photographing rabbits with red eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvthempigs

Reaction score
Does anyone else have problems taking pictues of white rabbits with pink eyes? Everytime I take pictures of any of my white buns I get a bunch of photos with red eyed rabbits. I have tried two different photo editing programs to fix the photos and it doesn't seem to work withanimal eyes:rollseyes

I have even tried to turn the flash off and then I get blurry pictures :X Any tips would be appreciated :)

jackandfishaug09002.jpg

jackandfishaug09001.jpg

It's not really the rabbits' red eyes that you're seeing. All rabbits will display "red eye" if you take pictures with on-camera flash. Actually, all mammals will do that, including humans, although with some animals it's really "green eye". The red is a reflection of the flash off the retina (the back part of the eye).

The real cure is not to use flash, but as you've said, there may not be enough light for sharp pictures. Next best is to use a flash which isn't right next to the lens - an external flash will usually be far enough off the axis of the eyes that the reflection doesn't wind up back in the lens. Or, try putting a handkerchief over the flash, or a reflector to bounce the flash off the ceiling instead of straight into the bunny's eye.

Once you've got the red eye, though, it is easily fixed. The red-eye tool in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements works just fine to correct red eye in rabbits. I've used it for Scone many times. You just select the tool and click somewhere in the eye. You can do the same thing manually by selecting the "blown out" part of the eye with a circular selection tool, and paint in dark grey or darken (dodge or brightness adjustment) the area until it's no longer so bright.

One thing I do notice about those pictures is that the red eye isn't really very red. I'm not sure why that would be - when Scone's pictures have red eye, they're really really red. Perhaps the photo program you're using isn't capable of detecting the very light image as being red. If you're doing something to the picture first which might be lightening the eye color, try using the red eye tool first. Or, maybe try darkening the eye area with the program before you use the red eye tool.

I struggle with mine, but both my REWs deserve the 'demon' look, so its fine with me :p

Thanks for the tips, Hopefully I will get it figured out :blushan:I would love to share more pictures of them but I hate to do it with the eye color messed up.

LOL! None of my REWs deserve the title of "demon" though :biggrin2:;)

I find that if you take the photos in natural light it works. I have a pic from today of a REW in natural light. I will get it uploaded later post it here.

Okay, Maybe the room where I take most of the photos is just too dark. I will have to try a lighter room or maybe even outside.

I look forward to your pic's

I find that pictures of all my animals look better in natural light, so I like to take pictures of them outdoors.

I am glad you posted this because I have the same problem. I will have to try out some of these tips.

MikeScone wrote:
The real cure is not to use flash, but as you've said, there may not be enough light for sharp pictures. Next best is to use a flash which isn't right next to the lens - an external flash will usually be far enough off the axis of the eyes that the reflection doesn't wind up back in the lens. Or, try putting a handkerchief over the flash, or a reflector to bounce the flash off the ceiling instead of straight into the bunny's eye.
Mike has been giving some very good tips in several of his posts on picture taking.

I just got back from the shelter and I took some of these pictures today. This bunny was a stray and turned into the shelter on Tuesday. She will be up for adoption on Saturday.

2eclphu.jpg

I never have problems with animal eyes. The picture is a direct flash, butthe flashis high enough on the camera that the reflection doesn't go back into the lens. My secret is to shoot at the largest aperture opening that your camera allows (eg. f 2.8) and I am able to turn down my flash power (eg. 1/8 of the flash) and still beable to get a bright picture. What I'm actually doing is shooting with available light and using the flash to fill in light.Their eyes are natural with no adjustments. When it comes to Photoshop, I have no idea how to use it. :p

Amy27 wrote:
I am glad you posted this because I have the same problem. I will have to try out some of these tips.

I didn't think I was the only one! :p

Great picture of the the shelter bunny. What kind of camera are you using?

Pet_Bunny wrote:
My secret is to shoot at the largest aperture opening that your camera allows (eg. f 2.8) and I am able to turn down my flash power (eg. 1/8 of the flash) and still beable to get a bright picture. What I'm actually doing is shooting with available light and using the flash to fill in light.Their eyes are natural with no adjustments. When it comes to Photoshop, I have no idea how to use it. :p
:?easy for you to say, Stan, our RO resident buntographer! I don't know what an aperture is... But that little cutie is sweet looking. Hope she goes to a good home.

luvthempigs wrote:
Great picture of the the shelter bunny. What kind of camera are you using?

Thanks Maria. It's the same camera as Mikes, a Nikon D300.

2r7tudd.jpg

Nikon D300,14-24 zoom, ISO200,manual setting,1/250 of a second, F3.5,SB800 flash.

This bunny was turned in yesterday by animal services as it was found in the park.
She will be available for adoption on Sunday.

No Red Eye at all. :)

kirbyultra wrote:
easy for you to say, Stan, our RO resident buntographer! I don't know what an aperture is...

Anaperture is the diameter of the lens opening. (The hole in the lens that lets light in).
Aperture is expressed as F-stop, (e.g. F2.8 or f/2.8). The smaller the F-stop number, the larger the lens opening (aperture).

s5yef6.jpg

Nikon D300,14-24 zoom, ISO200,manual setting,1/80 of a second, F2.8,SB800 flash.

This is Grape. He was at the shelter since June 5.

NorthernAutumn wrote:
Do you have a comparison to the human eyeball? I'm thinking it's similar to the black part of our eye... maybe not?
Exactly the same. The "black" part of both our eye and a rabbit's eye is just an adjustable-size hole - the iris - behind the lens, which allows light into the eyeball. (By the way, that's also exactly the same as the "aperture" in the camera lens)

The light passes through the inside of the eyeball and falls on the retina (the back part of the ball). Some of the cells back there are reflective, so if the angles work out right, a very bright light may bounce right back out the iris and through the lens and... redeye! (or green, or some other color, depending on the animal - the reflection in humans and bunnies are red).

The angle of the light is the key - to get redeye you need light to go from the flash to the retina and be reflected back into the camera lens. If the light enters the eyeball at an angle, any light which reflects out won't come back into the camera lens. That's why an off-camera flash, like Stan used for the shelter pictures, gets less red-eye, when an on-camera flash near the lens would . The angle from the off-camera flash to the eye is different from the angle from the eye to the lens, so you get less reflection (look at the shadow of the white shelter bunny's chin on her chest - you can see that the light is coming from above her head, not directly at her).

The angle is why there's no redeye in the picture of the shelter bunny with her nose right at the camera - her eyes are pointing sideways, so no light can bounce back into the camera. Luvthempigs bunnies in the examples are looking right at the camera, so the flash bounces right back again and you see redeye. That also explains why sometimes two pictures taken of the same rabbit at nearly the same time may show redeye or not - if the rabbit looks away, so that there's no direct path for the flash through the iris and back out again, you don't get redeye.

Some cameras have a "redeye reduction" mode, which is designed to minimize human redeye, but I'm not sure it would work very well with rabbits. That mode fires the flash a few times before it takes the picture, so that the iris closes down before the actual flash fires. The idea is that by reducing the size of the opening, it's less likely there will be a path for the reflection. Rabbits' eyes do not have the same degree of "adjustability" that ours do. Besides that, the repetitive pre-flash might bother them, and you can't get a good picture when the rabbit's run away.

MikeScone wrote:
That's why an off-camera flash, like Stan used for the shelter pictures, gets less red-eye, when an on-camera flash near the lens would . The angle from the off-camera flash to the eye is different from the angle from the eye to the lens, so you get less reflection (look at the shadow of the white shelter bunny's chin on her chest - you can see that the light is coming from above her head, not directly at her).

Mike doesn't miss a thing, about the light and shadows. That's why direct flash can be so harsh.
Here is a picture taken on Aug. 1 where I used a diffuser on my flash to soften and spread out the light more evenly.This would be similar to bounced lighting.

15nqb2h.jpg

Nikon D300,24-70 zoom, ISO200,manual setting,1/250 of a second, F2.8,Gary Fong Diffuser on flash.

I have a feeling Mike and Stan would get along well, lol!! Mike is a fantastic photographer and I have so many awesome pictures that he has taken of Sparky and Scooter.

I could learn alot from Mike. Most of my pictures are from trial and error. So everyone should just get out and shoot.

Here is a picture with the diffused flash held lower (almost level) with the camera lens.Thismakes the shadows less visible and behind the subject.
This 2 year oldfemale Lion Head called Baby, was adopted from the shelter on Monday. :bunnydance:

zl7k0w.jpg

Nikon D300,24-70 zoom, ISO200,manual setting,1/250 of a second, F2.8,Gary Fong Diffuser on flash.

Thewhite speck of lighton allthe bunnieseyes is caused bythe flash reflecting off the cornea of their eyes, but not from inside the retina.

Wow! Thank you very much for the explanation Mike! I remember being pretty interested in photography when I was younger, but stopped due to lack of instruction & poor equipment.

Reading the posts from Mike and Stan make me want to take up photography again :D

Back