pet store i should've known better

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babymommy

Reaction score
My daughter and I went to the mall last night andof course, new babies are in. I am usually partial tolops. Well we were petting them and checking out theirpersonalities when this tiny little chocolate looking drawf baby comesover and starts licking my daughter's hand and doesn't stop.So I put my hand down there, just to see, and she started on mine andthen she propped her little feet on my hand to get a better grip andshe licked some more. And she let me pick her up.Oh how I wanted to take her. And of course there was also alight grey bunny kinda like Valura. She was the biggest onein there, she's been there a while. You could tell she wantedto get out and go home with someone. She was too big tosocialize with those babies.

Hi babymommy,

Uh-Oh! It's hard to forget about an experience like that.

Further reiteration for me that it's a good thing I stay out of pet stores. It's so hard.

-Carolyn

you should've seen my daughter. She hadtears of joy in her eyes. She said, mommy, Baby has neverdone this before, how sweet!

Oh Boy.

I don't envy you at this moment. That'satough one, babymommy. It sounds as if you're really thinkingabout it.

I don't know what to say. I swore that I'd only have onebunny, but after I saw Fauna, I knew that she was meant to bemine. I have absolutely no regrets at all. As amatter of fact, I don't know what Tucker and I would do withouther. She's been the best thing to happen to me since Tuckerarrived.

-Carolyn

thats what happened to me and I brought her homebest thing in the world she is so sweet and now when she's out andabout she gives me loves and makes sure she gets her pets in whileshe's doing the bunny 500

If I ever get the farm I want, or a super big house, I'm buying all the rabbits from the pet store :p

Then, I can either keep them, or give them away to excellent homes :)

MyBunnyLovesMe wrote:
If I ever get the farm I want, or a super big house, I'mbuying all the rabbits from the pet store :p

Although that sounds nice. That would really just give thepet store more profit and they would just buy more rabbits tosell. IMO, the best way to help pet store rabbits, althoughit's hard, is to not buy them. By buying them you are justfalling into the stores trap, giving them more money. Theywill just get another rabbit to replace the one you bought.By not not buying them the rabbit may live it's entire life in thestore, but that's one rabbit, compared to 50 morethat wouldbe breedto fill the purchased rabbits spot.

JMO

I am a big Animal Planet watcher. And Iremember one very special edition of Adoption Tales where there wasthis woman who rescued animals and had this big ole house.

Well she ran something called a Pet Library. And I thought this was the best thing, wish I could do it.

A child, with permission from his or her parents will get a librarycard. And for 8 weeks, the child would 'borrow' one differentanimal. One each week. At the end of 8 weeks, whentheir card was full, they would get to chose the animal they wanted fora pet for free.

I thought this was a great idea for kids to learn what they weregetting into with each different type of animal. And one ofthe girls on the program brought a little bun home :D

So many people dont know what they are getting into when they buy a petfrom a petstore, and those are the animals that end up abandoned likeNemesis or end up in shelters. Responsible breeders will tellyou that if some time comes up when you cant have the animal anymore,they will take him or her back.

I know I really cant preach too much, since both my buns arepetshoppers... but they were impulsebuys (but as a previous bun owner, I knew what I was getting into hehe)

But so many petshops are just out to turn a profit, they really dont care what happens to their 'merchandise'

Maybe after I retire (if I ever get a job) I will open a petshop that you all could be proud of =)

babydoshia wrote:
MyBunnyLovesMe wrote:
If I everget the farm I want, or a super big house, I'm buying all the rabbitsfrom the pet store :p

Although that sounds nice. That would really just give the pet storemore profit and they would just buy more rabbits to sell. IMO, the bestway to help pet store rabbits, although it's hard, is to not buy them.By buying them you are just falling into the stores trap, giving themmore money. They will just get another rabbit to replace the one youbought. By not not buying them the rabbit may live it's entire life inthe store, but that's one rabbit, compared to 50 more that would bebreed to fill the purchased rabbits spot.

JMO

That's an excellent point...I just wish I could save them all....:(

Just think about the starfish story....

A man saw a little boy on the beach throwing starfish back into thewater, and asked why he was doing it since each wave swept more ontothe beach. The boy said, as he threw a starfish back, "I made adifference to this one."

Anyway, that's my philosophy about bunnies in petstores. Go for it!

Rose

i'm with MyBunnyLovesMe, if i hadthe money and space, i'd buy all the unwanted buns and either keep themor find them homes. would i be lining the pockets of a petstore? maybe.but dont forget the breeders that supply the petstores. those bunnies are going to be sold somewhere, if notthat pet store, then another, or somewhere else. i'd go afterrescues as well, but all bunnies need love!

Back