Pet Shop Pet Food vs. Pellets - PLEASE READ!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophie

Reaction score
Hey guys n gals.

I'm just starting this "What do you feed yourrabbit?" topic up as I have changed my mind COMPLETELY aboutfeeding pet rabbits pellets - I actually think they're a good idea, andlet me tell you why.

I wrote in a while back about Mushrooms having flaky skin ...Well, he developed runny eyes as well. I tried to clear themwith antisceptic wipes but eventually it got worse, although he was ahappy bunny still jumping around I didn't want to leave it any longerand took him to the vets.

The vet examined his teeth and I found out his back teeth werecutting in to the sides of his cheek, and the reason his eyes wererunning was because the eye duct runs right next to those back teeth -leading to not only discomfort and overgrown teeth, but blocked andinfected eye ducts.

He had to have his eye ducts flushed out but also he had to beanesthetised and have his back teeth cut ... It came to, in total,£150!! I had to give him medicine and eye drops and hestoppedeating for a few days. He's been in and out of thevets to have check ups and his eyes are still not quite right.

I just wanted to warn people that"pet shop food" orcolouredfoodcan rot or decay your rabbits teethandmay not provide enough roughage wear down theirever-growing teeth. And if like me your didn't know that the eye ductruns right by the back teeth, symptoms of bad teeth are sometimesdifficult to catch early.

I just thought it was important to let everyone know of thedangers of not feeding your rabbit enough of the right types of food:)

BTW, Mushrooms is *MUCH* better now and he didn't even hold agrudge for taking him to the vets and having needles stuck in his eyes(ouch!).

Of course he didn't hold a grudge!! I'm guessinghe knows you were just trying to help. ..my recently very sick bunny Ithink knows just that...everything I've had to do to him he should holda grudge with me AND the vet...instead we both got lots of bunny kisseswhen I took him in on Saturday!

Yeah, too many pellets (especially with all thatextra junk in it) isn't very good. Except Kaytee Timothy Complete. Thatstuff rocks my proverbial socks. I give my buns a bowl of that,unlimited timothy hay, and a bunch of dark green veggies, and they'rein really good shape.

Lindsey wrote:
Yeah, too many pellets (especially with all that extra junkin it) isn't very good. Except Kaytee Timothy Complete. That stuffrocks my proverbial socks. I give my buns a bowl of that, unlimitedtimothy hay, and a bunch of dark green veggies, and they're in reallygood shape.
Mushrooms is much better now I've changed his food, it's justnow his teeth are soft and crumbly because of the "bad food" I wasfeeding him *sigh*

Sophie wrote:
Lindsey wrote:
Yeah, toomany pellets (especially with all that extra junk in it) isn't verygood. Except Kaytee Timothy Complete. That stuff rocks my proverbialsocks. I give my buns a bowl of that, unlimited timothy hay, and abunch of dark green veggies, and they're in really good shape.
Mushrooms is much better now I've changed his food, it's justnow his teeth are soft and crumbly because of the "bad food" I wasfeeding him *sigh*
I'm sure he will be just fine :)

Latest posts

Back