Pictures Tutorial

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmberNBuns

Reaction score
[align=left]I have noticed that a lot of people need a helping hand getting their pics on to the forum.

First Thing: I would recommend getting photo editing software. Why?
(A) You can crop your pictureto just show your bunny, thus leaving out that bad hair day :dude:
(B) You can have fun with your pictures. Get your rabbit in the hip-hop club!
(C) Most importantly - You candrastically reduce the file size (kilobytes) of your pics withoutlosing detail or making them so small (dimensionally) we can't see itwell.

http://www.adobe.com offers free trialsof their software. I prefer Photoshop because it has a "savefor web" option. This option allows you to select fromvarious settings and preview what your picture will look like aftermodification, while showing you how long your picture will take todownload on the viewer's machines. You can cut a 3 minutedownload down to 5 seconds without compromising (much) quality in yourpictures. The Save for web option leaves your originalsintact if you save your pictures to a separate folder.

Be warned though: The download is over 150 Megabytes. Thatwill take ages for a dial up user. To purchase the softwareat a store will be costly also. There are many programs outthere. Check outhttp://www.download.com.The quality of freeware or shareware (nagware orcrippleware...) will probably be lower, but you may findsomething to suit your needs. I will check some out later andpost here if I find anything good for free.

Then you will need a place to host your files. Simplylinkingto their location on your computer will result inthose little red X images. many times yourInternet Service Provider will offer some free space. Comcastis great, as is AOL. I don't know specifically if they alldo, but I am sure if you go to their web page or call them you can findout if and how you can set it up.

If you need hosting - go tohttp://www.ripway.com. Youcan upload your pictures there and link to them from thisforum. They have a 30 Megabyte limit with a 5 megabyte perday transfer limit. But if you optimize your photos to beabout 10-15 kilobytes each, you should not have any problems with thislimitation. Video files will eat up your space and bandwidththough.

Upload your images (The web pages are prettyself-explanatory. If anyone needs more detailed step-by stephelp, feel free to ask!)
After you upload your images and get to your file list, there will be aline for each picture. Select the URL beneath the file youwant to insert into the forum here.

ripway.jpg

Just use your cursor to select from the http:// on to the end ofthe file name. Windows users can then copy it by hittingCTRL+C.
I don't know the copy and past keystrokes for macintosh. If you do, feel free to share.
Then Switch back to the window where you are posting your topic or reply.

forumpic.jpg

Click on the insert picture icon in the tools box. (Highlighted above)
You will get a prompt box asking for the URL of your picture.(Again, windows users only - ) Hit CTRL+V to paste the text.(Make sure it doesn't have a double http:// at the beginning.)Hit OK and Viola! Your picture is in your message!

You can also insert videos, but like I said, you have to watch the file size.
To insert it, just click on the media player button (highlighted below). This works the same as the picture button.

mp.jpg

I hope this helps a little. (And I hope this is not too confusing)[/align]

AmberN2buns,

This is extremely helpful. Thank you so much for taking yourtime to guide people in thisprocess!

-Carolyn

okay, let me just say first of all that im anidiot, so if im doing something obviously wrong and you have to tell meto do something incredibly simple, dont mind me...

Okay, i have the photoshop thingy, and i figured out how to cropit .but i cant figure out how to reduce the pixels or the size. anyone ableto help? i have Adobe Photoshop 2.0 StarterEdition.

Dreamgal,

You are NOT an idiot!

Hang on. I'm going to bump up a post entitled "Pictures and Avatars" and I hope it has your answer there. I think it does.

-Carolyn

Greetings Amber! :dude:

I know people will refer to this valuable post and if you can easilyanswer the question that Dreamgal poses here, that would make it aone-stop shop! :)

I'm not sure the other post can help her and since you've done such abeautiful job here in compiling the work, I apt to think that if she'srunning into this question, others will.

It's just a thought and to go into that file in your life of "I'll get to it when I can."

Thanks so much. You've been a God Send here.

-Carolyn

When you open up Adobe, there should be tabs onthe top "File Edit Image " etc acrossed the top...go to IMAGE, scrolldown the list to IMAGE SIZE and switch it to whatever you like :)

I dont see image....maybe im going blind...all itsays at the top of my adobe thingy is 'file' 'edit' 'view' 'tag' 'find''online services' and 'help'. What version of adobe are you talkingabout? the one im using says Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0StarterEdition.

2.0? Wow that's old...:) I'm using 7.0 forWindows98 .Ok, I dont really remember 2.0 but the image sizing shouldbe under view or edit.

Okay, i downloaded the trial of a newer version.But I still cant get my avator thingy working. Everytime i try, i click'browse', highlight the file, and click 'open'. then i click 'save' orsomething, and it says 'please specify a file to use as an avatar' andim like....i did!!! anyone know whats happening?

Oh, look! So CUTE!

I am going out to breakfast now, but when I get back today, I will add a little more info on this page for you guys...

TTFN :D

Hi, dreamgal! Sorry that you'rehaving problems. Wish that I could help, but I don't havethat version of Photoshop and so can't walk you through.Hopefully another one of the younger "experts" will come along and canlend some assistance in this area.

Good job, CuddlesMom! Cuddles is so precious! What a little angel! :)

Dreamgal,

I was having that problem on Friday trying to post a picture and once Iresized it in Image, it took. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Cuddles is a punkin! What beautiful colors together in this picture. Very well done!

-Carolyn

Okay, I finally got back to this one. Idid a search and finally found a free program that would suit our needshere. It is called easy thumbs and will allow you to saveyour images at reduced dimensions and quality.

Here is a link to the program - Easy Thumbs
This program is for windows systems. I am sorry, I have no way to test macintosh software...:?

This program is pretty simple to use. The commands are nothidden within menus, they are all pretty much right there on the screen.

easythumbs.1.jpg

You can select one file to resize, or you can do the whole folder by selecting "make all"

easythumbs.2.jpg

On the settings tab, you can select the maximum size for yourpictures. With the prefix/suffix box, you can add to the filename so you can differentiate between your originals and your smallerimages. The JPEG quality slider will allow you to reduce thefile size without reducing the dimensions of the picture. Itwill give you a preview so that you can see how it will look when it issaved. When you reduce the quality, your picture will becomea little more pixelly, but if it is just for viewing on the web, thenit won't show too much. If you are saving your pictures toprint, then the higher JPEG quality would be important.

When you have the Preview Output tab selected, the title bar at the topgives you a preview of the pixel dimensions of your new file as well asthe final file size. A file size of around 5-10 kilobytes(5120 - 10240 bytes) would take very little time to download for a dialup user (about 2 - 5 seconds.) Estimate about one seconddownload time for every 2048 bytes (2 kilobytes). Click themake button to save your image.

There you go. Now your picture is reduced for webviewing. You can use the attachment box to send the picturedirectly to the forum, or refer to the directions above to host yourfiles on the web and insert multiple pictures in one post.

Now you can take pictures of your buns doing tricks, and post them here for all to see!
buntrick.gif

Hope this helps!
goofysmile.gif

AMBER!!!! OMG you are AWESOME!!!!Thatsthe easiest program EVER!!! The thumbnails one!!! Why if you wherecloser to me id give ya a big olebunnyhug!!!:):):):):):):):):):)Im so excited! Oh yeah thats my lilguy !!! <~~~~~~~~~im so cheesey lol

Latest posts

Back