People with experience treating Newborns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

Reaction score

If you don't have a surrogate mother in the case of an abandoned newborn, what do you suggest one do?

(I'm speaking of domestic rabbits.)

I've always read that KMR with a bit of cream or goats milk will do. What do you use?

Thank you.

-Carolyn

Homemade Formula

1 part Esbilac powder

1 part heavy whipping cream (not whipped!)

1 1/2 parts cold water

Blend well. Refrigerate once mixed. Dispose of left-overs in about 24 hours.

Another version - Homemade Formula

1/2 cup evaporatedmilk(Things you might have in your

1/4 cupwaterkitchen)

1 egg yolk

1 Tablespoon Baby Cereal

1/2 Tablespoon Light Corn Syrup

I know someone who does kitten rescues, who keeps the cannedgoat's milk in her kitchen cupboard all the time. She doesn'tadd anything to it for the kittens.

If you have another doe who will be kindling in a very fewdays, you can just use evaporated milk to keep the kit supplied withliquid and energy.

If you have a doe who has more kits than she can handle at onetime, you can split the litter, feeding plain evaporated milk to theones in the house with you. Then, in the evening hours, youcan exchange babies. This way, all babies get some of themother's rabbit milk during eachtime period. Bysplitting litters, or dividing up litters this way, you can save prettymuch all of the kits.

(I always had the powdered electrolyte for hogs &cattle on hand, too. I would mix that up, and add to thesecond formula recipe. You can mix that using a heaping 1/8teaspoon of the powder to 1 pint of water. This needs to bediscarded after 24 hours, and mix up a new batch.)

Since nothing seems to equal the richness of rabbit milk, youneed to feed these other formulas more often than if the kit werenursing on the doe. But, nothingbeats the formula that Mother Nature mixed up!

Thank you, Delores,

I shall pass that along as well and bump this post when the questioncomes up. :dude: Absolutely agree, nothing beats nature, but justwondering.

By the way, it's nice to see you posting again. I do hope all is well with you and yours.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back