Pet Friendly Airlines

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When Poe flew Delta, I looked up the information. I don't think rabbits can ride in-cabin on Delta. If you're considering them, you might want to call and check it out.

Thanks for the replies...the bun we will be transporting will be a young kit, so it absolutely must ride in-cabin. The cargo hold would be much too stressful for the little one. I'm pretty sure therewould bean extra charge, regardless of the airline. We are getting ready to purchase tickets, and wondered whether anyone else has experience with this?

wabbitmom12 wrote:
Thanks for the replies...the bun we will be transporting will be a young kit, so it absolutely must ride in-cabin. The cargo hold would be much too stressful for the little one. I'm pretty sure therewould bean extra charge, regardless of the airline. We are getting ready to purchase tickets, and wondered whether anyone else has experience with this?
I would not be consider that to be to big of a problem. Poe was young. Also I had to two guinea pigs that flew from Texas to CT. They were just fine. They were relaxing like they had no care in the world.

The website is good, but general. Make sure you click on the airline for specifics. This is what the Delta site says:

Pets As Carry On

Your pet can travel with you in the cabin for a one-way fee of $150 (to be collected at check-in). Pets permitted in the cabin include dogs, cats, and household birds. Monkeys, pot-bellied pigs, reptiles, frogs, mice, rats, sugar gliders, and spiders are not permitted.

Pets As Checked Baggage

While the environment your pet travels in is temperature-controlled and pressurized, air travel is likely to be a stressful experience. To ensure your pet's comfort and safety and your peace of mind, review weather, health, and kennel Requirements & Restrictions for important guidelines.
  • Cats, dogs, household birds, guinea pigs, rabbits, and hamsters are accepted as checked baggage.
  • Primates, including lemurs, monkeys, orangutans, gorillas, and chimpanzees will not be permitted (excluding service animals).

wabbitmom12 wrote:
TinysMom wrote:
Awesome website Peg!! Lots of good information. I was happy to see that a couple of the airlines we've been considering do allow the pet to be in the cabin. Should be buying tickets within a week or so :nod. YAY!

I just wanted to add something to the discussion here.

I know that many people don't believe in shipping animals in the cargo area - and I understand their concern, etc.

However - I have received animals that have been shipped from Washington state, California, Pennsylvania - that were shipped in the cargo section and they all did fine.

I found that the younger rabbits almost did better with the flight than the older ones because they adjusted easier to being home once we got them.

A lot of it would depend upon if it is a direct flight or if there were layovers...

I would never ship an animal, especially a pet, as baggage. Too risky. And if you insist on doing that better check out that airline's record with transporting animals.

Famed pet expert Warren Eckstein strongly advises against such activity.

If a beloved pet dies all you get back, maybe, is the "real value" - zero for emotional value even if you had the pet for a decade.

I am not recommending shipping a rabbit as checked baggage (I would not do it myself). But, reputable reviews that I have heard say that airlines really are great with this. Many have special holding area for layovers with attendants. They are also priority for unloading. I would make sure to ask the airline representative very specific questions on how baggage animals are handled.

Southwest Airlines just changed their policy and now allows pets in the cabin. I don't think they explicitly list rabbits though. I believe their fee is much lower than the other airlines. They also allow up to 5 customers to have an in-cabin pet per flight, whereas some airlines limit this to 1 or 2 customers per flight. I guess someone needs to test this by trying to get approval for a rabbit.

http://www.southwest.com/pets/?int=HOMEWNEW0200PETS090713

Latest posts

Back