Pet expenses

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitty88

Reaction score
So I've been getting a LOT of flak lately from everyone who knows me about how much I spend on my pets. Due to the recession and my lack of job experience, I've been jobless for years, up until February when I got a job at my uncle's restaurant.

Background: I have an almost-six year old Beagle named Aiden, a two year old Satin named Chloe, and I now also have a Betta named Federigo and an Inca gold apple snail, who has yet to receive an official name. I'm leaning towards Mango.

Since February, I've gone shopping for myself once. For BADLY needed clothes. I've also built Chloe a nice big NIC cage and exercise pen, furnished it with litter boxes, got Aiden neutered, set up the fish tank, got Chloe to the vet for her first check up...basically, as far as I can tell, I've spent AT LEAST $1,100 on the four of them since the beginning of April.

Oh my god. I've never added it all up before. O.O Excluding vet expenses, cage building, and the aquarium set-up cost though, I've only spent about $580 on supplies/toys in the past three months.

Anyway, I maintain that I'm just making sure my pets are as happy as possible. And that I CAN'T be the only person who spends 90% of my money on my pets.

So I guess my question here is, how many pets do you have, and how much do you spend on supplies?

And, I guess, how crazy am I for spending six hundred dollars on three months worth of rabbit and dog food/toys/litter and hay?

Unless you're spending all your money on your pets, then relying on your friends or family to pay for your other basic expenses, I don't see how this is any of their business?

Well, I think the point they were getting at is that I should be saving more. Although, these are the same people that told me I was insane for spending money on a NIC cage for Chloe when there was 'nothing wrong' with her old cage. Her old cage was a foot and a half by two feet. Her new cage is three by three and a half. :/
Also, I've been called insane for getting an aquarium for Federigo to live in because he has a perfectly fine bowl.

Basically, I insist on housing my pets properly. Besides, I live in NYC. I'm never going to save up enough to move out on my own anyway. Literally. I think I've known two people my whole life who managed to move into their own apartment by themselves. Everyone has room mates here, and when I move out it'll probably be with my boyfriend anyway.

*sorry for completely rambling*

Usually I spend more in the initial set up than I do long term. So yes when I set up a new aquarium I can spend $100 easily and when I got Hermes I had to get him a bunch of things but I try to be savvy and go to goodwill and other thrift stores for his toys and sometimes I can find other things there that can be modified into cages or accessories for my other critters at thrift stores.

But vet costs can be expensive. Neutering/Spaying, shots and then the checkups and since one of my cats has chronic renal failure we have to have bloodwork done every 2 weeks. So it does add up. But as long as the bills and rent are covered I'm not worried. I will however say that you should save money and not necessarily for moving out although that could be a goal, but because you never know when you will have a vet emergency and it would be sad if you had to have your pet put down because you didn't have enough money for treatments.

In the last 6 months, I've spent at least $400 on vet care alone for my two bunnies (and one only needed nail trims). Every week I spent $10-15 on veggies. I don't even track hay and pellets since I only buy them once every couple months.

Some people will think anything spent on pets is too much, while others will go to any lengths to make sure their pets are comfortable and happy. If you have the money and are paying your bills, then who cares what others think? That's not really their business.

I had this gimondo reply and then IE lost it. :( I'm on my husband's laptop and it's driving me nuts!

Annnyway - I understand your situation. I'm jobless right now but I know my priorities. I pay what needs to paid and after that my pets are pretty high in priority in my life. With the money that I can afford to spend, I spend it on them if I feel it's appropriate and worth it. Why not? You're young, you have your whole life to pad your savings.

New pets always bring new expenses. Other than that, I think the best way to keep it all in perspective is to keep a tight record of what you spend. Even though you've already spent it, at least you can visually see where your money has gone and evaluate whether it was worth it. I have a spreadsheet that lists when, what and where I bought, and the amount/quantity that was purchased, and which pet(s) that item was for.

When I got Toby, between buying new stuff for him and the vet bills, and getting him neutered, I think we easily spent about $800 in the couple of months following his arrival. With Penny who came home with me in April this year, I estimate about $1000, with about half of that being the new bunny condo I bought Toby since he had to move out to make room for her. It's hefty when I add it all up. Sure I could have spent $0 instead of $500 by just dragging Toby's xpen out to my living room (which I did for a couple of weeks) but the condo purchase was a huge improvement on my sanity and an improvement on Toby's life because he feels less threatened now that he has an exclusive "spot". I felt that that was worth the money I spent and it will remain a "good buy" for years to come, so why not?

I think in the end it boils down to responsible budgeting and prioritization on the individual. I don't feel that you're out of control with this at all!

Yup, pets sure are expensive!
I agree with Beth's comment, 110%. As long as I am self-sustaining, can pay for my needs (food/rent/car/bills), and cover food and vet costs for pets, it's all good.

If you're looking for ways to cut down on spending, though, here's a handy article:
Supporting Your Rabbits in Tough Time$

You can save money on toys by making your own from household items that would otherwise be tossed out.
Bunny 101: Toys!

I rationalize it this way: with my extra money, I can either drink beer, or I can go get bunny supplies. Hmm, hard choice :p. If this is what you do with your "fun" money,, why not?

I also agree with LV426; very important to ensure there's $ going aside for vet care.

As long as you can afford it and it makes YOU happy, then the family should not be criticizing you for you choices. Between vet bills, food, hay, veggies, etc., my costs are in excess of $6,000 per year. But they make me laugh and smile like nothing else can.

I posted a thread a long time ago about how much you estimate per year you spend. Mine was close to $1000.

BUT I know it is wrong. I know I spend way more. I spend $10 a week just on crickets right now. Thats $520 a year right there.

My chinchillas cost me a ton because they chew so much and need really good chew/interaction toys.

I also know what you mean..sometimes I feel like I ignore myself completley..or I spend recklessly. I spent some of my rabbits nueter money on toys. So now I am in the process of saving from like step 3. It is frustrating.

I bought $30 worth of clothes last week on a free gift card I got from my credit card (Which is maxed out)

It is pretty bad. :/

i know pets can be expensive . i have one rabbit, and every month or two, i spend 200 $ on her toys and stuff. . . i'm so scared she gets bored when im not around. i understand you!

butsy wrote:
i know pets can be expensive . i have one rabbit, and every month or two, i spend 200 $ on her toys and stuff. . . i'm so scared she gets bored when im not around. i understand you!
Just wanted to comment on toys and bored buns for a sec: I used to fear Kirby was bored too. But truth is he wasn't bored at all. Buns do a lot of lounging and sleeping during the human work day and that's just natural. There are a lot of cheap toys that we can make for buns which are much more effective than the store bought toys (at least in my experience). If you are spending what you believe to be "too much" money per month on toys, try making your own toys and see what the bun likes. Sometimes the simplest things are the most fun (my buns certainly agree). Spend your money on things that you can use for a very long time to stretch your money. I definitely agree with what another member said -- make sure you have money saved for at least a couple of vet visits. Those can be a hefty hit.

kirbyultra wrote:
butsy wrote:
Just wanted to comment on toys and bored buns for a sec: I used to fear Kirby was bored too. But truth is he wasn't bored at all. Buns do a lot of lounging and sleeping during the human work day and that's just natural. There are a lot of cheap toys that we can make for buns which are much more effective than the store bought toys (at least in my experience). If you are spending what you believe to be "too much" money per month on toys, try making your own toys and see what the bun likes. Sometimes the simplest things are the most fun (my buns certainly agree). Spend your money on things that you can use for a very long time to stretch your money. I definitely agree with what another member said -- make sure you have money saved for at least a couple of vet visits. Those can be a hefty hit.

Agreed! I like to buy pet store toys once and awhile (Like today!) but i use paper towl cardboards, Phone Directory books, pinecones from trees (That I boil then bake to sanatize) and they all like those. In fact, only 1 of my rabbits really play with toys in general. Cardboard is the way to go in general..buying a bunny maze or cottontail cottage is well worth the money (imo) because I never seen a rabbit not love it!

I wish Chinchillas were like that :rollseyes

Kitty88 wrote:
Well, I think the point they were getting at is that I should be saving more. Although, these are the same people that told me I was insane for spending money on a NIC cage for Chloe when there was 'nothing wrong' with her old cage. Her old cage was a foot and a half by two feet. Her new cage is three by three and a half. :/
Also, I've been called insane for getting an aquarium for Federigo to live in because he has a perfectly fine bowl.

Basically, I insist on housing my pets properly. Besides, I live in NYC. I'm never going to save up enough to move out on my own anyway. Literally. I think I've known two people my whole life who managed to move into their own apartment by themselves. Everyone has room mates here, and when I move out it'll probably be with my boyfriend anyway.

*sorry for completely rambling*

Kitty, do you live with your parents? It's hard to tell who you live with from this post, but I'm interpreting it as you either live with your parents (hence the line about "when I move out..." or you live with a roommate already. If you do live with your parents and they're bugging you to move out, I can honestly understand why they'd be annoyed with you spending lots of money on your pets instead of saving money so you can move out and get an apartment with a roommate or your boyfriend. I'm not saying your pets DON'T deserve everything you're buying them, just that I can understand it if you actually are living with your parents but they're ready for you to move out. Especially if you aren't paying them rent or anything.

If you live with a roommate and are paying all your own bills but your parents want you to get your own apartment, well... that's just none of their business, is it? :D

I also agree with Kirby's Helen. My buns wouldn't play with any store bought toys. However I give them a cardboard box and they love it! I did go out andbuy the concrete form tube (thanks to Kirby's Helen) and they loved it. Great investment for $7.00.

Definitely save most of the money you would spend on toys for the vet visits. Especially after today, my pet expenses will probably be more than what I spend on myself all year!

I used to spend that much on all my pets. But about 2 months ago I woke up and realized that my pets where running my life.

You have to find a balance between pets and life. On the first of this month I finally paid off a 3000 buck pet bill. I have been paying on and adding to for over two years.

Now with that money I could have put a down payment down on a car which I need or started my dream job.

There is a point where you have to say how much do they really need.

I have just come to a realization recently. My oets do not get the bare minimum but they do not get everything in the world either anymore.

Like my bunnies I change toys every two weeks. So they have the same toys but they do not know that.

I buy a bale of hay now and also switch to buying a bigger bag of pellets. They also now have horse stall bedding and I looks for 75 percent off sales like after holidays for toys they don't know there playing with a x-mas toy on the fourth of july

Thank you so much for the replies, everyone! :)

Ok, I AM currently living at home. But again, this is the Bronx. My boyfriend is 27 and has had a steady job since he was 14, and he still lives at home too. The real reason I need to curb my spending is because I am not currently in school. My parents are ok with me living at home for as long as I need to, but I need to pay my own school bills and this is only fair.
My pets.....have everything they need. I don't need to buy Chloe anymore toys. She doesn't even play with the ones she has. XD
My dog is the ultimate weirdo and has no interest in any toys other than the 99 cent Petco ball I bought him two years ago. (literally, I've gotten him new ones exactly like the old one and he just won't bite.)

I'm prioritizing! I want to be a vet tech. Me being a vet tech would, in the long run, be beneficial to my babies. Plus, how could I not enjoy studying animals for two whole years? I found a vet tech program in the city that I can attend. Tuition is about $2000 a year not including books. I have the whole summer to save, basically, and hopefully I will be getting more hours soon....but in the meantime, I'm going to make lists of things I absolutely NEED to have on hand for the pets and that's all I'm going to buy.

The sooner I become a vet tech, the sooner me and Matt can move out, and the sooner (my ulterior motive!) Chloe can be a full fledged house rabbit!

But honestly, I'm 22, Matt's 27....we need to move forward soon. I need to be ABLE to move forward. Ok, time to grow up! XD

I'll also mention that a good cage/pen is an investment. It's not like you'll be needing to buy a new one every month.
Getting a new pet can be expensive up front, but usually (barring big emergency vet bills and such) will even out over the long run.
My husband and I spent a TON of money when we got our first rabbits, we couldn't believe how much we were spending on those two fluffballs. Now, though, our main expenses are food and litter, and the occasional Busy Bunny toy. (My herd gets a lot of toilet paper tubes for toys!) We brought home a foster bunny two weeks ago, and I think we spent $5 for a litter box and a pellet dish, we had everything else we needed.

I expect your pet expenses will naturally taper off after a while.

Its obviously completely up to you how you spend your own money if you are completely self sufficient. If you are living at your parents though I can understand them maybe having an option because your spending does still affect them.

However, 580 dollars in three months seems like a lot to spend on toys and food if you are asking for opinions.

One bag of rabbit food costs me 9 dollars and it lasts for about three months and hay runs about the same. I just give my rabbit toys like toilet paper rolls, paper bags, phone books, and cardboard.

Its super inexpensive and she seems really happy. I thats just how I do it though, I cant spent over 500 dollars on pets ever three months. I need to save for vet emergencies.

honestly...i have a cat and 3 bunnies and a baby workin min wage part time, and have my own apartment. i manage to spoil my pets and daughter, and my needs are normally pushed out the door.
people know better than to criticize the way i spend MY money that me, MYSELF, earned.
its not their place to tell you any of that...as long as your livin comfortable then thats all that matters

Latest posts

Back