Pet store

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daisy052104

Reaction score
I just want to get some opinions about what todo. My husband and I went to one of the pet supply stores in our townwhere they sell rabbits. Right now there are 2 males that have beenthere for a while. We noticed today that the rabbits front nails werevisible past the fur. I plan on calling the store and ansking for amanager to complain. My main concern with doing that is I don't knowhow long is considered too long that it would be ok to complain about.Does having nails too long cause any health risks??

I'm ashamed to say, Pepsi's nails are VERYlong... I haven't cut them for awhile and they've grown past the fur,and some on the back of her feet are curving outwards. I feel terriblebut I'm so scared to cut her nails because she goes into this noteating for a couple days due to the stress, so I keep the cutting to aminimum. They are black so I'm always scared to cut the quick.

I don't think it causes any health risks, but they are more sensitiveto being broken off. I wouldn't say you'd have to complain, maybe jsutremind that the nails need to be clipped?

Both of mine have long nails too. Im just a bitscared to trim them as they have just gotten used to being held. I amletting them onto conrete to allow the nails to be trimmed. I am tryingto find a vet quickly to get them trimmed.

Any other suggestions as to how to trim their nail? Remember I have only beem picking them up properly for about 3 days . :D

The first time Holly got her nails clipped itwas at the vet. She taught me what to do. Now my hubby holds her and Iget to trim. He's much better at being able to restrain her without herstressing out too much. When it's over she gets a few craisins.

It depends on the length of the fur, doesn'tit? Rex have such short fur that nails past the fur doesn'tmean they're too long. I think they're much too long if theystart curving a lot. Nails that long can push the toes up andmake it uncomfortable to hop, plus they're more likely tobreak. And in bad cases, some nails will grow in a circle andback into the foot- dewclaws are the worst for this.

I can understand not wanting to cut Pepsi's nails often because shereacts so badly to stress. But a pet store should be able todemonstrate proper hygiene and grooming, theoretically at least.

Sheridan, check out this Bunny 101 thread for nail clipping instructions:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12075&forum_id=17

Uncut nails can lead to improper weightdistribution which can result in sore hocks. Long nails canalso get caught and ripped out, or result in a broken toe.

Pam

I have had a look and at the momentthe nails seem to be straight. I have tried looking closely but cantsee the vein so I think the best option for me would be to let themplay on the concrete and find a vet who can do it and teach me properly.

I dont want to end up cutting too much off and causing any pain.

Latest posts

Back