Pet store issue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I have learned there are many different types of reconized breeds (purebreds). So, your rabbit is either a purebred or a mix of some kind. Some purebred rabbits are bred from several original purebred rabbits to make a certain type, such as the holland lop. This is just like dogs.

feedtheflame wrote:
so im new to this and confused...would u consider every rabbit to be a 'breed'? or are there just 'regular' mixes too?
If by regullar mixes you mean like labradoodle, no. But of course all breeds were developed from wild European rabbits or, later, from already-existing breeds.

wendymac wrote:
I agree, it looks like a Holland Lop to me. :)

Karen, the reason they say that hybrids live longer, and are healthier, is due to genetic defects. When you get a mix, the chances are smaller of avoiding common problems in purebreds (like hip displasia, blindess, etc., that runs in certain breeds).
I have to respectfully disagree, because my Rabbit Savvy Vet did check my mixes for problems with their jaw and teeth that could come up at 4 months. Dwarf rabbits do tend to have problems with their jaws and teeth because of their small statute.

Also problems with ear infections with lop eared bunnies, purebreds and mixes.

A genetic defect can be passed to mixes. Bunnies are not like dogs. A genetic imperfection in a bunny can pop up at time early in life.

A long, healthy life for a bunny, purebred or mutt depends on you.

K:)

Calli g something a pure breed or mix to me means nothing when it comes to rabbits or dogs. Everything is a mix IMO. That's how they all get created right? In dogs, to me a pure breed means more health problems.

My jack russel had bad allergies.
My Australian Shepard has bad knees and hips.
My 200 year old mystery MUTT is super healthy, super energetic and I think he will live another 200 years to be honest. We don't even know what he might be a mix of. He doesn't look anything like any pure breed I've ever seen.

nobunnynoclue wrote:
Calli g something a pure breed or mix to me means nothing when it comes to rabbits or dogs. Everything is a mix IMO. That's how they all get created right? In dogs, to me a pure breed means more health problems.

My jack russel had bad allergies.
My Australian Shepard has bad knees and hips.
My 200 year old mystery MUTT is super healthy, super energetic and I think he will live another 200 years to be honest. We don't even know what he might be a mix of. He doesn't look anything like any pure breed I've ever seen.
200 year old? That's a record.

K:)

BTW, can't compare canine to rabbits. Just not plausible. Or logical.

nobunnynoclue wrote:
In dogs, to me a pure breed means more health problems. .
In any species that has breeds,or even wild animals that have pockets of separate breeding groups, expanding the gene pool has advantages & disadvantages. Even in the plant world sometimes getting a pure strain is best, but then there's hybrid vigor. The thing is that the gene fragments that form the offsprings' DNA from the parents' DNA may contain both good & bad traits & it's virtually impossible to get one without the other if they're next to each other in the DNA.

Latest posts

Back