picky sickly rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenApple

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a picky eater and I dont know what to do. She is recovering from GI Stasis but she is not eating well. The vet said she needs to change diets, her old pellet food was too high on sugars and carbs, but my rabbit refuses to eat the new pellets. Lady Pil, the picky one, used to eat Fiesta Max, and even then she only ate the seeds, nuts, and sweets, she always left most of the pellets behind. Now, I am trying to get her to eat Oxbow's essentials pellets (no sweets, nuts or additives). However, Lady Pil refuses to eat. I mixed a little bit of Oxbow's pellets with Fieta Max pellets but I took out the seeds and sweets. Lady Pil didnt like that, she refuses to even touch the pellets if they do not have her old sweets.
She is eating her hay, but she just wont go near the pellets. what can I do?
also, I was a horrible parent and didnt give her enough veggies before, I mostly fed her fruits. So now I am trying to get her to eat vegetables. She wont eat them! she will only eat cilandro. I tried lettuce but she just chinned it and moved on. I tried mint, celery, pumpkin, basil, carrot tops, she just looks at the veggies and turns her back on them. how can I entice her to eat some of the new veggies? I tried putting it near her mouth but she got offended.
how can I get my picky eater to eat healthy pellets and veggies?

Don't stress about it. As long as she's eating enough hay it won't hurt her to not have pellets for a little while. You can't make her eat them, so just make sure she always has lots of hay to eat, and if she likes cilantro then feed her cilantro. You can give her the cilantro and maybe a little bit of green or red leaf, or romaine lettuce(since she chinned it I would think that means she has some interest in it), and I would bet eventually she'll try it, and when she does then you could start giving her a little bit more of it. Always keep her dish of pellets in there and eventually she'll probably get interested and start nibbling on them, but for now the hay and cilantro is fine. It's possible that she's not as interested in the pellets right now cause she's still getting syringe fed the critical care. If you feel like she's eating enough hay you could ask your vet about cutting back or even stopping the critical care.

Latest posts

Back