Pet store issue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle Savage

Reaction score
The pet store was supposed to get a hold of the breeder for me and has not! I just wanted to know her bithday, breed and such. Why is it so hard for them to take 5 min. out of their day to help me? I love Sweetheart so much and want to know all about her. The store told me they would do it and have not. The breeder took her to the store over 2 weeks ago and by now he probably forgot her birthday. I hate that they did not know her breed. I have spent around $300 at this store and they are being selfish, ugh! I am so perplexed! Anyone have an idea of a good conclusion? I do not want to get kicked out of the store or annoy them so much they just ignore me, but I want answers! :grumpy::nerves1:nope::sigh::pullhair:

My life would be complete if I knew this info., I know others may think that is crazy or whatever but I am serious about this. Knowing your rabbit's history can help you take better care of them and when you love something so much you have to know these things about them.

Maybe the breeder is an illegal backyard breeder and that's why they won't give you the information. Luckily somebody like you got Sweetheart instead of somebody who doesn't love that rabbit as much as you!

Contacting the breeder could bring up all sorts of legal issues with them. Is it a privately owned pet store or is it a chain type deal (like Petco?). Either way, it seems that these stores don't really care about the rabbit, just about money. I'm sorry they won't contact them for you!

You are truly right about knowing your bunny's history. But sometimes that just isn't in the cards. Is there any way that you can ask the pet store manager to give you the name of the breeder to contact? If he can't then can you find out how old Sweetheart was when the pet store obtained her from the breeder. At least you can count back and get a approximate birth date.

With Willard our rescue, we have had to guess a lot. But he's doing really well with us not know everything about him.

If you are worried about Vet visits, I think most Vets go with weight and age of the bunny.And Rabbit Savvy Vets are pretty good at figuring out approximate age.

Some times people don't think stuff like breed, birth dates, etc of animalsare important to new owners. But they are to some. It does help knowing their background. But sometimes you just can't get the info and you have to guess.

K:)

Yeah, the lady in charge, I don't know if she is the owner or not, but she told me she would call the breeder and has not got a hold of me. I went in there yesterday to get the info. and she was (I was basically told) too busy to call them that day. I did not know about the back yard breeder thing. I honestly don't care so much of that I just don't want her to be, for lack of a better word, an insest rabbit, that would be my only concern of the breeder. Also, for charging me around $50 for her, you would think I would have got a least the breed type! I do not dilike her at all, it is the pet store ("Pet World" to be exact ) that I am upset with. Lazy, inmature pet store employees. Should I bother them or not? If I never know then that is awful, but I will live with it. I will just be content if she lives to be very old... but as for now I am upset and irritated with the lack of management at this store and still want answers.

I'm not aware of any illegal backyard breeder laws. You really don't need to have a license to breed or sell to a pet store. Sounds like the info is stopping at the pet store. Shame, because the people at the pet store I go to LOVE to discuss their bunnies, guniea pigs, ferrets, etc. And will give all sorts of info to the new buyer, or even someone just asking. Like me. lol

I wouldn't bother them any more. They got your money and that's all they care about it seems. It's awful you can't get the info, but Sweetheart can live a long life. She's now with you!

Unfortunately, an oral promise often is worth no more than the paper it isn't written on. Potential customers have more power than former customers do. Especially if this is a chain store, look for a web site & complain, but know probably nothing will be done.

Usually the rabbits who are bred with close relatives are the ones that are considered special, because the breeding was done to increase the chance of desirable traits.

You probably can figure out the breed if you look in the RO library or post some pictures of Sweetheart. The birthday you can guess at. Is this the only store you can get pet things from? If not, you can become "too busy" to shop there very often.

LakeCondo wrote:
Unfortunately, an oral promise often is worth no more than the paper it isn't written on. Potential customers have more power than former customers do. Especially if this is a chain store, look for a web site & complain, but know probably nothing will be done.

Usually the rabbits who are bred with close relatives are the ones that are considered special, because the breeding was done to increase the chance of desirable traits.

You probably can figure out the breed if you look in the RO library or post some pictures of Sweetheart. The birthday you can guess at. Is this the only store you can get pet things from? If not, you can become "too busy" to shop there very often.

Most rabbits are bred to fathers and mothersto increase the chance of desirable traits and loose traits that aren't desirable(bad teeth, bad digestive systems, etc) by bringing in another line. Its the ones that are bred to brother and sisters that perpetuate a bad trait.Nothing special about that, just good breeding practices.

And poster already put pics up of her Sweetheart trying to find out her breed. Maybe you missed it. Here it is

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=71661&forum_id=1

I'd definitely look for another pet store. If they are so unconcerned with past customers, then how do you know they will give you good advise in the future? Definitely shop around. I would.

u can always try to ask someone else who works there. thats what i always do...if someone doesnt seem to want to help, move on to the next employee...bug ALL of them if its important to u. It's their fault if they wont atleast give u a straight yes or no as to whether they can find out for u XP

Thank you all for your response, it means much to me. I have asked several employees and they mostly either do not know the answers and/or direct me to the same person that was supposed to get back to me. There is a petco in town too but things seem to cost more there, they do not have alot of rabbit things and they do not sell the litter I buy. I suppose if (after bothering them) I get kicked out of pet world, I could always go to another town to a pet smart and buy things there. They seems cheaper than all the big pet stores around here. You are all so sweet to help me get to feeling better about this, so thanks a bunch.

So Orlena and/or anyone else, by the link Karen reposted of my Sweetheart, do you think you know what type she is? She is about 10 weeks old and only weighs about 1.4 pounds. That sounds like a holland lop to me (being so small). Also, her markings are the same as broken fawn (or broken orange) holland lop... I have not seen a broken fawn mini lop.The only thing is her face is not as flat as some holland lops, although I have seen some so called holland lops that have pointier faces like Sweetheart's.

I don't know that much about breeds because it doesn't interest me that much. I got Honey at a shelter & believe she's a single-mane-gene lionhead, but I'd actually rather she had been a hybrid because they tend to live a little longer.

Oh, I could see that. Holland lops, I believe are a mix anyway... of netherland dwarfs, french lops and english lops. From what I have read they do live longer (on average) than the mini lops and of course many other rabbits due to being considered a dwarf rabbit (because of the dwarf gene they carry). I have read that smaller rabbits live longer, on average of course.

It's more clear with dog breeds that smaller dogs live the longest. The dog breed that seems the most bizarre in terrms of standards is the ridgeback. [I don't know if they still call it the Rhodesian ridgeback since Rhodesia no longer is a country.]

Anyway, the ridged back is what in other breeds would be a birth defect. The puppies born without this problem back [which reduces the dogs' lifespans] are unacceptable. They used to be killed, but I hope this isn't still happening.

I have sold baby birds to store for resale with and without supplying hatch dates. I'm sure they just guessed the date by the look of their feather growth. These store owners didn't have my contact info either so they wouldn't know how to get in contact with me if their life depended on it. And thats was just fine by me.

I know how important it might seem to know the birth date but a close guess is better than none. I have 2 dogs whose birth YEAR is not known. We have a good guess, that's all. It's a big mystery, especially for our ancient "15?" year old fossil of a terrier mutt dog who acts like he's 2. We've had him for 11 years and we were told he was 4 yrs old when we got him. The only indicator that this animal ages at all is his hair loss and trouble jumping on our bed (where he sleeps). He escapes our yard every day to romp around the neighborhood and comes home when he's good and ready.

LakeCondo wrote:
I don't know that much about breeds because it doesn't interest me that much. I got Honey at a shelter & believe she's a single-mane-gene lionhead, but I'd actually rather she had been a hybrid because they tend to live a little longer.
Wow, would love you to post that study. I would be interested in reading it. I've never heard that purebreds have a shorter life span than "hybrids" or "mutts" as I like to call mixed breeds.

I think it's how you raise them, and their diet. Some live longer than others. Has nothing to do with breeds. I know this occurs in dogs. Larger dogs have shorter life span than smaller dogs. But that's just their metabolism.

If you can, point me in the direction of this study. Would like to read it.

I agree, it looks like a Holland Lop to me. :)

Karen, the reason they say that hybrids live longer, and are healthier, is due to genetic defects. When you get a mix, the chances are smaller of avoiding common problems in purebreds (like hip displasia, blindess, etc., that runs in certain breeds).

Nobunnynoclue,
Thanks for the response! Wondering though... are you stating that the link you sent was a holland lop and/or both Sweetheart and the link are holland lops? I think they both are... have you seen more than just the avatar picture of Sweetheart? Here are a bunch if not:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=71661&forum_id=1

Also about those pet store people...I know the lady knew the breeder, she knew him and his phone number, just selfish people, that is all, unfortunately. They should have cards they give out with the animals information...such as their birthday, breed and any other information, but what do I know, ha. Just a little common sense as far as I am concerned. But enough about them. The dog you have, that is great that he is still so active, he may live alot longer at this rate. I hate to guess on the birthday but nothing is perfect...so I am going to say Feb. 1st, 2012. :)

Wendy,
Thank you, I am glad you think so too. Her markings are so much like a holland and after looking at weights of mini lops and holland lops at 10 weeks, this is what I gathered:
At approx. 10 weeks of age...
Holland lops~ l.5 lbs.
Mini lops~ 3 lbs.
Sweetheart lop (ha, my baby)~ 1.4 lbs.:)
Oh and if I never know for sure, I could always call her Sweetheart lop. :D
I guess I don't even know all of my own heritage, ha.

wendymac wrote:
I agree, it looks like a Holland Lop to me. :)

Karen, the reason they say that hybrids live longer, and are healthier, is due to genetic defects. When you get a mix, the chances are smaller of avoiding common problems in purebreds (like hip displasia, blindess, etc., that runs in certain breeds).
I think this is more true of dogs than rabbits though. I'm certainlynot an authority on all rabbit breeds but I don't think breed genetics plays as big a part in their life span, except maybe in dwarfs. I know that sore hocks can be more prevalent in some breeds, but its morebecause of their weightthan the breed itself. As someone said, I think their diet has more influence on a rabbit's health and lifespan than anything else.

Yeah, I agree, as I am sure does everyone else, that diet and lifestyle is the most important, but genetic issues could definetly play a part in some breeds. This, of course, as been know in dogs, so I could see it being so in rabbits as well.

Latest posts

Back