that since my house was much more quiet he would calm down a little quicker. I'm glad you said to sit with them as that's what I've been doing. I've have had a couple of Binkies and one Bunny 500 when just sitting and watching. I've been trying to hand feed him, or simply keep my hands near him while he's eating. He's approached me a few times, or gives me a sniff and as soon as his nose bonks me he runs away scared. We (my boyfriend and I) have avoided petting him as the only time we can is when he's cornered and doesn't seem to have much of a choice and I don't wnat him to feel threatened.

I've tried not to be to... "Accomodating", I still pick him up to give him his free time out of his pen. Which Pips hates and Riza will tolerate. i just have to be more patient! This is only his second week with us after all... I'll just have to keep reminding myself that!

PS. Lengthy responses are wonderful to read! Thank you for your post!

Is your house quiet a lot of the time? So like its quiet, then you get home and you're making noise and he's startled? I'm a stay at home mom, so we're here all the time, the tv is always running cartoons, my phone always has pandora going as I clean, my washing machine is constantly running. I have a 2 year old. haha. So my house is not quiet in the least, actually when it is quiet its weird.
Anyway, if its quiet all day until you get home (or however your schedule works out) you could leave a radio on or something, so there is always noise? This may not be the right thing to do. I think I've heard of people with rabbitries leaving radios on for their buns. But I would think, that if there is something going all day, when you get home it won't be so shocking for Pips when you guys start to make noise. Ya know?! But I could be totally wrong about that, I've never had to do it.

I've had Ellie since she was like 6 weeks old. When I was getting to know her, I would bring her on the couch with me and hand feed her pellets, after everyone had gone to bed. I think that helped us to get to know each other. I also sat with her a lot and read out loud to her often. (My husband thought I was insane.) It still took her months to flop out in the floor, then more months for her to stay flopped when I walked into the kitchen, and then more months for her to actually be completely on her side asleep.
Two weeks is a really short period of time, if you think about it. I think it will take more time for him to get to know you guys! Like you said, you have to be more patient! Patience is key. Does he like any fruit treats? I know you can't give him many, but you could break a raisin in half and give him that, or bites of bananas? Sometimes fruit treats are the best things you can give them! Ellie loves raisins and strawberry tops.

Last edited:
Yes, my boyfriend and I are 9-5'rs so unless my cat makes a ruckus whilewe're gone there is little to no noise in the house. It actually makes me nervousto leave a radio on! I'm sure rabbits are not the same but I had a cousin whocan only sleep with the radio on because that's how his mom used to put him tosleep at night. It could be worth a try if we find he's not really settling in.We're not terrible loud (or so I think!) when we're home but he could be perceivingit differently. He often freaks out when we hear nothing, and when the TV wasblasting last night he seemed perfectly fine (although he had his eyes on me, Iwas sitting in his pen).

I think I will try hand feeding him his dinner; he at least LOVES hispellets and his hay. So I think I'll start that this evening. I want him to getmore comfortable around us, and my Boyfriend gets so excited and wants to pethim so badly he often scares Pips. It's endearing that he wants to be a part ofthe rabbit's lives but very stressful right now. I used to read WITH my otherrabbits, but never to! It's a great idea!

I don't think I have ever seen him even sleep! It's so off putting becauseShino would never even blink when I came downstairs and made a fuss. He’salways got the widest eyes... I'm counting the days until I see a flop... heckI'd be happy if his ears just turned forward, they are back constantly.

We always have fruit in the house and so far I have only tried veggies.Hopefully I'll find something he can't resist and I'll be able to win his hearta little faster. Thank you so much for taking the time and sharing yourexperiences with me!

I had the same problem with Chive, my Female Lionhead. My other two rabbits are SO docile and friendly, she is definitely not haha :D

What I did was sit in her cage with her and just talk to her and hold my hand out for her to investigate. Once she actually started coming near me I started rewarding with dried banana pieces, which she LOVES!!! Now she can be patted and she is fine, in her cage anyways... when she is free range she is too busy for lovings. But will come for food, of course ;)

Patience and time! And some food won't hurt, haha :nod

Everyone has already given you the suggestions I would have. All I can add to that is that I have noticed first with Thumper who is as laid back as they come and now with the two new additions who are pretty flighty and do not like to be petted, is that the one time a bun (in my experience) is the least likely to give a care what you are doing, how close you are to them or if you are touching them is when they are doing something you do not want them to do.

For example when Thumper is chewing on a wall he does not care how I touch him or where. Most times if you touch one of his feet he will hop away. He could care less if he's chewing something he shouldn't.

With the new ones I am keeping them confined to their cage until they pee only in their litter box (don't worry there cage is big and they can even run a bit and binky in it). Now it did take a few weeks being here but now when I am at the door to their cage and they come over trying to get out I actually have to physically push them away. They don't care yet they still don't like to be touched at any other time. My reasoning could be completely wrong but maybe taking advantage of those moments when they are completely focused on what they are doing is a good time to take the opportunity to be near them and touch them to help them get used to it. If any of that makes any sense at all to you.

Thanks Guys! I think it's going to be a slow process. Yesterday he refusedto be hand fed! I have been sitting with him and talking/reading to him to tryand get him used to the sound of my voice. He is still a pretty jumpy littlething. Right now He's still way into everything around him so I wasn't able tofind him doing something he wasn't SUPPOSED to be doing and sneak attack apetting in. The house is pretty rabbit proof so until he learns he can jump thebarrier then I don’t think he will be doing "bad" things. He is waytoo skittish and freaks out at even the smallest sounds or movements. When Isit with him I have to be perfectly still or he runs away.

Tried regular banana and he wouldn't even touch it! I have apple so we'lltry that this evening. He's so hard to please!

We had another bonding session last night in the only neutral place that Icould think of - My bath tub! The rabbits have been literally everywhere in thehouse, one of the reasons I think bonding sessions have not been going well. SoI knew I needed to find SOMETHING. I put a towel down in the tub, got thebunnies and put them in a laundry basket together and walked around the housefor a moment. Then I put the laundry basket down in the tub and let them getout on their own. For the first time they were so busy exploring that theydidn't fight until almost 15 minutes in. Which is a record! I have the feelingthat they are both trying to be the dominant rabbit because they will justflatten themselves in that "groom me now" position and just stare ateach other.... which is surprising because we were all so sure Pips would bethe submissive rabbit.

This morning the divisions of their pen were pushed tight together from oneend to the other (they are separated by two NIC panels spaced several inchesapart to prevent fighting through the bars). I think he wants to be with Riza rightnow more than she wants to be with him as she is usually the instigator of thefights. We’ll try again this evening! I’m hoping that bonding them will helpwith Pips Shyness because Riza is so outgoing.

Latest posts

Back