Petromalt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mynameisjeff

Reaction score
Our bunnies *love* Petromalt (forhairballs). Next to bananas it's the treat they will mostkill for. My question: is it safe to feed thebunnies Petromalt on a somewhat steady basis? We give ourguys about a quarter to half inch every other day, sometimes everydayif they are shedding. Anyone else do this?

Jeff

I wouldn't overdoit. From oneveterinary website: "Use these productsunder the direction of a veterinarian since frequent or long term usecould result in vitamin deficiencies. Do NOT force feed since thepetrolatum could be aspirated into the lungs and cause serious effects.Overdose can result in diarrhea."

It's unlikely that the small amount you are givingany other day is going to cause problems. The effectivenessof petroleum based hairball preventitives is debated, as there is noevidence that the supplement actually prevents blockages or that it hasany effect in moving a blockage.

Pam

Pam -

This is very helpful - thank you! I had to cuckle whenreading the caution about force feeding. You should see theway our bunnies go bonkers for the stuff. They could beresting all nice & quiet and we'll wave the open tube in frontof their faces, and their eyes will get huge & they'll startstumbling over anything that stands between them and theirpetromalt. Sometimes we'll put just a little bit on theoutside of the cage, just to watch them lick it off, because it's socute to watch their little tongues. :) Thus, thethought of having to force feed the stuff seems pretty absurd when itcomes to these bunnies. Guess we'll use it in moremoderation, perhaps more during shedding (within reason).

thanks again!

Jeff

mynameisjeff wrote:
Pam -

Guess we'll use it in more moderation, perhaps more during shedding (within reason).

thanks again!

Jeff

Sounds like a good plan! :)

Pam

Latest posts

Back