Petco - another rant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snuggys Mom

Reaction score
I went in Petco recently and they had a rabbitin a rodent cage! I could not believe myeyes.The cage was about four times the size of thebunny, and I know that technically, they think that's acceptable, butit broke my heart to see him in there.

It was late at night and there was no manager around.

I sent an e-mail to Petco.com

When I returned the next day, he had been moved to the large rabbit enclosure.

In my opinion, rabbits should not be sold in pet stores - period. They are rarely cared for properly.

I believe pet store rabbits are frequentlybought on impulseand this leads to a lot of them being dumped at shelters or "setfree".

:mad:

:yeahthat

Our evil petstore is Petcetera.

Makes me want to do this:
64.gif

To whoever put them there!

as much as i hate the petstores (and i do) iworked for a petsmart up in the area for about 2 days and the trainingthat the staff had to take in the proper care for the animals wasrather indepth and not all of it was that far off from the truth. ..maybe it is just my petsmart (they also don't sell rabbits, ferrets,ect. only smaller rodents). . . but i was extremly angry the yesterdaywhen i stopped in for some hay and say a girl buy a cavy and a 10 GALL.aqu. to house the poor thing in. . .we were walking out of the storetogether and i got into small talk about the pig, and mentioned thatshe check out these really cool cages call NIC cages. . .gave her awebsite and she seem rather interested to look. . . but still how hardis it to realize that something as big a a piggy is going to need abigger space?

there that is my rant. . .just to add to yours!

I'm with you there Laura, I hate pet shops thatsell animals. It is just way to easy for people to buy rabbits thinkingthey are 'easy pets' then after a few weeks they get dumped in arescueof forgotten about in a tinyhutch/cage.:tantrum:Our large chain pet shop over here 'petsat home' are also notorious for sexing rabbits wrong which means a lotof rescues get dumped with loads of rabbits because 'they just keptbreeding'.:rollseyes

At petland, they have older animals that areharder to sell so they make it 'free with purchase of started kit'.Their bunnies are generally over $50. They also sell puppies andkittens and they do rescue. The company seems confused about that:dunno:

People also bring in unwanted bunnies and guinea pigs to be 'adopted'in to loving homes. All they care about is profit. I just go to look atthe animals and rarely buy anything

On a side note about petland, my friend got a puppy there a few yearsago and she ended up being very sick later in life and had to be putdown. :(. So Dont buy from pet stores go to a reputrable breeder. it isgenerally cheaper and of better quality.

That is my rant aganist Petland

I have noticed when I see bunnies at petstores there is usually no hay in their enclosure.

Why is that?

The worst one here is PJ's Pets, my vet told mesome horror stories about them. My friend had also tried to sell Mochaand Spice's litters to them and they refused to take them any olderthan 4 weeks and prefer to take them at 3 weeks! They then lie aboutthe age and to someone who know rabbits, it's obvious that the rabbitsare FAR too young.

I...HATE...PET STORES!

All the store cares about is a profit. They couldn't care less where the animals end up at. Just money, money, money.

I've never seen a rabbit at a pet store that has been kept in even halfdecent conditions. They are usually kept with guinea pigs, in impropercages, and wrong food/no hay! Some bad ones I've been to are PetLandand Petcetera. Ugh!

No animal should be sold in pet stores.Usually it's backyard/breeding mills who supply the animals, andthat's a majorcontributor to the pet over population.

Here, we have a pet store by the name of PetEmporium. I went in there once, and came out angry and close to crying.They had 12+ bunnies that couldn't have been older than three or fourweeks old in a 3 by 3 foot aquarium type cage. with 1/2 inch of ratherdirty pine shavings in it. and a small, half-full bowl of powder thatused to be an obviously low quality pellet. It broke myheart. :cry2

It really should be illegal for pet stores to sell animals. :mad:

There's been some awful petstores here,especially the mom and pop stores. One had a dutch rabbit ina 10 gallon aquarium! It has since closed. Irecently heard that the other hellhole in town is closing too, and Ireally hope it's true. There's been petitions and stuff goingaround town and I have no idea how they've stayed open for solong. I never see anybody over there. They sell allsorts of animals including kittens and puppies, the cages are alwaysmessy, little-to-no water, everything on the shelves is covered withdust. And you can smell animal poop as soon as you open thedoor.

:vomit:

I don't think any store should sell rabbits because so many peopledon't know what they're getting into. Then they end up at theshelter. I always check to make sure they have hay and waterand are decently clean. Now if only I could get Pet SupplyOutlet to stop feeding their rabbits junk food, especially because I'vebeen told by one of the workers that it gives some of the new babiesdiarrhea.:(

Most pet stores want the bunnies no older than 4weeks.that way i guess they can say they are a dwarf breed and telleveryone they are really 8 weeks old.8 weeks is the legal sale age inPa.bluebird

well, we have petstore here BIORESEARCH and havemany branches... my two bunnies came from there and I am just glad theywere out from there.

Nothing really bad about it, but I just hate by the way they insistthat the Netherland Dwarf they sell is purebred when obviously it is amix... Maybe dwarf size but the features are so unlikely... and thesaleswoman said that it is 2 months, well, obviously it is an adultalready! That's what the other salesman from that same store told me...

tsk tsk tsk tsk..

about the 'no hay' in their cages here.. well, it is really hard tofind hay in my country... so hard.. :( until now, I haven't fed themhay.. you may call me evil, but as my hard as my best would go, it'sreally almost impossible to find grasshay.. I am now planning of justgrowing grass in a pot.. what do you think? hehehhe

Not all pet stores are 100% evil,

A petco in the area takes in shelter rabbits and sells them on behalf of the shelter/humane society. They get no money from the adoption fee (you pay the shelter directly) and petco evenprovides for the food/litter/hay. My girlfriend just bought an adorable 6 month old from them.A foster caregiver is the liason and brings in new shelter bunnies when ones there are adopted. I think the exposure in a pet store gets a lot more bunnies adopted, and the shelter does thorough investigations to make sure the rabbit is going into a good home. Its a kill shelter too so every bunny that can be moved out is a bunny saved.

The cage that the rabbits were sold in wasnt all that small, and he had some hay, clean bedding and plenty of food. The staff there seemed to care about the bunnies too.

Yes, those kinds of arrangements are great. Although I have issues with Petco because the stores that don't have shelter rabbits buy baby rabbits from Marshalls, a national mill breeder, and they are spayed/neutered at a ridiculously young age. So Petco can go from one extreme to another as far as rabbits are concerned, and I still wouldn't trust the advice of any of the employees.

We used to have issues with our local Petco, but now there are 2 and they work directly with the HRS and other rescues. They have LARGE places that are approved for the rabbits they keep there and details on it all just like HRS would do.

I have gone in and said something about not using wood bedding and they never had it again. They got carpet and litterboxes. That was in the very beginning before HRS got involved. That impressed me.

Still, I don't like animals in petstores. It's just so sad sometimes.

When I go into the Petco, I have them get the bunnies out for me to play with. I tell them, I just want them to have some excercise and handling LOL!

I haven't read this entire thread, butI do agree about pet stores selling animals. They shouldn't. There's too many in need of rescue at shelters.

I will say though, the Petco here is fabulous, even though they sell animals like the rest. The animals are kept in extremely large enclosures with piles of toys, plenty of floor space, and a good bit of interaction. Their reptiles at the store here live in amazing enclosures. They have an iguana enclosure with a built in waterfall. It's stunning. They do sell rabbits, but the rabbits are kept in large enclosures, complete with carefresh bedding, houses, litterboxes, fresh veggies and piles and piles of hay. So at the least, I can't complain about the care that their animals recieve in the local Petco here.

I will say that the Petsmarts we have here are horrible though, for several reasons.

I'm gonna throw in my defense of PetSmart here :shock:.

From August until November I was a Pet Care Manager at PetSmart, I did not quit because of pet issues, I quit because of hours.

Anyway, I like PetSmart's policy on animal care. AS LONG AS THE MANAGERS ARE FOLLOWING COMPANY POLICY I feel that PetSmart does care about the animals it sells. Now if you have a store that is ignoring the policy, then that is another matter.

All animals are checked by the Manager on duty at store opening, 1pm, 5pm and at close - this is verified by a sign off sheet.

All animals are entitled to vet care. Animals may only be put down by a vet. I once took a hamster to an overnight vet clinic because it became sick as the store closed - the hamster died, but the Store Manager did not care about my overtime, or the vet bill, the welbeing of the animal came first. We also sent two cockatiels to the vet because I thought they looked sick, spent over $500 on each bird and saved them from pnemonia - all because I had a hunch they may be ill.

If anyone was caught hurting or being lax in the care, they were fired. I got two of my employees fired because they were 1) not feeding properly and 2) one threw an animal.

We were allowed to refuse sale if the animal was going to be a feeder, or possibly hurt in any way by the customer.

The animals were provided with fresh fruits/veggies every day - it was mandatory! Even the fish were given fruit and veggies by species.

They no longer sell rabbits or large parrots because the company felt that people should not buy these animals on a whim (I read the official policy).

Stores a separated by sex, the 3 months I was manager we never had an accidental litter.

Permantly injured animals were not killed (unless vet said to) or sold. They were adopted out to employees or friends of employees. Many of our animals that were hurt or required medical attention for the rest of their lives were adopted by the employee who cared for the animal in the store when it was sick. We had a poor guinea pig who was thrown (see earlier part of post) and had a broken hip. Hip was reparied by vet and one of my girls took him home - he hobbles, but he is living the life! She adores him.

Thats all I can think about now. I feel very comfortable buying from PetSmart after working there. There will always be employees who donot know their pets, but an I feel I should never be relying on a teenage pet store employee to give me vital information on an animal I want. Before purchasing an animal I do at least 3 months of research on the animal to 1) make sure I want the animal and it is not just a phase at the moment and 2) to ensure I have the best facts possible.

Sorry I wrote a book there. When I see a bad pet store, I never shop there again. Petco makes me made most of the time.

Funny how I started reading this topic, because...

I went to Petsmart today and I saw a gorgeous black bunny in a cage in the section where the cats stay to be adopted out. You all probably know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, the bun was in a pretty small cage made for "rabbits" with a litter box, some pellets, a hanging kabob toy, and about a tiny handful of hay. I wish she had more hay though. I wanted to bring her home!

Then of course I had to look at the other small animals, and found a gerbil with lots of hair missing from his tail. The chinchillas were in one of those tiny aquariums. I don't think I've ever seen rabbits for sale at my petsmart. I will only shop there if it's necessary or I want to look for a toy or something.

Petco is a whole nother story for me. I HATE MY PETCO. The employees are probably only about 16 years old to 25 years old. They all look dirty and don't care for the animals at all. The rabbits are in those tiny circle aquariums and priced for $100 and neutered. CRAZY! When I bought my mice from Petco they asked if they were pets or feeders. I hate how they openly ask that question.

The mom and pop pet store around the corner from me has lop eared bunnies in about a 20 gallon aquarium. Just hay, pellets, and a water bottle....no toys or anything. The bunnies are huge. When I was there last time there was 3 of them in the 20 gal. It appears to me that they are on pine bedding too. It might be aspen?

It's sad, but it's a never ending vicious cycle with pet store animals.

I never read this post before. But I agree with jordiwes.<WBR> I can&#39;t stand PetCetera. Among most of the other chains around here. I went in a PetCetera one day with my grandparents and my grandfather called me over saying "LOOK LOOK" that&#39;s a friggin&#39; Jack Rabbit haha. Anyways it looked to me like a Flemy, and was stuck in this cage I wouldn&#39;t put my little Holland Lop in. I felt so bad for the poor guy, it disgusted me. I went over to the lady and asked for the manager, ofcourse there wasn&#39;t one in. I informed her that that so called "cage" was way too small for a rabbit that size, never mind a small one. She looked at me like I was an alien and said that&#39;s all the room they have for him. If I had the room, I would&#39;ve brought the poor guy home.

The petsmart around me doesn&#39;t sell Rabbits or anything of that nature. But a store I used to like until I got my Bunnies, is a Mom and Pop pet store. And they too have their rabbits in an aquarium. And their in shavings. Now I"m not sure if they are aspen, but they have a bowl of pellets (pellets that are cheap and terrible) and a bowl of water. And NO hay.

I really don&#39;t understand why pet stores don&#39;t know Rabbits need hay if they are going to carry them. Even if you Google the word Rabbit "Timothy Hay" comes up. It&#39;s pure stupidity.

I do agree though, that Rabbits shouldn&#39;t&#39; be in pet stores. Among most animals I see though. I think its really sad!! I always want to take them all home.

Thats My Rant :) Thanks for listening hehe

Crystal (Bandit & Holly)

Latest posts

Back