Picking up my bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babymommy

Reaction score
I have a question. When wefirst got our little Baby, she wasn't too sure about being picked up sothat we could put her back in her cage. Then after a coupleof weeks of getting use to us, she was very easy to pick up and putback in her cage (just had to watch those back legs).

Now, this past week, we're playing chase again when it'stime to be put up and those back legs surely have to be watched.

Is there a reason she's gone back to not liking it? Does she just not want to be put up?:?

Hi babymommy,

It would really help if you chose a darker color for your font. The pink is pretty, but very hard to read.

Check out this website, and be sure to look at the pictures posted. It'll be helpful.

Always make sure that once the rabbit is picked up, you to put its fourpaws on you or secure them so that the rabbit feels safe. Shemay have felt safe, or is just picking up on yournervousness.

http://www.hrss.net/aar/care/care_handling_pick.html

:)

-Carolyn

P.S. She could be playing chase as a game with you.

Thanks Carolyn,

I read the ariticle. That's how we pick her up. Shejust seems to have gone from being ok with that, to not wanting us toeither pick her up or not wanting to get back in the cage.Maybe she's not getting enough play time and this is her way ofsaying...........nope, not ready to go back in right now. Shewas funny last night. She grabbed a newspaper i had in thefloor and took off down the hall with it.:D

I got this pamphlet with Megan's Starter Kit thatactually said "It's not safe to pick your bunny up by the ears" lollike...who doesn't have enough sense to do that anyway??? lol

Hi Babymommy,

Was hoping that you weren't offended about the pink font. I'mold and my eyes aren't what they used to be. Thanks for beingso gracious. :)

She's just being a nudge. Some rabbits don't ever get used tobeing held; Tucker's not. I envy those people who are able tohold their bunnies on their lap for a while. Even 5 minuteswould be nice. Tucker tolerates it, but that's all.The only time he hasn't minded it is when there's been a problemandit really worried me at the time.

Your little one is still a baby, correct? I'd still try towork with her in getting her to being used to being pickedup. I wish I had worked with Tucker more. I let himhave his space. It's not a big deal because he'll jump on thecouch next to me and cuddle up to my leg, so I'm still able to hug him,but his feet have to be on the couch or the floor. He'smellowing with age though, and some rabbits mellow after beingfixed. Not all, but some.

Wish I had moreto offer. :?

Love how the little one took off with the newspaper down thehall! Now that's One Happy Rabbit! And aTroublemaker too! ;)

-Carolyn

Baby is a baby bunny, I got her from the mallstore at Easter for my daughter. I would guess maybe she's acouple of month's old now.

I will try to work more with holding her. I usually only pickher up now to get her out and put her up. My daughter learnedthe hard way about her back feet. Her wrist got all scracthedup. I had to wash it and put and antobotic cream on herwrist.I pet her like crazy and she loves that. WhenI start petting her from the nose all the way to her tail, she justgoes flat on the ground and kind of closes her eyes, like she's lovingit.

Trouble, definately! If I get a bag of treats out to give herone, and it's within her reach, she'll try to take it from me.

And no worries, no offense taken to the font deal!;)

I think your baby is just being like a bad childand not wanting to go in her cage and be apart from the family. I havesome I cannot pick up but they will hop on couch to get pets. Try tomake cage going a pleasant experience with lots of pats and treats

MyBunnyLovesMe wrote:
I got this pamphlet with Megan's Starter Kit that actually said"It's not safe to pick your bunny up by the ears" lol like...whodoesn't have enough sense to do that anyway??? lol

Actually Michelle,

I'm glad you posted this. In my years, I've come to find that common sense isn't common.

Good On Ya!

Bunty,

Good suggestion!

babymommy,

When your little one rests her head on the floor and closes her eyeswhile your petting her, she's 'presenting' herself. That's her way ofsaying: "More, More, More!" She loves it.

You'll have to keep those nails trimmed, I guess, in order to avoidyour daughter and you getting scratched. Long sleeves help too.

-Carolyn
-Carolyn

My math teacher once said, "the least common ofthe senses is common sense." It's true. My dad picked Mocha up bythe ears and drug him out from his hiding place. I got so mad at my dadand after yelling and screaming at him he said he won't do it again.

Laura, Moch, & Spice

:shock:picking bunnies up bythe ears! oh my! batman likes to have his ears (gently) tugged andsometimes his front feet come up with them, but then he just sits upanyway. hehe.

I think with the "youngings" you are going to findthat their likes and dislikes will change on a daily basis! They arestill trying to figure out what works for them, and will baffle youwith how quickly they change their minds-It will make no sense to youwhatsoever but believe me~to them, it makes perfect sense-and I have toagree with Carolyn that it could very well be sensing yor nervousness,or she just is not in agreement with you about it being time to go home!

OH MY MBLM-your going to roll your eyes at this one...The first time Ihad a private (English lesson) at my house, one of the Chinese teachersran to my bunnies cage and asked if she could pet "her" (being Jade,who loves pets, so I let her) While her hand was in the cage she askedme if I pick them up like this.....................

SHE PROCEEDED TO GRASP my poor little girs ears in one hand:shock:(but did not make the pick up motion, for ifshe did-well, lets just say my butt would of been deported from thiscountry for murder.........)

d'oh!

Cher

Can your bun hop back into the hutch from thefloor? It's just that ifit can do this, you canoften teach them by voice command to go into the hutch.

However, if they do go back in, don't slam the door shut and leave it,let it run in and out and when it goes back in maybe givethewee thingabit of carrot or cabbage or something sothat it learns that it's not going to 'prison' when it hops inthere. You could also point to the hutch saying "hutch" or"home" then if they do hop on in there, give them a treat... soon youwon't need a treat, when you say "home"it'll go.

I read in the newspaper yesterday that a pet shop in Aberdeen, Scotland(ah, how I want to go back!) has trained their rabbit to take moneyfrom the customers and put it in the till. They have goodretention skills and it would be hard work, but such a reward once theyare trained.

I know she can hop out of the hutch forsure. It opens from the top. Something tells me ifshe can get out, she can get in.

I want to train her to do that, but I'm not sure I can master that onewith her. I've litter trained her. I'm still tryingto break her of ripping my carpet up. It would definately benice to get her to go in the hutch on command.:cool:

LOL I know how you feel... we're gradually gettingHenry to calm down when we pick him up, but he's such a wee rascal anddoesn't want to go back to his hutch sometimes that he just scurriesaway and hides!

Thanks, now i don't feel like she's the onlyone!!!!:cool: That sounds just like my Baby. Ithought I had a picture of her on cd, but for some reason didn't getthat roll on cd. I'll have to do something about that so Ican post a picture of her.

HOW ever or WHERE ever do you all get those emoticons? Your's, Bunnymommy made me chuckle in my chair here!

P.S. Never fear, my girls do not come out when I am teaching at home-NOT NOW, especially....wow...

Latest posts

Back