pineapples

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maomaochiu

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been reading that pineapples are good to treat hairballs in bunnies. i was wondering:

1) is it good to PREVENT hairballs too?

2) is pineapple chunck better or juice better?

3) is the pineapple from cans o.k. or does it have to be fresh pineapple?

4) how much should maomaochiu have it? he absoulutely loves it!

thanks!

maomaochiu

I don't know the answer to your question, but I just wanted to tell you that I think maomaochiu is growing into such a handsome boy! I love his coloring.

-Amy

aeposten wrote:
I don't know the answer to your question, but I just wanted to tell you that I think maomaochiu is growing into such a handsome boy! I love his coloring.

-Amy
Thanks Amy! i love his coloring too! sometimes i think he looks like a lion, a female lion :D. I love the white spot below his neck. that is his bowtie. attached is another pic in which maomaochiu attacks a piece of pineapple in my finger (not shown)

If you get it from the actual pineapple, you know their hasn't been any sugar added, unlike if you get it from a can, they might have added sugar/those sugary liquids.
Really only thing to worry is about the sugar content.

Sweetdelight wrote:
If you get it from the actual pineapple, you know their hasn't been any sugar added, unlike if you get it from a can, they might have added sugar/those sugary liquids.
Really only thing to worry is about the sugar content.
thanks! i will watch for the sugar contents. btw, can I give maomaochiu pineapple everyday? or do ineed to save it for treating hairballs? i don't think he has hairballs now, but i was just thinking if ipineapple can prevent hairballs, then i'd just add it to his already well spanned daily delightfuly treats:bunnydance:

I only give Pebbles fresh pineapple when we have it.
It is usually a small piece at a time, like a treat. I guess moderation is the key word.
Pebbles prefers Papaya over Pineapple, which I give in tablet, fresh, and dried daily with no ill effects.

Rainbows! :)

There are different schools of thought on the effectiveness of pineapple in the treatment/prevention of hairballs. I believe that pineapple can make a difference. My vets will reccomend it when Amber goes into stasis, and it seems to do the trick. If your using fresh pineapple you can give about a teaspoon - or more in times of heavy shedding.

1) I don't know about preventing, but to prevent I know you should brush them daily during molt, feed lots of roughage (hay, ect) and make sure they stay hydrated to prevent hairballs

2) It needs to be fresh pineapple. The heating process with juice and cans kills the enzyimes (what you want if your trying to help with a hairball)

3) Fresh, like I said the heating process kills the enzyimes.

4) Maybe a tbsp of it at most. It was too acidey for Pepsi, and her mouth went all red so just watch it with the pineapple. I know my mouth hurts from the acide after I eat it.

You can give it everyday, just keep it as a treat. Lots of natural sugar :D

Boy, is he handsome! :D.

thank you all for your replies! i will do the fresh pineapple then. 1 tea spoon. guess igot toeat the rest of the can. hooray!!! am i his slave or what?!

Latest posts

Back