Pet Therapy Bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dajeti2

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here has a bunny orknows soneone who has a bunny that has become a certified pet therapyanimal? I've been looking into it. I am going to try and get Apollocertified. I have to wait for 5 months because he needs to be in mycare that long before he qualifies for the program. I'm looking for anyhints, tips, ideas anything, would be a big help.

Tina

Welcome Tina!

Look in the last pages of Beach Bunnies 2004. There is a new memberthat may come to the party, lives in New York City, and does just thissort of thing.

-Carolyn

Carolyn, thank you so much. I've begun workingwith Apollo and he doesn't cease to amaze me. It seems like it would bea shame to keep his loving personality all to myself. Thank you again.

Although, probably not recommended, we justarrived at my aunt's nursing home with our bun, Maxie, ensconced in aback back, I converted to a front pack. Everybody, oohed andahhed, including the staff, and next thing, Maxie was free and runningaround the lounge and/or sitting on various peoples' laps,soaking up the pets they were lavishing upon him.

I've seen one place advertised in a newspaper as providing "official"pet therapy certification, but frankly, I wonder if there is such an"official" certifying body, or someone has become clever enough toestablish a business(es) in order to cash in on the obvious interest inpets providing therapy to humans.

If you find out any relevant information regarding this topic, pleaseshare it with us, here, as, I for one, would also be extremelyinterested in sharing our bunnies "officially," if need be.

Buck

Greetings Tina,

If you wish to try it out, take your little one to a nursing home and see how he does.

A friend of mine does this with her Search & Rescue Dog and it'sgreat therapy for the dog and the patients. It's amazing how thepatients respond and look forward to the visits. They rarely get achance to see different animals. A bunny would be a real hoot!

-Carolyn

Anyone interested in getting certified as a pet therapy team can go to

http://deltasociety.org

There are 3 different areas. The first one is a written test. If youhave a trainig center in your area you can go there. If not you canstudy at home. Some of the things you want you bun or pet to becomfortable with are accepting a friendly stranger,acceptingpetting,walking with you bun in your arms or in a basket,walkingthrough a crowd,reaction to distractions. Then the actual testing.

There is a list you can work off of to work with your bunsat home. Some of the things are:exhuberant and clumsy petting,restraining hug,staggering,gesturing person,angry yelling,bumped frombehind, crowded& petted by several people,offered a treat.

The website is pretty easyto navigate. I've beenworking with Apollo andhe is doing surprisingly good. I hopethis helps all who are interested.

Buck, that is so cool. I've read a few posts that refer to your backpack? Sorry, I'm newhere. What exactly are they?

I would also like to take a moment to say everyone herehasbeen very sweet and supportive and informative. Thank you all.

Tina

Tina,

It's really no big thing. I've taken a relatively goodbackpack that also had a strap that fit across the chest. Iput the backpack on backwards, by that I mean I insert my arms throughthe shoulderstraps with the back facing forward, to the front.

I put the orginal chest strap around my back to support the "chestpack"in place, then buckle up the waist strap, with the buckle in the smallof my back, instead of vice versa. It takes longer to typethis than to do it, physically.

I've zippered open the pack half way, and folded over the openedsection into the inside of the the pack. Depending upon thesize of the rabbit I am carrying, I either insert, or remove, towel"packing" that alters the interior area of the pack to deepen it, ormake it shallower, as the case may be and is warranted.

The subsidiary little pockets and patches on the pack serve to carrygear, such as sun bonnets, winter hats,leashes, harnesses, lintrollers,etc. easily and securely. The half-opened top, onthis particular up-scale backpack, has an additional, secondary meshcover that can be used in lieu of the fabric cover, and if zipperedentirely closed would keep the rabbit(s) securely within, whilemaintaining full ventilation and breathing capacity.

Buns are usually carried with their head and shoulders visible, so thatthey may see what is going on, and they may be seen bypassersby. The reactions, both from buns and people are,indeed, priceless; as the buns act as supreme PR examples forkeeping rabbits as pets, in general. You would be surprisedto learn how many "closet" bunny people there are around, or how manypeople remember their buns of earlier days with so much fondness andnostalgia.

Do try it! Bunny carrying is a hoot! Just don'texpect to get very far without being accosted with tons of questionsand requests to pet the bunny. I have told the remaining,very few, single men in our acqaintance that bunnies are babe magnets,and a man could not help but to meet so many wonderful and lovingwomen, while at the same time, demonstratinghis own"sensitivity" to those self-same women. Most I've recommendedit to have shivered at the thought, in their "macho-ness,"but they really don't know what kind of opportunity they are missing.

In the mean time, I am having a ball with the bunnies. MrsBuck is invariably present, so she keeps me out of trouble.*chuckle*

Is there a fee that Delta Society charges for this pet therapytraining? If so, how much? Is this society anationally accredited organization in some manner? .orgwebsites implies that, does it not? Don't mean to beproblematical with all my questions, but I am sincerely interested andit seems like you're already involved, and would have the pertinentinformation.

TIA

Buck

Buck Jones wrote:
I have told the remaining, very few, single men in our acqaintance thatbunnies are babe magnets, and a man could not help to meet so manywonderful and loving women, while at the same time,demonstratinghis own "sensitvity" to those self-samewomen.
Buck

LOL! BOL! ROTFL!

Buck, you're a hoot!!! I'm laughing so hard that I can hardly reply!

Oh,mercy!!!

The Delta Society is a nationally acrreditedorganization. If you chose to study from home you can order all thematerials for $35. That includes the study manual, the test and avideo. I'm assuming the cost is the same if you so somewhere for theday and do it. I can check if you'd like. There are three parts to thetest. The wtitten and two interactive parts to see how well your rabbitinteracts with you and then how you both interact in differentsituations. I actually printed the interacting parts so I could workwith Apollo. So far Apollo is doing awesome. I take verywhere with me.We go to the park, my son's baseball games, petco and to visit friendsand family. He loves all the attention. The only thing he's notcomfortable with are big groups of kids. He had a little boy poke himin the eye. I feel so bad. They were all petting him and as I wasshowing a lille girl how to pet him the boy next to her poked him. Ifeel awful. But he's getting over it already.

Buck, that is too funny.lol The backpack is such a good idea. I alwayshave Apollo's harness on and I get pretty much the same reaction. Iusually set aside an extra hour if I take Apollo with me. I always hear'that's the biggest rabbit I've ever seen". It's pretty funny the lookon their faces when I tell them he's only four months old. The littlekids always say 'he looks like the Easter bunny". He's big, white andhas pink eyes.

Please don't worry about asking questions. Ask all the questions youwant and need to. I'm glad you are interested. If you'd feel morecomfortable you can also email me your questions. Which ever is easierfor you.

Thank you all for getting back to me so soon. You are really a wonderful group of people.

Tina

Tina-

The info. you provided on the Delta Society is very interesting. Thanks for your thorough research.

I read about rabbits as therapy animals in a book about Lop Rabbits bySandy Crook, who breeds them (and thinks they're the best.) My firstrabbit, a buck, didn't strike me as being a good candidate. My secondrabbit, a Netherlands Dwarf doe, was far too feisty, high-strung andunpredictable. For example, there were times when I would be holdingher in arms arms when suddenly, without any warning or any sudden noisein the environment, she would go flying out of my arms. Poor littledarling!

My present bunny, a Dutch doe named Tosca, is the most sweet-tempered,affectionate bunny imaginable. It also quickly became apparent that sheis a people bunny. I fell in love with her (and she with me) within onehour of meeting her at a rabbit show - and she was a raffle rabbit -but I made sure I won her. (That's a story for another time.) Withindays of bringing her home she fell wildly in love with my dad, who isin his nineties. She LOVES getting petted, massaged, and scratched onthe head and under the chin. She gives plenty of licks in return, andoccasional "love nips." When I observed her calm demeanor and goodnature with a couple of other senior citizens in my circle of familyand friends I realized she would make a great therapy bunny. Then, oneday, on a visit to our vet at The Animal Medical Center in NYC, Ipicked up a copy of their newsletter and there was an article abouttheir Per Oureach Program.

Well, friends, it's really late, so I'll continue another time - real soon.

Maria

Latest posts

Back