petsmart + kittens = rabies????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandy563

Reaction score
I was watching the colbert report last night and he had said that at a petsmart (not sure where) this lady had gotten a kitten and then ended up bringing it back because it was "lurching and ____" (can't remember the other thing) they found out that it had rabies. I think the other kittens also had rabies (not sure) but i mean for a company as big as petsmart to not realize that kittens have rabies and then to sell them..............that's just a little crazy. Now i'm not sure of the whole story or anything but i was just a bit shocked by that, has anyone else heard of this or have the full story????

:shock: That's scary! I didn't even know Petsmart sold kittens! Mine fosters adult cats from the humane society, and I've never seen a cat there under 9 months. I think it's meant to get the older cats' adoption rate up.

I have seen someone bring a litter of barn cats into smaller petstores. They were just chucked in the kitten cage with the others, no vet checks, nothing. And they had runny eyes.:( Who knows how many diseases they were carrying! I was still a kid then, and my mom was so horrified that she dragged me out of there immediately and we never went back.

I believe that Petsmarts do not sell kittens but adopt them out from the shelters. At least, that's what the one here does.

Lissa wrote:
I believe that Petsmarts do not sell kittens but adopt them out from the shelters. At least, that's what the one here does.
I've been to petsmart many times they don't sell them they adopt them from animal shelters and such. Shelters do find them so its not that surprising for a kitten to have rabies. It's just weird that they did not test the kitten or such.

oh, sorry, wasn't sure if they were sold or adopted.

"The kitten bit sharpley on her hand when she tried to handle it." that's not good

i know they were tryin to do good but they should have been more cautious, but i guess they didn't expect that to happen.

I was wondering what the full story was, thanks for finding it

According to the CDC (Center for Disease Control), this is how they test for animals for rabies, and that is after they are dead.
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]"Rabies diagnosis in animals[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
The direct fluorescent antibody test (dFA) is the test most frequently used to diagnose rabies. This test requires brain tissue from animals suspected of being rabid. The test can only be performed post-mortem (after the animal is dead).
[/font][/font][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]All rabies laboratories in the United States perform this test (post-mortem) on animals suspected of having rabies.[/font][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]"[/font]

Latest posts

Back