Petromalt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystalballl

Reaction score
Hey!!

I was in my local pet store the other day just looking around. And I came across Petromalt in the Rabbit section. It says right on it, for Rabbits.

Wondering if it's a good thing to have, does anyone use it?! And so on...

Thanks a bunch

Crystal

Ive heard of alot of people having/using it.

Its for hairballs, which is probobly handy to have it around. I would get it and put it with the first aid kit, better safe than sorry :)

I bought some about a year ago but never used it. I started a thread on it and was directed to another thread. Here's what Pam said about it:

Some experts recommend against using the petroleum based products on rabbits because it may bind to the blockage in GI stasis. I prefer to use Nutri Cal.

Pam

Just like Pam, I prefer to have Nutri Cal on hand. Recently I've also used Oxbow Critical Care on both Amber and Devon.

Matt

Yeah - I've seen it too and never gotten it. In my head coating the blockage in petroleum seems worse since it will prevent it from absorbing any kind of liquid that might help it get mushy or smaller? I don't know what the science is behind it - if making the mass slippery is better that making it moist...

In my head it seemed counter-productive.

Okie dokie! Thanks guys!

I do have critical care. Bought that when Holly got spayed. I'll pass on the petromalt. Just thought I'd ask :)

Thanks again

Don't forget to put some nutrical in the medicine chest.

It has helped me more than once when a rabbit stops eating/

Roger

It is carried at most pet stores. It says for use with cats and dogs but

is safe for bunnies. If I have a rabbit that stops eating it is one of the

things that I use to get some calories in them.

Just put a 1/2" ribbon of it on their front paw and they will lick it off.

Or you can syringe it.

RAL Rabbitry wrote:
Don't forget to put some nutrical in the medicine chest.
I keep mine in the frig.

When I feed Pebbles with it, I put it over some oats, and make a little bite size ball with it, so it doesn't get sticky.

Rainbows! :)

Latest posts

Back