People can be so cruel!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna21

Reaction score
I was at my favorite pet shoptoday,recentlythereare 3 new bunniesnetherland dwarfs all females! I usually likepickingthem upwhenIgo there. Wellone of the petshop workers thatdoesn't like me for some reason was talking about me saying theres thatweirdgirl whos obssesed with rabbits thinking I couldn't hearher! well I did :(she's always making somerudecomment about me everytime im in there just because Iadore rabbits and she even suggested they put locks on the rabbit cagesso that i couldn't pick them up to cuddle them!! Im just so very upsetabout this :Xwhats so wrong with lovingrabbits

call the store and tell them whats happening. they will either suspend her from work or they will fire her...

good! i'd do the same! but act. i would threatenher to kick her butt.. she is moer than likly jelious of you for somereason.. maybe for your love of rabbits and hoe the rabbits love youtoo! lol

I often go into the pet store here that sellsbunnies so I can pet them and give them attention. I think all of ushere are like that....

She probably has nothing better to do and doesn't understand thatrabbits are intelligent creatures who thrive on love and attention.

don't let them be rude to you, if you hear thatshe said something mean about you behind your back, just go andconfront her. Tell her, that she is unprofessional.

Cinnabun wrote:
good! i'd do the same! but act. i would threaten her to kick her butt..
NOT a good idea! Apt to get you in more trouble than theemployee would get in for making the original remarks.

Ideally, in front of other customers and witnesses, express yourresentment of the comments to the employee after they are made, thenapproach management. Without a witness(es), the employeecould slough you off as a "crazy bunny person." Supported byother customers, the employee will have to fess up and deal with theconsequences.

Buck

Actually, I know how hard it is to stand up topeople like that right at the moment when its needed. If I am able tosay the right thing at the time when somebody is being rude, I alwaysfeel a lot better than when I just let it slip.

It doesn't have to be a "cool, funny, orsarcastic" repartee. Just say, " I resent that remark" or"That was uncalled for."

Do not ask a question like, "Why did you say that?" You donot want to engage such a person in a conversation, but you want toshut him/her down. A declarative statement makes it difficultfor the person to avoid responsibility by claiming to have saidnothing, or meaning to be innocuous.

Buck

Buck Jones wrote:
Cinnabun wrote:
good! i'd do thesame! but act. i would threaten her to kick her butt..
NOT a good idea! Apt to get you in more trouble than the employee would get in for making the original remarks.

Ideally, in front of other customers and witnesses, express yourresentment of the comments to the employee after they are made, thenapproach management. Without a witness(es), the employee could sloughyou off as a "crazy bunny person." Supported by other customers, theemployee will have to fess up and deal with the consequences.

Buck

good point Buck... Goodluck Luna

Buck Jones wrote:
It doesn't have to be a "cool, funny, or sarcastic"repartee. Just say, " I resent that remark" or "That wasuncalled for."

Do not ask a question like, "Why did you say that?" You donot want to engage such a person in a conversation, but you want toshut him/her down. A declarative statement makes it difficultfor the person to avoid responsibility by claiming to have saidnothing, or meaning to be innocuous.

Buck
Excellent advice. Luna, there are mean-spirited and quitefrankly IGNORANT people everywhere. You'll learn as lifeprogresses that there are people out there who just can't stand to seeother people happy and when they do see them happy they do whateverthey can to chip that happiness away.

Buck's advice is very sound. Please not only use it, but thenafter that try to forget that the incident ever happened.Don't let negativity steal your joy.

Good luck in this! :) Continue to enjoy the bunnies just as you have been doing.

I know exactly how you feel. When I first movedhere I was checking out all the pet stores. I went in to this onecalled Pets Etc. There was this employee rushing around the store andshe was being horribly rude to one of the customers looking at fish.Throughout the whole store you could hear her say, "You'll just have towait, I have other customers to you know?" The person just merely askeda question as the employee passed by. So we were on our way out of thestore and we came up on the backside of a ferret display. Well my sonloves looking at them and the ferrets came running right over and werefolowing us along the plexi glass (it was a low walled hexagon shapedplexi glass container) and I'd never felt one before and I didn't thinkI would cause any harm by petting one, so as I was about to reach in.The employee yells out, "We're letting ferrets get used to being herebefore we touch them" and I said "oh ok" and imediately pulled my handback and then she said "That's why there's a sign up" and she stormedaway. I couldn't believe it, I was so embarassed I almost burst in totears. I never saw the sign since I came up on the back of the display.We left and have not gone back since.

Some places are just simply rude. If they don't want you touching theanimals, say so in a polite way. On the other hand I don't reallyunderstand it because it just seems like the extra socialization wouldbe good.

I'd start going to a new petstore, or maybe go to the animal shelter and volunteer to be a bunny cuddler! :D

Megan

Buck Jones wrote:
Cinnabun wrote:
good! i'd dothe same! but act. i would threaten her to kick her butt..
NOT a good idea! Apt to get you in more trouble than theemployee would get in for making the original remarks.

Ideally, in front of other customers and witnesses, express yourresentment of the comments to the employee after they are made, thenapproach management. Without a witness(es), the employeecould slough you off as a "crazy bunny person." Supported byother customers, the employee will have to fess up and deal with theconsequences.

Buck
I totally agree with Buck, even better (not sure of your age)bring your parent in with you. 3 out of the 5 days when Ipick my son up from school I have extra time getting off fromworkand run into the pet store next door to his school andgoo goo over the buns, everyone there must know me by now, but they arejust as crazy about their animals too. Maybe this personshould'nt be working with animals is my opinion. But yes, becareful about confronting this person and have a adult with you whileyou are speaking with the management, and I stressmanagement. Imay not have alot of experience in thebun's department, but Iam a mother andover theyears have had alot of experience dealing with individualslikethis,throwing it back inthe face wontmake it better and two wrongs dont make a right.Good Luck:D

I have to say, as a pet store manager, you shouldalert the manager. Making comments in front of a customer isa big no-no and would be a reason to be fired at my store. I,personally love it when a customer takes special notice of critters inmy store. To be honest, if they get cuddled by customers,it's a little less work forus, becausewe don'talways have time during normal hours to cuddle everyone, so we end upstaying late or coming extra early to spend extra time with everyoneand customers help us with that.

If it happens again, go directly to the manager and confront the personif front of the manager, it is harder for the employee to deny if youare there too. If they didn't want you to touch the animals,they would have them somewhere where you couldn't touch them.When we first get animals, we keep them in the back, behind glass sothey can be seen, but not touched and they can de-stress.

Jen

That is really pathetic nobody should be able toget away with saying stuff like that. Just coz you love rabbits itdoesnt mean you're obsessed and the cages need to be locked.

I was certainly hurt by the comment this workermade more than anything!! Im 21 by the way:p:DI did howevertell my mum because I was really upset, imamummy'sgurl I tell hereverything Ireally feel better since I posted though, everyone is so supportive andunderstanding about this. Thanksguys

HEY your not crazy. I work at a petstore andthere are tons of people just like you. Probably eighty percent of thepeople are. In fact I made a comment one time about a person coming inand petting the rabbits because I seen her before. Yep thats right itwas "AWWW I remember when I used to go to petstores and see the animalson a rainy day or a free day." and you know what everyone at the storethat works all piped up and said " I ALWAYS DID THAT TOO!" lol! Also atthe store we call it the local zoo because realy that is what getspeople to come in... THE ANIMALS! you are a costumer that they shouldwant. I think you should go back and have a talk about hert. I thinkthat the girl will see you talking to her boss and know exactly what itis about! They probably know her attitude and that is all they need todo something about it.

Your not crazy we all do it! Take it from a long time petshop rabbit cuddler and I petshop employee.

Latest posts

Back