Petco - another rant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Krissa wrote:
They no longer sell rabbits or large parrots because the company felt that people should not buy these animals on a whim (I read the official policy).
I hate to sound like I'm attacking you because I'm not but I have a slight problem with this statement because I have owned 5 guinea pigs in my life (all from the humane society), two mice (adopted from a petstore), and two gerbils (also adopted from the petstore) and I do not feel that they should be bought on a whim either. Maybe you didn't mean to word your sentence that way but I don't think any living creature should be allowed to be bought on a whim.

Now, Katrina did come from a petstore and has been the first animal in my home to come from one. She has been checked by a vet and fully checks out with perfect health. The only reason she was not bought from the humane society is that all of the rabbits in our humane society lately has been older (I have checked) and I wanted a baby for once (all the other animals I've gotten were at least 2-3 years old when I got them). I wanted to show her from the beginning a good life and have that experience for once. The petstore I got her from is not the greatest. I don't think any petstore is and I would never suggest that people get an animal from a petstore. However, Katrina was a surprise gift from my ex and I did not know much about rabbits because I had not started to research them at the time (I knew that I wanted a rabbit and not another guinea pig for a nice change and than he showed up with one).

I will add about petsmart though. I was in there one day and did see a worker give this kid tons of information about turtles and told him to take it home and read it before she would let him buy it which is great. However, the kid was maybe 10 tops and I have aproblem with any store that is okay selling a pet (lot alone a pet that lives for so long) to a 10 year old. Sorry if I sound rude. I had a pet at 10 but it was given to us by a family friend. My parents would have never okayed buying one.

That's the end of my rant.

Re. spaying/neutering baby rabbits, from what I've been reading on Etherbun and sources recommended by regulars there, it certainly seems like this could have horrible consequences for the rabbits.

From MediRabbit's page on spaying:

At a younger age [younger than 5 months], the surgery is complicated by the difficulty of lating the very thin uterus and the very small ovaries. A spay at an immature age may also have a dramatic effect on the proper calcium absorption by the bones.

It's a chance I would never want to take with such a small, young creature; ditto for an underage neuter.

Katrina wrote:

I hate to sound like I'm attacking you because I'm not but I have a slight problem with this statement because I have owned 5 guinea pigs in my life (all from the humane society), two mice (adopted from a petstore), and two gerbils (also adopted from the petstore) and I do not feel that they should be bought on a whim either. Maybe you didn't mean to word your sentence that way but I don't think any living creature should be allowed to be bought on a whim.

I will add about petsmart though. I was in there one day and did see a worker give this kid tons of information about turtles and told him to take it home and read it before she would let him buy it which is great. However, the kid was maybe 10 tops and I have aproblem with any store that is okay selling a pet (lot alone a pet that lives for so long) to a 10 year old. Sorry if I sound rude. I had a pet at 10 but it was given to us by a family friend. My parents would have never okayed buying one.

Yes, no animal should be purchased on a whim, I was just glad that they were at least thinking about it with some animals.

And the 10 year old is not allowed to get the turtle without his parents. To purchase an animal at PetSmart a contract must be signed by someone 18+ years old to go through the checkout. The child would have to have his parents permission.

Our petsmart is ok. They did have a bird that looked like it had a problem last time I went. If I knew what I know now I would have asked if they are doing anything for it.

There is this one petstore in town that sells exotic pets mostly and also sells rabbits. The buns are kept in the very back in a thing that is about 6x4 ft and when I got a pet from there they asked me several questions about how we were going to keep her and other stuff. We know the owners and they seem really concerned about their animals. I have never seen anything in their store be sick or hurt except for one tortoise that I got from a breeder though them and I think the breeder just gave me the short end of the stick. It died, but I do still have my first tortoise and they ask me about her every time I come in, and I have had her for almost 8 years.

Now, we have another pet store in town. I got Skyler from there because I couldn't stand to see her in such conditions. She was kept in a thing probably not much bigger than one cube of my NIC cage with several other rabbits. It was a glass cage and it was also right beside the ferrets cage. Unfortunatly they are the petstore closest to my house so I had to go there to pick something up because I needed it badly for one of my pets and couldn't go anywhere else. Luckily I saw Sky and was able to get her from that.

And the 10 year old is not allowed to get the turtle without his parents. To purchase an animal at PetSmart a contract must be signed by someone 18+ years old to go through the checkout. The child would have to have his parents permission.

At our petsmart they don't check ID's. Two years ago when I was 16, I was able to purchase mice as pets, and I definitely did not look 18 years old.

I'm sure someone looking 10 years old can't though, but you never know with stores. I know that at my Petco it would probably be allowed because my Petco is just plain uncaring.

- Amy

Alright, I worked at Petsmart for four days. I was a cashier. I went through 45 minutes of training to be a cashier & They didn't ONCE tell me there was an age limit for selling animals. NOT ONCE. Until I got fired for selling a goldfish to a 17 year old :[ I hate petstores, I only shop in feedstores that don't sell animals. Period.

I hate petcetera because they are crule to the animals and netorious for sexing wrong. However petsmat is a total diffrent story. love them becaus they take the overflow from the shelter where I work and they pay for everything while they are there. Yes they sell fish, birds, and little things like hams, mice, rats, gerbils, ect but the rabbits, piggies, and cats are from rescues. Also each rabbit cage has a huge hay rack that is emptied daily and has fresh quality hay added. They also feed them fresh vedgies. Another awsome one is superpet.

and I'm going to cry now. So sad. I wish I could own them all and make sure they are all okay.

The Petco here in La Crosse Wi. is a good one. Because they are taking our shelter rabbits we are getting a lot more adopted. They also gave us a grant so they pay for our rabbits to be spayed and neutered before adoption. They provide food and hay and I go over there to give the rabbits greens. The habitat always looks good and if there is some complaint I might have they always take care of it. If it wasn't for the petco grant I would have quit the shelter a long time ago. When I started at the humane society it was common for rabbits to be euthanized...now it is way way less. The staff at petco often take the rabbits up to the checkout counter to give them exposure and attention. I think that the petco here is so good because the manager is very kind and really loves animals.

When I lived in the Chicagoland area I have been in Petco's that were hellholes..so I think it is different everywhere. I amlucky and so are the shelter rabbits that we have the Petco here.

I hear ya, I bought my bunny frompetland....after vowing never to buy any animals from there afterworking there for 2months I wouldnt even knwo where to beginwith telling you guys the things that happen there and how they dontcare at all about the animals welfare....its disgusting... but I justfell in love with this bunny I had to take him he was so calm andrelaxed very friendly....I went there again today to look at thebunnys.....they have what looks like a french lop which they call aholland and the girl who works there dropped her on the ground scaredthe crap out of me....im thinking of going back and gettingit... I should know better then to go the that stupid store ifeel so bad for the buns. They have about 15-20 there rightnow some really small to older adults..

The more i think about it the more I think im going to go and rehomeone lol hmmm...ill let you guys knwo what I come back with lol

I was at Petland yesterday and I had someserious issues with it. First off there was a possibably pergnantbunny. She used to be in a smallish cage, now she is in a bigger onewith a towel covering half. There is also a sign of the cage saying notto touch. She is the FIRST thing in the store. If they want her to beleft alone, put her somewhere else where she can have some quiet. Alsothere was a degu in a hamster cage. I wanted to take him home. He waschewing the bars and one of them was loose, the wheel had fallen over.The other bunnies seemed ok, they had a small hand full of hay but onewas in with a guinea pig. I don't buy anything at Petland anymore, Ijust go in to look at the animals when I have nothing better to do.

Latest posts

Back