Phinn isnt acting right

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phinnsmommy

Reaction score
HELP!

Just a few minutes ago, I noticed Phinn is acting lethargic, just kinda sitting in a corner of his cage. Usually this is his naptime, and he is sleeping.

Then I offered him some food, and he turned his nose up at it. I gave him his favorites, oats, greens, and even some baby food, but no, he doesnt want any.

He is shedding like a mad man, and some of his poops have been strung together with some hair.

I tried to give him some of his pineapple papaya oxbow shedding treats, and he turned his nose up at those too! He usually gobbles them up...

I checked his tummy, its really squishy, and seems like it doesnt have anything in it.

I also checked his front teeth, they are fine.

This came about so suddenly, in like the last hour.

He's in that position where he is kinda hunched, like he's going to poop?

And he kinda tilts to the side, like if during a DBF, you paused it halfway, he's keeps doing that.

Could it be the pinworms?

Could it also be the stress of the new bunny? It doesnt seem like he is stressed at all.. just not his normal self...

PLEASE HELP!

Worried Silvie

Aww, I really hope Phinn is okay! I was thinking maybe just the new bun, but all of mine have been snotty when I brought a new bun home, not sick-ish...

Maybe you could call a vet?

Yea, im going to if he doesnt get better soon.

Its just, my vet will want to do alllllllll these expensive tests, and yes they are ssoo worth it, and I know bunnies can go downhill very fast, but if this is just me being over reactive, then I dont want to waste a couple hundred dollars.

If it persists or worsens, I will defnietly be taking him to the vet...

Since this came on so quickly it sounds like gas to me. Do you have a stethiscope in your home or can you try to listen to his belly to see if you hear gurgling?

When Max had gas his stomach felt pretty normal most of the time but I could hear some noises when I gave him tummy rubs. Gently massage his underbelly and when you get near hisback leg/hip arealift a little bit which will help.

Do you have some simethicone (baby gas meds) on hand? I would start giving him some asap and see if that helps.

Did he eat this morning?

No, I dont have any simethicone.

Can I get it at a drugstore?

I massaged his belly, and didnt hear any gurgles. It was pretty sensitve, but its normally a little bit like that anyway, but maybe even more since then.

Its about 1:45 my time, and the last time I saw him eat something was 11.

Unless he's been eating pellets and hay in between that, he hasnt eaten since.

Usually he is SOO excited to get his pellets, and sits there eating them for 10 min, but today he just sat there and ignored them

I dont like this! :cry2

You can buy gas meds with simithecone in it at the drugstore. Oval is a pretty popular brand. Baby gas meds that come with an eye dropper are the easiest to give.

Give an eye dropper full every hour for a couple of hours.

Keep offering favourite veggies and fresh hay/pellets.

Also try to get him to drink as much as possible. Add a touch of juice to his water or use some pedialyte. Hydration will help any fur balls from getting hard in his tummy and causing a blockage. So if you have to, syringe some water to him with the gas meds.

--Dawn

Okay I gave hime about 2ish cc's of 100% apples juice (no added sweeteners) and water.

He didnt like it very much!

Most of it dribbled down his chin, but he would lick his lips, and I got a couple good gushes into him.

He keeps laying down, which he normally doesnt do unless he is sleeping, or just ran and binkied.

I will try to get some more fluids into him. My mom is going to go to the store and get simethicone. I have to go somewhere and wont be back until 5:15 ish, so I wont be able to give it to him then. Thats 3 hours from now.

I hope he's okay...

Oh and what causes gas? He didnt have anything unusual to eat....

Im so scared :(

EDIT to add, should I crush up some of his pellets, and put some water and baby food, like a slurry, and try and get it into him?

Phinn is looking better!

That tiny bit of liquid is making him feel ttoonnnsss better!

He is now running around, and eating, plus drumroll please... POOPING!!

All he will eat is baby food and oats, but its better than nothing.

Im not going to let him have too much, dont worry!

Oh and im still going to treat him with simethicone later tonight just incase.

Silvie

Phinn just ate about 3/4-1 cups of greens! Wohoo!!

I think the little guy was just playing a game of "Lets see how scared I can make Mommy"

Im just glad he's better!!

Sounds great!

It wouldnt hurt to give him a little simethicone tonight just in case. And its always a great thing to have on hand!

Yay!!!

Fluids can do wonders for a gassy, upset tummy bunny.

I would also give some gas meds just in case. Simethicone won't do any harm if he doesn't have gas, but it will help him pass it if he does.

--Dawn

Agreed - a dropper full won't hurt.

I don't know how I would survive without the simethicone! the gas really does come on out of nowhere. Misty gets gas if she eats off her schedule, if she eats anything new, if she finds something she SHOULD NOT be eating an eats that (she ate old veggies once she found on top her cage... that was a bad bout of gas...)... it can come on anytime - indigestion after they eat...

Same as humans I guess. SO Glad Phinn is ok!!

Glad to hear Phinn is still doing well!

Extra simethicone wont hurt, but if he's acting fine its probably not necessary.

I keep Nutri Cal on hand for GI stasis. It helps bunns stay hydrated, has vitamin E (good for tummy!) and other important nutrients to help a rabbit through stress (including molt). If he doesn't improve, I'd have the vet take a look at him. Also mention that you'd like to stay within a budget ;)

Pam

pamnock wrote:
I keep Nutri Cal on hand for GI stasis. It helps bunns stay hydrated, has vitamin E (good for tummy!) and other important nutrients to help a rabbit through stress (including molt).

Pam

I second that - Nutrical is a miracle worker.

When Charlie was lethargic and not eating (I swear I thought I would wake up and he'd be gone)... I gave him some nutrical for a boost and within a few minutes he pepped right up - it gave him the energy to eat and drink and he came through ok - I attribute it to the Nutrical.

Nadia

I got mine at Petsmart - in the cat section. It's the one for cats.

Latest posts

Back