Pets At Home - Very Skinny Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumyKingsley

Reaction score
Hello there! We don't currently have any bunnies of our own, but are desperately looking for any advice as we are very very worried.

Whilst buying guinea pig food today, my partner and I spotted a very, very skinny rabbit in the 'adoption' section of Pets At Home, listed as adoption as the poor thing had been in the shop too long.
Is there any advice for what we can do to help the bunny? We are worried the bunny may have a terminal or infectious disease, as so many online horror stories describe.

Thank you.

I would suggest talking to the store manager about your concerns. I would also mention to them that you plan on contacting corporate headquarters with your concerns about the rabbit. What this will do is if the manager doesn't feel inclined to act on your concerns, then the fact that you are contacting the main office will give an added incentive for the manager to take immediate action.

The other option is contacting the RSPCA.

I would suggest talking to the store manager about your concerns. I would also mention to them that you plan on contacting corporate headquarters with your concerns about the rabbit. What this will do is if the manager doesn't feel inclined to act on your concerns, then the fact that you are contacting the main office will give an added incentive for the manager to take immediate action.

Thank you very much for your advice, we will give speaking to the manager a go and try contacting the RSPCA or other nearby rescues if there's no reasurring immediate response from the shop manager.

Hello again, as an update we spoke to a member of staff today who told us that the rabbit was not underweight as he is just "streamlined" due to being a Dutch and English cross. We do not know much about rabbit breeds so we have attached what pictures of the rabbit we could get (sorry they are not the best). Can anyone confirm or falsify this?

Rabbit 1.JPG Rabbit 2.JPG

That rabbit looks thin to me. You shouldn't be seeing protruding bones along the back end like that. It should all be filled in and fleshy. Even 'streamlined' rabbits don't look bony like that, just sleek. Best way to know would be to feel the rabbit along the back. If it doesn't feel rounded but the spine and hip bones feel sharp and protruding, then the rabbit is definitely to thin.

That rabbit looks thin to me. You shouldn't be seeing protruding bones along the back end like that. It should all be filled in and fleshy. Even 'streamlined' rabbits don't look bony like that, just sleek. Best way to know would be to feel the rabbit along the back. If it doesn't feel rounded but the spine and hip bones feel sharp and protruding, then the rabbit is definitely to thin.

Yeah that is what we thought, it is so tricky with not being able to go in and feel the rabbit...we'll have to go in to check sometime soon and see if the bunny is still there and how it's looking.

Latest posts

Back