Penelope is acting strange...Please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f_j

Reaction score
Penelope is lying down and seems uncomfortable. Her tail is down, and when we nudge her to move, it stays down and she just finds another place to lie down. I don't know what to do, I don't know what this could mean...please help!!!

She definitely pooped 4 poops a few minutes ago, other than that I'm not sure. We don't know when she last ate because we were out for dinner and a movie. She ate earlier today though. We gave her some simethicone, but she won't let us rub her tummy. Will it work without tummy rubs? What are the other possibilities other than gas?

If it is gas, try to get her to start moving around a bit and excercise. Also make sure she is getting lots of water. If she won't let you rub her tummy, I would try to use a vibrating tooth brush on her tummy so that it starts moving.

How can I be sure it is gas? I knew Rupert had gas because his tummy was making loud noises, but hers isn't. She changes position fairly often, like she can't get comfortable. And her tail is still down. I'm so worried...

I'm not positive it is gas but it sounds like it. When Roxie had gas she kept shifting positions too. I would just keep giving the simethicone every couple of hours. It won't hurt her even if she doesn't have gas.

Hopefully someone else will come along....
:anyone:

Thanks so much for your help. I'm just so worried about her...I hope that's all it is...

Is her tummy making any noises? Even when it's stasis, they have gas along with it, so always a good bet to treat for that. As long as she has been peeing, pooping and eating, the chances are good it's gas from something she ate.

If she was straining to pee, or her poops were tiny and dry, she was having trouble chewing or didn't even want to sniff food, or she had beenfeeling progressively worse or eating progressively less, I'd look elsewhere.

But for now, Simethicone, tummy rubs, keep her warm, get her moving around if you can... as noted, vibration therapy like the toothbrush or putting her on top of a dryer...

Give her12hours before you worry about feeding her, and maybe six or so before making her drink water. (She's probably willing to drink some on her own).

sas :clover:

Okay, we just found this spot on the carpet of what looks like very thick pee. It is light brown or beige in color and it seemed thick, almost creamy. Could she be straining to pee??

If it's thick like toothpaste, it could be a bladder sludge issue.

If it's thick and dark, it could be concentrated and she's dehydrated.

If itappears there arered or brown strings or clots, it could be blood and could be a UTI.

Or all of the above.

Do you know when it was she peed? And how much of it there is? Can you tell if she's straining to pee?

At this point I'd get some Pedialyte and start giving her that.With any of the above, a vet trip will probably be in order.

(Are your vets open Sundays?)

sas :?

It isn't as thick as toothpaste. And it wasn't dark, it was sort of beige. I have no idea when she peed. There wasn't very much, less than a teaspoon. I can't tell if she's straining to pee, but her tail is down, so I thought that could be an indicator.

No, our vet is not open on Sundays. I'm starting to panic, I don't know what to do.

Pipp wrote:
If it's thick like toothpaste, it could be a bladder sludge issue.

If it's thick and dark, it could be concentrated and she's dehydrated.

If itappears there arered or brown strings or clots, it could be blood and could be a UTI.

Or all of the above.

Do you know when it was she peed? And how much of it there is? Can you tell if she's straining to pee?

At this point I'd get some Pedialyte and start giving her that.With any of the above, a vet trip will probably be in order.

(Are your vets open Sundays?)

sas :?

First thing to do is not to panic, they can pick up on your stress and it makes them worse.

A beige spot is pretty normal,does it look abnormal?If it's looking a little concentrated, she could be dehydrated, so go for the Pedialyte and/or diluted cranberrry juice if you have some just in case.

And keep her warm.

But try and get her to pee where you can get a good look, maybe take the litter out of her box.

Don't exercise her too much, but gentle tummy rubs are still okay if she seems to enjoy them,just try and avoid too much pressure thebladder region in the lower region just in case. (If she really doesn't want her tummy rubbed, she may know best, though).

sas

SciAniAnat8-58c.gif

Thanks so much for all of your help. My fiance just went out to get some Pedialyte. Should we give her another dose of Simethicone too? We only gave her one dose so far.

I thought I'd give an update this morning...Penelope is eating pellets and hay and acting like herself. So, I suppose it was just gas. We gave her a second dose of simethicone with the pedialyte, so I guess that did the trick. We will keep a close eye on her today to make sure she's pooping, etc. Thanks so much again for the help!

How is Penelope doing now?

I am just reading this now, and I have to say that her symptoms sound very much like Shadow's when he has had gas. I give him simethicone (he usually drinks a lot anyway), try and massage his stomach and give him a warm, rice filled sock. After a couple of hours, he improves (thank goodness).

Hope Penelope is feeling better :)

Jan

Hi Jan, Penelope is doing much better, thanks! I think it was just gas. I'm so glad it wasn't something more serious. She's eating lots and pooping today.

I'm wondering what is causing this gas? First Rupert had it a couple of weeks ago, then Penelope yesterday. I can't figure it out, all they really eat is Martin Less Active pellets and Timothy hay, and sometimes hay cubes. I occasionally give them parsley or something, but they actually aren't too keen on greens. And neither of them had any before their gas episodes. Is there any way I can prevent this from happening?

Glad to hear shes ok! Gas can come on suddenly and seem very severe. When Max had it last time I didnt hear any rumblings, I just knew it was gas by the way he was acting.

Shes got a good bunny mom. Good work getting her treated asap.

I'm glad Penelope is feeling better. Did you give her any treats before she had gas? I think I gave Roxie too many craisins and she got gas from them. I'm sure that there are certain treats that when given too many, can cause gas.

Latest posts

Back