Pimple in scent gland?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PepnFluff

Reaction score
I just cleaned Peps scent glands and whilst cleaning her right one I noticed a small pimple like thing, it's not filled with puss or anything just a small red lump.

There was none oon the left hand side and I was wondering if anyone had come across something like this before?

Thats odd? Could it be infected or abcessed? Or even secondary to the scent glands? Was not even aware that buns have scent glands.. My female cat will get impacted anal glands from time to time and wondering if this is similiar.. Vet visit sounds in order though as I've read of buns getting abscess all over the place..

Will keep my paws crossed for you both!

It's confused me quite alot it sorta looks like an ulcer, the ones you get in your mouth on the pink fleshy lip part from braces rubbing......

I'll get a pict as soon as possible but i've got a new camera and the computer wont recognise it:grumpy:I've just asked mum can we go to the vet and shes like just leave it and see if it changes. Argh silly mother!

Well your Mum might be right and there is NO reason to jump to the worst possible conclusion.. Photos would definetly help and run down in your brain if any injury could have happened and/or any new food given to your bun recently?

Buns are so susseptible to dietary changes that you never know.. Or perhaps enviromental changes could cause it.. But would think its internal and then you need someone to diagnosis the problem.. Do you have a good Vet? If not I'd PM one of the Sr. MOds for help..

Is it just the one spot? And no crusties on the nose or mouth? Some sores are a sign of rabbit syphilis (easily treated with antibiotics).

Here's the Library link for that:

Vent Disease (Rabbit Syphilis)

Photos would be helpful.

Definitely keep an eye on it and if it gets bigger, get her in right away, you don'twant a developing abscess or something serious like that to run amok.

PS: Keep her bedding and litter very dry, you don't want it aggravated by urine burn (even if its just a bruisefrom a piece of straw).

sas :bunnydance:

They did just recently switch food that was about 2weeks ago and her poos have been fine, better actually. They also got a new grape vine ring. But there hasnt been any change of there environment beside moving them but thats nothing out of the ordinary. Yep my vets pretty good he seems to know what hes talking about and has been very good so far. Thanks for all your help Julie:)

Thanks for those links sas and I just checked with some of those pictures and it doesnt not look like that at all, but it might just be in early stages I dont know. She has no crusty looking things round her mouth or anything. I did notice when I was cleaning the glands that there was a substance that looked exactly like a concerntrated ear wax in there, im not sure if this is whats usually in scent glands as i've never cleaned them before....

Back