Photos of Body Faults

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was using my cheap digital camera, so the photos are blurry, but I think it gets the point across :)

Pam

Great article Pam!

I like to know how my rabbits stack up against their breed specs, even though all of them except Mocha would get laughed off a show table (and they're all neutered). I wish I knew the pedigree of my dwarf hotots because I swear they have Britannia Petite in them. Sprite was sold to the original owner as marginally showable but she has so many body faults I don't see why the breeder would bother saying that. Although I wouldn't be surprised if she's the only dwarf hotot breeder for a long way so it might not take much for a dwarf hotot to do well at 4H.

Totally cute, but not what a "show quality" dwarf hotot should look like;) (her head is turned slightly towards the camera, it's actually a little longer):
206dg5f.jpg

Are mottled blue/brown eyes faulted? I thought I saw somewhere that they were.

Out of curiosity (and because I like to pick your brain), how do the genetics work with the eye mottling? If you had a lot of mottled eyes showing up in your litters, how would you fix or prevent the problem?

naturestee wrote:
Out of curiosity (and because I like to pick your brain), how do the genetics work with the eye mottling? If you had a lot of mottled eyes showing up in your litters, how would you fix or prevent the problem?

In the case of the Dwarf Hotot, the blue are spots/crescents are associated with the Dutch marking gene. There isn't anyway to completely eliminate them.

The Vienna (blue eyed white) gene is responsible for similar spots in the eyes.

The chinchilla breed is often responsible for creating mottle eye color in other breeds.

Pam

Great site! I really enjoyed reading about the characteristics like that.

Do you have any others we could read (or know of any good ones)?

Back