Pic's of My Hutch and some set up ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
funnybunnymummy wrote:
BTW, your rottie was gorgeous. We had a friend who lost hers quite young due to cancer too. So sad. :(

Rue

Oh thank you! I never knew how to do that :biggrin:

Chewy was my baby. So many Rotties are dying young with cancer. Next time I will be doing base line ultrasounds at 3-4, then maybe yearly to watch for changes. By the time we found his tumor he was already dying. It was so sudden though, no symptoms until one Thursday he was a bit depressed so I rushed him to the vet (I'm a worrier), Monday was his ultrasound, Wednesday I held him in the vets office and sent him to heaven... I don't have kids, I have my animals. My family took his death very hard, and I still shed tears over him. My bunnies are really helping me to heal and giving me a place to pour my love in (poor bunnies!) :wink

Rottweilers are hit hard by certain health issues, Both mine came from good lines and I hope they are here for many many years. How old was your boy? Did he come from good lines? Do you have his background? I am just wondering. Are you on any of the Rottweiler Boards?

Joe.G wrote:
Rottweilers are hit hard by certain health issues, Both mine came from good lines and I hope they are here for many many years. How old was your boy? Did he come from good lines? Do you have his background? I am just wondering. Are you on any of the Rottweiler Boards?

Chewy was 9.5 years old. I bought him from a PA breeder when he was a puppy, chose him from his litter. I have his pedigree and was registered with the AKC. I'm thinking his line was inbred too much and I would never use that kennel again as I have heard some really bad things. I believe the dogs there are bred for size. His father was 150lbs. And his mother was 140 lbs, way over the standard for the breed. I held him down to 95 lbs bc he had blown cruciate ligaments in both knees and had thousands of dollars of surgery. I called him my 10,000 dollar dog. He was also dysplasic in both hips, which had been x-rayed by my vet and were considered excellent prior to 3 years old.

My contract said I could have returned him at any time in his lifetime if he developed a genetic defect, but only if he was in tact. I fixed him as soon as he was old enough, but I wouldn't have traded him for the world! He was my baby. And had the sweetest disposition in spite of the amount of pain he lived with for nearly his entire life off and on. As to whether some genetic variation would have prevented his tumor? Who knows...:(

I am curious as to who his parents are, I just fixed my female after Christmas she was 5.5 Yo. My male just turned a year and he is still in tacted not sure when or if Ill be fixing him. They say the males should not be fixed in till at least 18 Months old do to them not being completely grown and matured and also cancer rates.

Are you going to get another?

Ok I have added boot trays to the bottom of the Hutch to catch all of there Droppings and boy do they have a lot, It has made clean up so much easier and make the whole clean up process so much better. ( did the same to the bottom of the Chickens roost ).

IMG_4600.jpg

IMG_4601.jpg

IMG_4609.jpg

IMG_4595.jpg

IMG_4597.jpg

IMG_4598.jpg

IMG_4616.jpg

IMG_4621.jpg

IMG_4613.jpg

Yea, everyone I talk to about outside set ups love those trays. Makes it very easy to keep clean up. Do you do anything with the poo? They are very good to put in the garden or compost.

Nice looking chickens. See you have some guinea hens. They are excellent to have around to keep the bugs and ticks away. What I hear, they think bugs and ticks are yummy.

K :)

Right now I toss it in one of my streams, I don't know what else to do with it since my dog's will not stay out of it.

Great natural fertilizer. Promoting good algae growth, but I wouldn't over do it. You don't want to change the stream's balance. The fish will love it.

Know what mean about dogs and rabbit poo. Won't hurt them. As a matter of fact, to a dog that's roufage (sp? sorry it's early). But every thing I've read, it's not harmful to the dog. And dogs eat grass all the time to remove the mucus from their digestive system.

K:)

I have some big streams on my property I hope I don't add enough, I want to make a pile of the Chicken and the Rabbit stuff to use for the gardens. Ill have to fence it in to keep dog's out of it.

Just an FYI, if using antibiotics on any of your animals, I would throw away their waste. Not in the stream or garden. In the trash. Give it a few months and then you can start over. It's just that you don't want to put that antibiotic into your streams or your garden.

But sound like you got a plan. Wishing you all the luck.

K

There just on feed, and some treats, I didn't want to put it in the stream but no matter where I put it the dog's would find it, So for a temp solution that's what I came up with I figured all of the wild animals around here who go or there waste find there way into the water a little extra wouldn't hurt, I know when we spread the fields some finds it way into the streams.

Your bunnies and chickens are fine now, but if they ever need antibiotics, I would refrain from dumping their poop while medicate. That's all the FYI was for.

Gee wish I had clean streams here in New Jersey. At least in my area. The environment here has been totally destroyed. It's a shame. This used to be the Garden State, now it's the "Dump your Crap" State.

Example: The NJ Transit near our streams dumped or spilled 26,000 gallons of diesel fuel. You should see what has happened to our streams. And they are denying it ever happened. That's how pathetic it is here. Bad enough we are in the township that houses the 4th Deadliest Superfund site in the Nation, known as GEMS and they are allowing man-made uranium to be pumped thru secondary sewer lines. And this Superfund sits in our aquifer. So basically the drinking water is now being pulled from the Delaware, which this sewage after so-called cleaning is being dumped in.

bunny poop is totally harmless. Just watch when you need to use medicine. Otherwise, do what you must. You are not hurting anyone or anything. I just didn't want you putting it in your garden and then you will be exposed to the medicines.

Stay safe.

K :)

Back