Piece of fur wrapped around baby's paw

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jocelbug

Reaction score
I checked on baby Orko today, and his front right paw was as big as a mole's paw! he is about 3-4 weeks old and his eyes just opened today, he had a piece of fur from the nest wrapped tight like a noose around his wrist and it was cutting into his skin. I called the vet and she said to remove the piece of fur as his paw was still pink and warm. we took a small pair of pointed scissors and cut the fur from around his paw. thank god he didnt bleed, his skin is very cinched in that area and both sides of the sight are swollen badly. he is still nursing really good and he doesnt mind to hobble around and put weight on the foot. the vet told me to come in to the office in 24 hours if the swelling hasnt gone down or if he suddenly starts acting weird or stops eating. has anyone had any experience with these types of injuries?? I was scared to death he was going to be deformed or lose his whole arm! IDK how long that fur had been around his wrist, the swelling just became apparent today....any words of encouragement would be good to hear right now, i feel like such a bad grandma....:bawl:

also, i took an old small-dog sized cage and lined the floor with newspaper and hay and put baby Orko in there with She-Ra. I am trying to decide what else to put in there for him. He has fur now and his eyes are open, but idk if he will be warm enuff without the fur from the nest?? im worried he will get wrapped in the fur again....need help with what to put in there please!

Fleece or the Clean and Cozy sound good! Some of the softer, green meadow hays would work too.

Don't feel bad - you took care of the issue! Big hugs!

Although it is not the same, I have seen plenty of dogs on tv shows such as emergency vets that had collars and such on that were too tight for them, had cut into the skin, and caused swelling similar to what happened to the bun. All of them healed well.

thanks! his paw is back to normal size, but he does have a little crust wring around his wrist, im sure it will heal. he doesnt seem to mind being in the cage with his mommy, and my kids have him out most of the time anyway. he loves to sleep ANYWHERE. his little bottom bounces up and down like hes hopping in his sleep, and he moves his mouth like hes nursing. it makes me wonder what little buns dream about.....so precious!

Latest posts

Back