Peppers Medical Journey - Please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraD

Reaction score
I did look through some of the old posts, but nothing seemed to hit home perfectly, and I would like to know what everybody else thinks! I really need some help.

Sorry this is a book!

____

Pepper is my Netherland Dwarf... she is turning 2 this or next month. I'll try to find some of the photos from her journey to post.

I got her in August 2010, and she was fine until November when she got a head tilt. We brought her to the vet and they said just to watch her.

About a week later, her eye started bulging slightly... they gave her some antibiotics and we continued to watch her. Very soon after (2 days or so) her eye almost instantly turned red and bloody... subsequently was removed.. during this surgery they found an assess behind which was removed. She was put on injection pen.

She was fine for a few months, when it returned. She got another surgery and went back on meds.

She had yet another surgery, the penicillin wasn't doing anything so she went on Orbax which was worse and her infection came back very quickly. We went back to the penicillin as it seemed to be working better.

Total, she's had I believe 6 surgeries, and this last one was pretty hard on both of us. She wouldn't stop bleeding and was very lethargic after coming home. Normally she was up and running within hours of waking up after surgery. My vet told me maybe we should consider ending it all for both of us next time it comes back. Obviously, this killed me inside and we snuggled a lot when she wasn't hiding under my desk recouping.

She has silly teeth that I need to trim, and I have this feeling that the infection is a tooth root problem... they never X-rayed her which I kind of think should be done, but they dismissed me about that so far.

Pepper has been a
trooper, and I don't know how much of this I can personally do anymore. I think the nightly injections and frequent surgeries are getting to be too much.

I'm thinking about visiting other vets, but I don't have the money (I don't have a job right now) to be trying out a bunch of vets, even though Pepper means the world to me.

- I know you're not all vets, but what do you guys think about her infection? Tooth Root?

- Do you think I should seek another opinion on the infection? It IS coming back, I feel it a few times a day to check up, and seems to be coming back quickly.

- is there ANYBODY in the South-Eastern Part of Michigan (Metro Detroit) that has a wonderful bun savvy vet I should check out? I visited Warren Woods, where my uncle brings his bunny, but they were not kind people when I went, and treated us poorly, so please don't suggest them.

I'm so sorry all this has happened to your wonderful girl. I can't really give any medical advice, but I know there are people here who can, whether because they have personal knowledge or are studying to be vets, or whatever.

I hope you can find another vet. Doing surgeries & not xraying the teeth doesn't make sense to me, either. Have you checked in the regional section of the forum for recommended vets?

So sorry to here of Pepper's trouble. IMHO, she wasn't treated incorrectly when she first had head tilt. Something should have been done then. Because of her teeth, infections set in. The head tilt was a clue and antibiotics should have been given that first time. X-rays should have been done too. Not denied.

I think it's her teeth. Misaligned teeth can really cause havoc. And I would definitely get another opinion with x-rays. Hoping someone can help you find a good Rabbit Savvy Vet to help poor Pepper and you. Wish I could help more.

K:)

Edited to add: Not a Vet, but I do have small breeds who do sometimes have teeth problems. Plus been through head tilt twice.

I've looked around on here, and posted in regional threads to ask again, and I have done a fair share of looking around the internet for tips on vets.

My current vets office has brought up other vets when asked as well, I DO trust them as my family has been seeing them since before I was born and the owner was a friend of mines father... but I don't think they are the right fit for my exotic.

Is there a way to post photos from my computer or do I have to host/link from online?

best to host/link, unfortunately, although they can try the attachment/browse window that comes up when you hit 'reply' (but not quick reply) or the photo gallery option which has a link/graphic on the left hand side of the forum's front page.

I agree with zrabbits, this was mishandled from the get-go, they should have prescribed an oral and an injectible antibiotic from the first sign of the tilt/infection.

I've had good luck with chloramphenicol or zithromax and bicillin injections. Never had much luck with orbax or baytril.

The antibiotics and an x-ray is still the best course. The vet should give you a freebie x-ray to make up for the putting you on this path to begin with. :(

What is her diet?

sas :clover:

Pipp wrote:
best to host/link, unfortunately, although they can try the attachment/browse window that comes up when you hit 'reply' (but not quick reply) or the photo gallery option which has a link/graphic on the left hand side of the forum's front page.

I agree with zrabbits, this was mishandled from the get-go, they should have prescribed an oral and an injectible antibiotic from the first sign of the tilt/infection.

I've had good luck with chloramphenicol or zithromax and bicillin injections.  Never had much luck with orbax or baytril.

The antibiotics  and an x-ray is still the best course.   The vet should give you a freebie x-ray to make up for the putting you on this path to begin with.  :(

What is her diet?

sas  :clover:

:yeahthat: So sorry to hear about such a rough time with having your bunny sick and all. I'll keep her in my prayers :pray:

Thanks guys for the support!

Pepper eats some pellets, but prefers her fresh veggies. greens, occasional apple slice, carrot peels, and much more. We introduced them slowly, and she eats very well. Drinks a ton of water.

She eats the occasional pineapple chunk because of her GI before, she wouldnt touch the pumpkin and still wont.

She doesn't chew on much, the only thing she chews on is my cardboard boxes.... UGH. She's been spoiled with toys and fun things, but still just doesn't chew. Im sure its all related. I clip her teeth myself because they grow so much... speaking of which, I need to do that probably tonight!

I talked with a new vet today, it's going to be a long run for us! I'm never going to forgive myself if I don't get the xray going VERY soon and see what may be able to get done for her.

The price tag is in the thousands, without a job, I started a "go fund me" page for her to see if I can raise some of it for the bills. I didn't request ALL of it, because, afterall it is my pet, but I thought I should try!
I'm not asking you to pay, but check it out! http://www.gofundme.com/qjwbk

Maybe you guys will need it someday!

I'll try to post some more pics tonight for you guys.

Here is a Pepper photo catalog lol... There are some in here that may not be for the squeamish, but I figured I could show you rabbit people :) I posted them as thumbnails, you can make them bigger if you'd like but this way you don't have to see a huge painful image if you don't want to.

Here is Pepper when she was just a couple months old... happy and no signs of sick yet...

Pepper with her head tilt Nov 2010

BEWARE... This one is kind of gruesome... Her eye the day before surgery was scheduled.

After the surgery/eye removal...

Healing up...

Here are some happier pictures of Pepper since the eye removal in 2010...

She is a snuggly girl... and in the last pic you can see her with her older brother Johnny, our fluffy kitty!

-Laura
*EDIT- Sorry the picture quality isn't the best, most are phone pics!
LaurasPhonePicsuploaded2142011212.jpg

This was super forever ago that I posted this thread, but we've been busy!

Pepper met her new vet (her abscess was getting particularly large) mommy had a breakdown in the vets office (what a super first impression!) and we spent almost 300 dollars, waited for about 3 hours, and didn't get home until 5 hours at the vet hospital. Long day.

She was put on: oral Meloxicam, Batril, and Metronidazole (0.3ml for Meloxicam & Metronidazole, 0.54ml for Batril TWICE daily), and duo-Penicillin injections (0.5ml every other day)

Almost immediately, the abscess went WAY down, but once she got used to the medicine, it got large again.

Her vet thinks that she should have most teeth pulled, and needs to have the abscess surgically removed, but she won't do it until the infection goes down and it's easier to remove. If it doesn't go down, I'm afraid she just won't do it and I'll be lost for options.

I have now spent over $500 in 2 visits, gotten another few weeks of medications, and I'm waiting on getting her teeth clipped/filed, but I don't have another $92 dollars I can part with right now to have it done with them.

Thoughts? Even just some love would be appreciated at this point. I'm jobless, and my family can't help out with the money part, and for the most part, as Pepper is my pet and I'm the only one that's made a true connection to her, they think I just need to put her down and cut my losses. :/ Stress!

LauraD wrote:
Thanks guys for the support!

Pepper eats some pellets, but prefers her fresh veggies. greens, occasional apple slice, carrot peels, and much more. We introduced them slowly, and she eats very well. Drinks a ton of water.

She eats the occasional pineapple chunk because of her GI before, she wouldnt touch the pumpkin and still wont.

She doesn't chew on much, the only thing she chews on is my cardboard boxes.... UGH. She's been spoiled with toys and fun things, but still just doesn't chew. Im sure its all related. I clip her teeth myself because they grow so much... speaking of which, I need to do that probably tonight!

I talked with a new vet today, it's going to be a long run for us! I'm never going to forgive myself if I don't get the xray going VERY soon and see what may be able to get done for her.

The price tag is in the thousands, without a job, I started a "go fund me" page for her to see if I can raise some of it for the bills. I didn't request ALL of it, because, afterall it is my pet, but I thought I should try!
I'm not asking you to pay, but check it out! http://www.gofundme.com/qjwbk

Maybe you guys will need it someday!

I'll try to post some more pics tonight for you guys.
I tried to donate a little bit to help out, but when I filled out the info and clicked "continue", it told me "This page is not ready to accept payments" :(

:pray::pray::pray:
I am so sorry for you and for your bunny love. It must be unbearable to see her go through such a long medical process and even more painful to think about loosing her. She must love you very much to fight so hard to stay with you:) You have done a phenomenal job of getting her medical help and treatment and giving her the best care at home. Sending love and prayers and the biggest hugs in the world. If the site will accept PayPal, I can contribute a small amount.

We are so sorry to hear all that Pepper has had to go through. And for you also.
We are praying for your Pepper to get better and to have the medical problmes behind you.

Oh my goodness - such a sweet little angel - yes get her x rayed - what a lovely brave little soul - God bless both of you and I pray she will be saved so she can spend many years with you - she deserves that - Oh I just want to hold her.

Best of luck with little Pepper. Mimi & I are rooting for you both, and we're so sorry that it's been such a tough journey.

I'm going to donate a little, I hope my tiny contribution will help. :clover:

Indiana buns, Becky's first husbun, had abcess issues. He had to have an eye removed as well. He came from a neglect situation and was very thin and weak when he started his fight. Unfortunately in his case the abcess was too far gone when he was relinquished and it ended up taking his life. It infected the bone so even with removing the eye the vet couldn't get it all. He was totally blind and deaf, the eye he had didn't work. He finally passed during another operation when the abcess filled the eye socket for the fourth time. Luckily I was with him, holding his paw the whole time so he did not go alone. (I love that my vet let me stay during his procedure to comfort him).

The bright side, is that the months he had in my home were happy for him. He learned how to trust and love. He would lay in urine for comfort so needed weekly baths. I put jammies on him to keep him warm while he dried. He would fall asleep in my arms with his bunwife at his side. She would help him navigate, gently nose bonking him right and left until he got the lay of the land.In his last week of life he finally started using the litter box and didn't lay in his own waste. He felt safe and at home at last.

Abcesses can be horrible, but as long as your bun still has fight, then I say fight. You are such a source of strength for them during this time. Try not to ever leave him alone at the vet's because they can easily feel we have abandoned them even if that is not the truth. I always take my kids home for nursing rather than leave them over night, they need the comfort of being with you and in their own home if at all possible. :pray:

004-3.jpg

002-3.jpg

003-2.jpg

aww... that's a sad story, but oh-so-cute to see a bunny in a onesie! I'm so glad that after being ill-treated for so long, he at least was able to end his life in a loving home where he was so well cared for!

Thanks Jennifer. Sorry I hijacked the thread a little. I just have been thinking of him a lot this week, it is the one year anneversary of his passing. I'm sure he is happily nomming away over the rainbow bridge. He loved his fruit snacks.

Latest posts

Back