Picking a future home for bunnies? Criteria?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnootyPuffs

Reaction score
I've got such potentially good homes lined up from different people that now I don't know what to do. I do feel it's best for my situation to rehome these buns so I'm going through with it. Of course, I'm picky and wishing I could pinpoint a home with someone like the many bunny enthusiasts on this forum. How do you know you have a good home?

I've got one person who's a college student that seems to really want my bunnnies and knows that bunnies must be kept indoors. She had bunnies before and does indicate to me valid knowledge of proper bun' care. My only hesitation is what happens once you graduate? or have to move? Sometimes people move back home or into another situation with people with allergies, then they decide to give up bunnies ( I'm just thinking worst case scenarios).

Another potential home is by a rabbit hobbyist that has intensive experience, already has angora show bunnies (kept indoors). It sounds like a great home because she's seeking Rex type bun's so her son can interact with bunnies and she's involved in pet therapy. You'd think I'd be picking this one immediately right? My only (paranoid) worry, is What if this person gets overwhelmed with too many bunnies (plus has other pets) and later does a rehome?

Okay, between the two who would you pick?
College student who's sole pets are the three bun's, thus they'll likely be babied, but who's living arrangement could drastically change later?
or
Experienced hobbyist that owns home, already has bun's, has a purpose for the bun's, but makes me wonder if they'd be given up later (hasn't given me any hint of this, it's just my paranoia lol!)?

Go ahead and tell me I'm just paranoid LOL!

I'm really leaning towards the experienced hobbyist. But, I wonder if my buns would be better in the home with the one who's only furry pets would be these bunnies?

You're not being paranoid at all. This is exactly why rabbit breeders create sale policies. All to often, we've heard of horror stories where people sold their rabbits to uneducated and/or irresponsible owners, only to later find out that the rabbit they sold either died from lack of proper care, was mistreated, or dumped off in a field to fend for itself.

When we sell our rabbits, we make absolute sure they are going to good homes. By this, I mean we take the following precautions:

-We REQUIRE all of our buyers to return their rabbits if at any point in time they can no longer care for them. We ensure this by a written contract.

-We give first time buyers informational packets about general rabbit care and we check up on the rabbits and their owners as often as we can. We will do this for the life of the rabbit.

-We flat out ask all of our buyers if they truely understand what it takes to care for andKEEPa rabbit that may very well live to 10 years old. If they can't answer that correctly, we will deny the sale, no exceptions.

So far, these policies, among a few others (which you can view on our website for references) have worked out fairly well with us, our buyers, and our rabbits.

Your sales policies sound spectacular, Inle. If only all rabbitries everywhere were as careful and considerate of the life of the rabbits as yours.

Rehoming 3 rabbits in one shot is a big deal, and it's a big deal for anyone agreeing to adopt all 3 so it's wise to carefully consider the options. My opinion is that the hobbyist would be a more stable home. Presumably since she/he has a family a herd of show bunnies, they won't be picking up and leaving anytime soon. If the son is not too young this could be a great place for your bunnies to call home.

My concern with the college student is the same as yours. Stability is big deal, and so is the financial ability to keep and maintain 3 rabbits. I have 3 rabbits and I have spent thousands on them already in a couple years, between cages, food, hay, vet bills, toys...etc. etc. Can a college student realistically prepare for the costs involved? Plus, you can't put the rabbits on hold during exam time. Or job search time. Or when you need to work insane hours as the newbie on the first job out of college.

I don't mean to say college students don't make good bunny parents. But to go from zero buns to three buns is a lot for anyone to handle, even more so for someone at such an important junction in life. If it were me, all else equal, I'd pick the hobbyist.

Inle - oh, those policies are stellar!

Kirby - thanks for your input. I've actually chosen neither of these two homes. The college student's life is indeed too busy, so she emailed to let me know. The hobbyist is a good home, but I keep having a bad feeling so I've decided not to let my buns go there either. She said everything right and would pass any rescue group's questions. It's just that I didn't sense that she was THAT enthusiastic to get my buns for herself.

They're still with me :D

I do have another potential home up.

But sometimes one has to keep thinking, um, maybe they are best with me despite my stupid circumstances/reasons to consider a rehome.

Well, clearly the buns are well cared for and you love them so of course you'd always know they were best with you :)

My thought is, if it doesn't feel right in your gut, then don't let your buns go with those folks. You're right - sometimes a person will say everything right but we'll have a bad feeling about it. Even if we can't put our finger on it. Sometimes, adoptions just don't happen because of that. It's a match that we have to help our bunnies make and it's really up to us to give them the best chance at a good second life, you know?

Kirbyultra, I have to agree with you! I do not know how on earth breeders/rescuers part with rabbits all the time. It's agonizing! I could do this only if I kept very few bunnies (rescue only for me, not anti-breeding, just feel like directing towards rescue because the problem is huge!) and carefully selected homes one at a time. My method would weed people out, it would also (unfortunately) send them to someone less scrutinizing. Bunnies are everywhere!!! for sale at bizarrely cheap prices, and free.

If it were me, I'd sell pet rabbits with a spay/neuter requirement.

But, that's just my idea. I have a friend that is an obsessed Labrador Retriever enthusiast. She has homes chosen BEFORE planning a litter and only breeds to continue lines she likes plus pick one or two for training. They don't do the show ring scene but focus on field trials (feel the show ring is just a beauty contest, but that's another story). I think she's got a few rescue labs too but I'd have to ask.

I have a "rescue" lab myself. My neighbor let me have their goofy lab. Actually Hunter picked me and that's why I've got him. He's hilarious! This dog is fascinated by fireworks and has come along to watch when we all go to see the city fireworks display in July (normally this is not advisable with dogs but...). I'm spoiled by this! My other dogs are "normal" and find fireworks scary. He's an ex-gun dog (working bird dog) which explains why he kind of enjoys gunshots (can't watch action themed movies w/o him staring at the tv), and fireworks. Okay, that has nothing to do with rabbits but he is great with the bunnies. I think he thinks they're cats.

Back