Pictures! And some minor success with the new bun!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rescuemom

Reaction score
Okay... So some of you know I recently ended up rescuing a new bunny. She's quite the cutie pie, but has some issues with handling, and is a very dominant bunny, who thumps, grunts and is overall, quite insecure when it comes down to it. I've been working drastically on getting her used to me, as well as used to me putting my hands in her cage, etc. No treats have worked so far - she won't eat when I'm around! But she's getting more comfortable, the more I try and the more I persist. I'm also doing short-bunny dates with her and Crush to get them to bond and so far, it's been good.

Yes, you'll see in the pics, that there are clearly crappy pet-store cages right now that they're housed in. This will be changing. I'm currently in the works of putting together a leveled NIC cage with a wooden frame to give them optimum space without taking away all the little space I currently have. They are, also, currently in a spare bedroom, where they each get separate roaming time throughout the day and occasionally, time together supervised as well.

In fact, the cage Fluffy is in, will be going to my hamster(a large Syrian) when I can re-house the buns.

Anyway... Pictures!

Fluffy, spayed female Lionhead, approx. eight months old:
DSC03861.jpg

Yes, you can probably see some greens(which she ate most of) and some pear(trying to find fruits that she likes for treats) on the floor.

DSC03860.jpg

Very curious about Crush and constantly checking him out - he was in his cage and I was working on getting Fluffy used to my presence during this visit.

Crush, neutered male Holland Lop, approx. three years old:
DSC03854.jpg

He was happily sitting under my futon(he likes dark places to hide and groom and hang out).

DSC03855.jpg

Crush has malocclusions and has to regularly have his teeth trimmed. Fluffy, on the other hand, has perfect teeth. Crush goes nuts over fruit, Fluffy could really care less. Crush is submissive, calm, laid-back, and LOVES to be handled, and pet. Fluffy is still learning that I am not a two-year old that will throw her and that I am SAFE to be around, she's slowly coming around.

Actually, the other day when I was working with her some more, she let me reach into her cage and rub her nose WITHOUT charging me or thumping at me. Small, teeny tiny bit of success, but it was a drastic change from her running away, hiding, or charging me!

Rescuemom wrote:
In fact, the cage Fluffy is in, will be going to my hamster(a large Syrian) when I can re-house the buns.
hehe, I'm actually in the midst of meshing the "bunny" cage my bunns used when they were too little for a NIC cage to turn it into a hamster cage for one of my Syrians. bit of a pain in the butt zip-tying hardware cloth to it (still working out how to mesh the panels that open to give access to the cage), but it's a perfect size for a hammy.

your bunns are super adorable! my lionhead's got a bit of an attitude as well, but she's also very loving - I'm sure yours will be too once she bonds with you. I dunno what it is about holland lops and lionheads, but they make for a very cute pair!

DSCF02902.jpg

Your buns are so cute! And yeah, Fluffy's cage is all smooth plastic, but at the top, it's got the wire lid, so it's perfect for a hamster. And I'm sure he'd love the space, just as much as my buns would love the space of a custom cage, lol.

Both rabbits are REALLY cute. Fluffy looks like she could use a good grooming. Her mane is everywhere. If I were you I would trim it up a bit, especially around the eyes/face. I am glad that they are making progress :D

Yeah, I'm nervous about trimming her fur. She does have a mat on her butt, which I have to clip off(from before I got her), but otherwise, I've been keeping up with the rest BUT HOLY CRAP DUDE... That fur really is insane.

I cut off my lionhead's skirt at one point because I was sick of stuff getting stuck in it (hay, carefresh, etc.). as far as trimming (as opposed to getting mats out) goes, I found it quick and easy to hold a section of fur between the index and middle fingers of one hand while trimming *just* above my fingers with the other - that way, there's no worries about getting too close to the skin or the bunny jerking away at the wrong time or something.

Oh my goodness.....I have so many thoughts about this thread :)

1. Sam I think it is wonderful the progress you are making with fluffy and it is so awesome you are giving her a new chance at a happy life. My gut tells me she will completely come around eventually :)
2 crush and fluffy are SO flipping cute! I might bunny nap them
3 @jennifer, after I bunny nap crush and fluffy, im coming after your two. OMG I've followed so many of your posts and seen pics but it must have slipped my mind how cute they are
4. Lastly, I've been contemplating a second bun for awhile now. While I don't have a breed I've looking for per se, I feel drawn to holland lops every time. Now I feel like they do make a great duo. Thisnconfirms why I keep leaning towards a holland :)

Lol! Get past the dogs and snake, I dare you! They guard my bunnies with their lives!

JK. Glad you guys like them so much.

And Agnes - Hollands have ALWAYS been my favorite. They're adorable and soooo sweet. I do, also find it's easiest if you have a rabbit that is naturally very laid back, and if not, go for one that is. It has made this process soooo much easier.

I started cutting out and brushing out the mat on Fluffy yesterday with the help of my fiance(who hasn't had much to do with them) and I was talking about renaming her - he suggested Calypso because it was 'bad***', lol! But he helped me and I'll be doing more with her coat later.

I don't have the problem with hay or anything, to be honest. There's hay in the litter box over yesterday's news and there's hay in the dispenser above the litter box, and she has a fleece blanket to lay on when she feels like it, but no bedding otherwise. She was originally on Carefresh, but it was constantly stuck in her coat and she was pooing and peeing everywhere but her litterbox, so I started training immediately and she's doing great.

Crush, while having never had a litterbox before, took to it with such ease, it made me proud! He too, is in the same set up.

the hay is more of an issue for me 'cause my bunns are younger and therefore still on alfalfa ;)

the last couple bags of alfalfa I've gotten have been nothing but sticks and fluff - the stalks are long and hard and the leaves aren't really connected to them so they fall out in piles of fluff. they like the fluff best, and if I put this defective alfalfa in a litter box or manger as-is, the fluff ends up falling through the litter box grid and going to waste, so I tend to put the sticks in the box and the fluff in a bowl. this leads to Nala getting tons of fluff stuck in her mane. there's not much in there - yet - in this pic, but there's a little bit :p

DSCF02292.jpg

All so cute!!
Lionheads always amaze me for some reason... just the way they look... hah. Not like anything else!

Wow! They're both so adorable! Fluffy looks like an an angora, she's so fluffy! :)

So can you use lionhead wool to spin or is it more like regular bunny hair but long? Some of the double maned lionheads really look like my angora.
HoudiniBeautiful.jpg

Houdini is BEAUTIFUL!!! We need updated pictures of each of your bunnies. We need indevidual photos as well as group/pair photos PLEASE Brandy!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back