Picking up Rabbit!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupertismygod

Reaction score
How do I make my rabbit comfortable before picking him up?

He hates being picked up, each time I try to pick him up he either runs away or when I lift him he starts kicking back really hard.

rupertismygod wrote:
How do I make my rabbit comfortable before picking him up?
Many rabbits never enjoy being held, so if yours is one of those it's more a case of getting him resigned to being picked up when you need to rather than making him like it. My first rabbit, Scone MacBunny, didn't like to be held and after a minute or two at most he'd start squirming and kissing my nose - that was our "put me down" signal. It helps if the rabbit is confident that you'll put them down if they ask, and you won't trap them. My present rabbit, Natasha Rabbitova, loves being held and will snuggle in my arms for half an hour or more (by actual timing).

I've found two things that help - first, make sure the rabbit knows your intentions. It's alarming for a ground creature to suddenly find itself flying through the air. I always talk to the bunny and tell him/her, "I'm going to pick you up now." Second, you need to make the rabbit feel secure as possible while you're doing the picking up. I try to put my right hand under the bunny's chest, between the front legs, and then quickly scoop up the butt with my left hand so that they're a bit balled up and secure. Then, as soon as possible, I get all four feet against my chest or supported by my left arm, which leaves my right hand free for petting.

Both Scone and Natasha reacted well to that procedure, and settled in immediately. Scone preferred to be held horizontally on my arm, while Natasha would rather be vertical with her butt on my left arm and her head under my chin.

You have to be very careful not to let the rabbit get into the habit of kicking. They can injure themselves badly (not to mention the rabbit tracks on your arm, which you'll get used to). Even rabbits who like to be held (like Natasha) will be startled sometimes and kick without thinking.

If he starts kicking, get control right away - get his backside supported and curled under his body as quickly as possible. I always say, "no no, it's OK" in a calm voice, and as soon as Scone or Natasha heard and felt that I was in control they'd calm right down. It's a matter of time to get them in the habit, but it's worth it.

You could also try "trancing" the bun before the pick up. If your bun trances when you pet a certain way, like mine does when we pet his chin and jowles, he's out.;)

Like Mike said though, most buns don't like being picked up. If yours is kicking, it's a good indication it's scared. You can work around this though, and as bunny gets more comfortable w/ you, it should stop or at least lessen. Best of luck! I know how irresistible they are, and you just want to hold them.:biggrin:

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
You could also try "trancing" the bun before the pick up. If your bun trances when you pet a certain way, like mine does when we pet his chin and jowles, he's out.;)

Like Mike said though, most buns don't like being picked up. If yours is kicking, it's a good indication it's scared. You can work around this though, and as bunny gets more comfortable w/ you, it should stop or at least lessen. Best of luck! I know how irresistible they are, and you just want to hold them.:biggrin:
Becareful with trancing I know people who have tried it only for their bunnies to end up injured.

My rabbits hate to be picked up so in general I just try no to do it and cuddle with them on the floor. I save picking up for times that they need to be picked up, for vet visits and nail trims.

Over time one of my buns has become more comfortable with it, so now we will pick him up occasionally to transport him around the house. We try not to overdo it though, because doing it all the time is a good way to make them hand shy.

Latest posts

Back