Pennsylvania Breeders

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyva

Reaction score
Good morning everyone. I'm in the process of looking for a rabbit as we had to leave our last one with family when we moved almost 4 years ago. She was actually a rabbit from the mall, but I'd really like to go the breeder/rescue route this time.

That said, there isn't much around us locally. We do have 2 SPCAs, but they don't have rabbits at the moment. This is not intended as an Easter bunny. My b-day is April 7th, and hubby thought it would be nice if we started looking.

In any case, we live in a 1 BR, 1 bath apartment in Doylestown, so I think a dwarf or a mini might be best for the space.

Can anyone help with the possibility of local breeders or shelters? I spent most of last night looking, but either they aren't listed online, or they handle mostly dogs and cats. Thank you so much.

I did see the Holland lop, but I fear it may be too large for the 1 BR apartment. I plan to let him/her out while we're home, but the space is still limited.

A holland is actually pretty small only being 3-4 lbs. there isn't anything much smaller except For a polish (2.5-3.5lbs) a netherland dwarf (max 2.5lbs but can be bigger) or a Britannia petite (2lbs)

A rescue would probably be the best way to go as it hopefully will already be spayed/neutered and hopefully they can give you an idea on the buns personality.

As far as breeders, you can look at ARBA website. You can search breeders by state or by breed.

Also, you can look on craigs list. You could be rescuing one from going to a bad home. Especially at this time of year.

What about this rabbit: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/25669705 she's a Mini Lop.

I rent, and in order to have my application approved, they need to talk to our landlord who is almost always MIA because he travels. I was in the process of filling out an application last night until I got to that part, which is a shame. She sounds perfect.

Thank you all for the links. I'm looking through them now. I didn't realize a Holland was small. It's hard to tell in the photos of it.

I just called about the mini-lop, and I explained my situation. She told me a copy of our contract made with the landlord once we moved in, along with his mailing address, may be enough to get us on the 'possibles' list. We'll see.

I found this one listing, but I'm cautious. They mention the rabbits as meat rabbits, and I'm not sure if that means they're intended as snake food or not. If so, a part of me wants to save one of them, but at the same time, if they're just breeding for meat, the buns probably aren't looked after that well.

Nevermind, looks like they would be too big for us.

Last edited:
You're right. The New Zealands, Californians and Silver Fox would all be too big, as they get to about 10+ pounds. If you want a small breed they wouldn't qualify. "Meat" rabbits aren't raised for snake food, but more for human consumption; however, they can make good pets also. They're also used in 4-H and FFA for showing what they call 'meat pens'. I don't think you can assume that because they're for "meat or pet" that they aren't being well cared for.

Last edited:
Hello. There's a member on here that is a PA breeder (OakRidgeRabbits). You can visit the website or send a PM if you decide to go that route. I think they breed smaller buns. :)

Thank you all so much. I've gotten into touch with someone (just got off the phone) and will bring the bun home before the end of the week. Now I need to set up my NIC cage :)

Thank you :) I also called a bit ago so I can give my bun enough space when making the cage. He's a dwarf, but they didn't say which breed. I got a look at him yesterday, but he didn't look like he was a Netherland to me. I'll post pictures once he's all set. He's around 11 weeks and is a whiteish blue color.

He is :) I was sure he was a larger breed when we saw him yesterday, which is why I dismissed him, but then hubby told me to call and ask. I clearly don't know my bunny breeds, but I'm okay with that.

Our last one was a rex I think. Pure brown, and she had a pouch under her chin when we got her (not sure if that's a breed thing or not).

The pouch (I believe we are speaking of the same thing) is called a dew lap. It's most prevalent in females. I think it's possible for a male to grow one but only if he's overweight. It is not a breed thing.

Thanks, Pagal. I wasn't sure, but that sounds about right. Our last one was a healthy weight, but female.

Latest posts

Back