Pine Shavings?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JadeIcing

Reaction score
Are pine chaviongs ok? I found a big thing really cheap. I could use it for Ringo and the gps. So was wondering if it is ok.

Right now I buy 3 litters. Aspen for gps, carefresh for Ringo and yesterdays news for the rest of the bunnies. Ringo needs soft litter. So if I could get it to two litters that would be awesome.

I know ceder is bad but some places say stay away from pine others say it is ok.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
[*]pine and cedar shavings emit gases that cause liver damage when breathed by the bunny
Wow I never knew that, everyone I know keeps their buns on pine with no probs, I was once told that really dustypine shavings can shorten thier lives because the dusty affect their lungs but I have never had a problem *shrug* so i figured it was just another one of those weird myths that float around, hmmmmm...... this shall have to be investigated....

hellsmistress wrote:
AngelnSnuffy wrote:
[*]pine and cedar shavings emit gases that cause liver damage when breathed by the bunny
Wow I never knew that, everyone I know keeps their buns on pine with no probs, I was once told that really dustypine shavings can shorten thier lives because the dusty affect their lungs but I have never had a problem *shrug* so i figured it was just another one of those weird myths that float around, hmmmmm...... this shall have to be investigated....
The less dusty would be best, and the affects are long-term. So, if used for a brief period, would most likely not be an issue.
I'd just not risk it and use something else that's as soft;).

Yep, Shredded paper and straw is always the fave, among the rabbits,around here :Dsadly both are in very short supply here because of the drought(well not the paper but he straw), I simply can't afford to pay $14 for a bale of STRAW only to get home and find it's more than half mouldy :(!

If it can cause any problems what so ever it is a no in my book.

COMPLETELY agreed. :)

JadeIcing wrote:

JadeIcing wrote:
Well, let's take a look at this for a moment.

Carefresh is lauded as one of God's gifts to rabbits, but it can cause problems. First of all, Carefresh is chemically treated. Anything that's been through the paper process has been. Does that make it bad? No, but some people would say, "I'll never give my rabbits something chemically treated!"...but Carefresh and probably other similar paper beddings are. And they're dusty. And can cause allergies. But until you put your rabbit on it, how do you know if they're allergic? Softsorbant is another one. It's definitely chemically treated and is dusty. If it's ingested it'll cause impaction.

And then we get into the other problem Carefresh gives, and the bigger one: if they ingest too much, you get an impaction. And that, simple put, will kill a bunny. Have I seen it before? Yep. Rabbit died of complications after the surgery. And yet there were only a few pieces of bedding stuck in there, they were just stuck in a really bad place.

So let's look at pine shavings. First of all, there's kiln dried pine, which is different than your normal, run-of-the-mill pine. This kind of pine has been treated and is usually considered safe for rabbits.

And then you get articles like this.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/1155/Pine.html

It has a lot of good points. Although it isn't perfect.

And this will also probably tick someone off, but I don't want to tick someone off, I simply want to bring something new to this discussion, because so often, one little bit of information gets out and we don't really see the full scope of the issue. On the sources from the HRS, it says, "Aromatic hydrocarbons from cedar and pine bedding materials can induce the biosynthesis of hepatic microsomal enzymes"

But raised liver enzymes can mean nothing. And it can mean something. I've YET to get a really, really good journal on how "toxic" it is. And while I have utmost respect for the HRS I don't particularly care for many of their articles. First of all, they cite themselves. Anyone who cites themself without conducting the study (study using ths scientific method) by themselves raises a really big red flag in my book. No offense to them.

So, what about my own personal experience with pine shavings and rabbits? Well, let's talk bloodwork. Of six rabbits kept on pine shavings, two had very elevated liver enzymes, or at least certain liver enzymes. Well, one of them was dying of fatty liver disease and the other was in the dirtiest cage you've ever seen. It was unanimously agreed that while the pine shavings couldn't have helped very much, the biggest problem was the fact that it was walking around in month-old urine and didn't have hair on her back legs because they were so scalded, and little kids were constantly grabbing her and she hardly had any food was about three pounds underweight. Pine shavings weren't the biggest issue. (I will point out that this obviously was not a study conducted using the complete scientific method, and can hencefourth be blown off by many people, but I digress.)

And stress. Stress can tip a rabbit over the edge and shoot liver enzymes through the roof. And heptatic coccidiosis, which oftentimes only shows up as....death, and maybe anorexia.

There are just too many things that can cause a rabbit to have elevated liver enzymes or liver disease, that I would seriously question whether or not it is solely pine shavings that cause it.

All that being said, do I use pine shavings? No. Firstly, they make my allergies go haywire, and secondly, my rabbits prefer Softsorbant.

Hi,

I just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth Lol

I have raised rabbits for 14 years and i use pine shavings right from the mill handy here and (Keep fingers crossed) i have never had a rabbit sick from it.

Maybe i am just lucky but my friend also keeps her rabbits on pine shavings and never had a problem either.

Sorry if i ticked anyone off but just wanted to let you know.

Thanks.:dunno

I think the problem with pine shavings is sometimes they are collected along with shavings from plywood production and its the resins in the plywood that could be harmful to rabbits.

If they are kiln dried they are probably o.k. The kiln drying bakes off the any resins and other things that are considered harmful to rabbits.

That and 50 cents will get you a can of soda!:D

Ahh, this gets me worried about pine as a wood now :shock:. Until recently I've had rabbits outdoors in hutches made from untreated pine, and always the bunnies have chewed on it, and they've had pine chew sticks.

Am I meant to be worried about this? The pine is free from my partners work and it's 100% not treated with anything, but is it dangerous just as a wood? If so then 99% of NZ rabbits are chewing on pine (in their hutches) and should stop...

Ringo can not be on that for other reasons. He suffers from alot of health issues. Some of what the pine could effect even slightly could set him back alot. I can not risk that.

Carefresh is the only thing he can use that does not bother him. Also he doesn't eat it. Kicks it out but doesn't eat it.

NZminilops

I don't think you have to worry. I believe is the pine dust that would be in with the shavings that cause problems. Its like coal dust etc it can get into the bunnies lungs and cause respiratory problems.:D

Latest posts

Back