Pip's surgery scheduled

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lscarincio

Reaction score
Well, Pip is going in for his neutering onwednesday. I am sure he will be fine. He is just sosmall (2 pounds or so) and I am worried about the anesthesia.I am hoping that this surgery will make him less aggressive (he lungesat and bites everyone in the family except for me, he cuddlesme:)) and less smelly -- his odor has gotten awful over thepast month.

Any tips on litter that is good for odor control? He is avery neat bunny and always uses one area of his litter box (which Iremove the waste from daily). Currently I am using Wheatscoop-- NEVER BUY THIS BRAND . I swear it makes the odorworse.

Well, have a nice weekend everyone. Enjoy the sunshine (if you have it :cool:)

Leigh-Anne and Pip

Hi Iscarincio,

I thought I saw Dootsmom saying to someone on the board that they couldtry the vanilla-in-the-water trick to help with the smell.

All I can think of is that "Friends" episode (A television show) ofPhoebe singing, "Smelly Cat, Smellllly Cat. What are they feeding you?Smelly Cat, it's not your fault."

For what it's worth, in my own experience, having my rabbit neutereddefinitely cut down on the odor, made him a better companion, and seemsmuch more at ease with Life and himself.

As to the anesthesia, if you have a veterinarian that you trust and hasgiven you good information and worked on a lot of rabbits, then I wouldthink optomistically. More times than not these days, they get theoperations right.

I'll certainly be thinking of you and Pip on Wednesday. Ask any and allquestions or concerns you have here and with your veterinarian.

I convinced that when a rabbit has to go for an operation, it's harder on us parents than it is on the rabbit.

-Carolyn

Carolyn,

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragment. I amsure Pip will be fine. I will try the vanilla in the watertrick. Hopefully once the hormones calm down the odor willbegin to as well. Thanks again :)

Leigh-Anne

Iscarincio,

No thank-yous necessary.

Keep us posted, and don't be afraid to voice your concerns.

-Carolyn

P.S. Great Avatar! :dude:

Leigh-Anne, your Pip is such a cutiepie! He looks like a little stuffed animal sitting in theflowers! Try some litter called Woody Pet. You canbuy it at a Tractor Supply store for about $5.00 for 30 or 40pounds. It has definitely helped on odors with myrabbits. Some other folks on this forum use it also, that ishow I found out about it. My male rabbit Trouble was neutereda couple of years ago and it has made a big difference inhim. At first he did not like to be picked up and heldmuch. I could only hold him for about a second and if I didnot put him down he would struggle and fly out of my arms.Now he lets me pick him up and cuddle. He is also not hashyper as he was before. Big improvement!Your little bun will do just fine.Keep us posted onhow things went. Beckie

Beckie,

Thank you so much for the information. I will lookinto the Woody Pet litter -- I have an Agway near my home, I am surethey would be able to advise me on where to get it.

That is encouragine to know that your liittle one felt"better" after the surgery. What a cute name,"Trouble". <---- isn't that thetruth!!

I will keep you posted, thank you for the concern :)

Leigh-Anne and Pip

I'm sure Pip will be just fine. The vanilla inthe water definitely helps. Apollo is still intact and it definitelyhelps. Pip is so cute. He definitely sounds like a momma's boy lol.

Tina

Carolyn, that is so funny you mentioned that song, that's exactly what I was thinking too. lol

Dolores,

Thank you :) I think he is acutie pietoo -- he is spoiled, that's for sure. Honestly, I am notsure what kind of dwarf he is. I was in a pet shop one dayand they had brought in a litter of babies from a local farm.I am quite sure he is not a pure bred. He was the runt of thelitter -- and actually he went through the first 5 months of his lifebeing called a "she". The store owners claimed that he was agirl, recently discovered that "she" was not. LOL.I would love to know what breed he resembles most, just so I would havean idea. Any suggestions?

Thank you for the lovely compliment.

Leigh-Anne

Tina,

Thanks :) I am sure he will be fine too.Pip is a mama's boy -- he is my first pet (outside of ones I hadgrowing up at my parents) so he gets a lot of attention. Somepeople think it is odd that I share my home with a lagomorph, but whena rabbit is free to explore their surroundings and get to know theirpeople, they develop personalities that are very endearing.Some people just don't get it!! LOL.

Pip thanks you for your concern :dude:

Leigh-Anne:p

aww! hes lovely! dont worryabout the surgery-im sure all will go well! batman is only 2lbs (and 6oz. :)) and there werent any problems. as for the odor control, i usecellsorb& it seems to do the trick.

Batbunny,

Thanks for the kind words. I will check outcellsorb. It is nice to know that another 2 pounder made itthrough the surgery okay. Thank you so much

Buck,

Great, thanks for the link. I checked it out and my local Agway carries it, rather cheap too :)

Cher,

Thanks for the hugs and the well wishes. We will keep everyone posted

Leigh-Anne and Pip

Leigh-Anne

Pip looks such a sweety!:pI will be thinking about him onWednesday as that is when my Crunchie goes in to have a lump removed. Iam sure little Pip will be fine both my buns have had anesthetics andbeen fine.

Let us know how he gets on.

Sue, Crunchie & Benjy

an update:

took Pippy for his neutering today. They looked at time andasked me to wait another month to see if he would gain another pound orso. He is a dwarf to begin with (2 pounds) and he is already7 months old -- so I doubt he will grow much bigger. Theyjust want to err on the side of caution in case the breeder gave me awrong date of birth on him. When I bring him back in a month,they will perform the surgery regardless, they just want to see hisweight progress. I am happy that they were cautious enough towait and that they didn't just go ahead with it.

on a sad note, I am staying at my parents house this summer.They have a bun that is over 10 years old, I am afraid that she ispassing away. she is rocking back and forth a bit, breathinga little heavier and has grinded her teeth a few times. Weare going to see how she progresses over the next hour, then take herto the emergency animal clinic or wait until tomorrow to have her putdown. She has had a great life, but I am still sad -- I hateto see that look in their eyes :(

on our way to the emergency clinic. wish us luck.

leigh-anne, Pippy and Butterscotch

My thoughts and prayers are with you duringthis difficult time. I will be hoping for the best. Hugs and positivethoughts your way.

Tina & Apollo

Thatis great newsthat your vet is concerned enough to err on theside of caution and wait it out a month forPip! Givethe little one another one of these forme
11_2_104.gif
(wellmaybe not that HUGE, he is such a lil guy)

But, Iam sorry to hear about the other bun..much love being sent from here too!

Cher, Jez and Jade

Tina and Apollo Cher, Jez and Jade,

Thank you for the prayers and concerns. When we took Butterto the ER, he stopped the teeth grinding and began to perkup. The vet said he may have been having an allergic reactionto something (which caused the shortness of breath). My momrecently switched brands of hay -- didn't think that would be thecause. Anyway, Butter is still alive -- he has lost somemotor function in his right/back lage. Mom and I are not surewhat to do. Should we have him put down because ofthis?? It is effecting hisquality of life, but hedoesn't seem to be in much pain. We are going to wait a fewdays tosee how his progresses. Thanks again foreverything.

Leigh-anne, Pip and Butterscotch

Back