Pen - what kind of flooring?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krystalily

Reaction score
I live in an apartment and I think Hubby and Iare thinking of moving Jazz and Spazz's cage out into the living areaas opposed to staying in our bedroom. One of the deals that I enjoyabout possibly doing this is 1.) I can finally build a bigger cagesooner rather than later and 2.) I can build a play area for themeasily that can just fold away when they aren't using it.

The problem is the carpeting. The whole apartment (minus bathroom andsmall kitchen/cooking area) is white carpet and I'd rather they didn'tpee on it or have mushy poo on it. I would use a blanket but I don'thave anything that I'd feel comfortable with them doing their businesson and not soaking through to the carpet.

I was thinking of possibly some kind of mat (the clear kind that youusually put under a rolling chair). I just don't want to ruin thecarpet (for obvious reasons) but I do want them to have an area wherethey feel comfortable enough to run around and enjoy.

I really would like for them to not be only allowed in thebathroom as it is kind of a pain to pick up around in there and makesme uncomfortable to think they could get into something in there.(Kitty litter box is in there and I am worried sick they will eat someeven though I vaccuum and pick up the box so they cannot get to it...)Call me paranoid. Paint is also peeling off of the cabinets and I dontwant them swallowing that either. (A big fat sarcastic huzzah toapartment complex owners who think that cheaplypaintingEVERYTHING is so much better than just leaving wood be)

Any suggestions for what I could use as flooring for the little guys?I'd rather it be easy to pick up, easy to clean, and easy to store awayfor when not using it. Thanks guys!!

:bunnydance:

You can put down a cheap plastic tablecloth forwhen they are out and about. As for cage flooring, cloroplast is anormal thing. Or buy a linoleum remnant at a hardware store.

Can't wait to see pictures!

We use the plastic mats for under thedesk. We cut it down to size with a circular saw so it wouldfit the size of the NIC cage, but you could leave it to whatever sizeit comes in I'm sure. I would recommend leaving a little edgeoutside the cage (makes it easier to vacuum, nothing gets stuck betweenthe wire and the cage).

If you were really generous to the two buns, you could get 2 mats, onefor under the cage, one for a little pen for some exercise.Some straw mats, towels, cardboard boxes, they'll be set forfun. :bunnydance:

there are actually picnic type blankets thathave a rubbery side to prevent moisture from getting through and theother side is like a nice blanket texture. you could probably findsomething like that at a walmart or something like that. or even frontdoor mats, some have the same type of material on one side and a nicesoft texture on top...

I use coroplast. Its like plastic cardboard andcan be found at sign stores. If you look in the phone book yellow pagesunder signs and call around you can probably find it. I got a 4ftx8ftsheet of it for 10 bucks. It cleans up great!

Also, a lot of people buy peg board or plywood and cut it to size forthe pen, then buy some of those cheap stick on tiles at Home Depot andput them on it. That also makes for easy cleanup and looks nice.

Rusty wrote:
there are actually picnic type blankets that have a rubberyside to prevent moisture from getting through and the other side islike a nice blanket texture. you could probably find something likethat at a walmart or something like that. or even front door mats, somehave the same type of material on one side and a nice soft texture ontop...
I just built a NIC cage today, because the sign storewasn't open and neither Lowes or Homedepot sell coroplast I did justthat, I bought a vinyl table cloth at Bed Bath and Beyond when I wasbuying the cubes, I layed it out on the floor with the vinyl side up,made the cage on top of it and then folded the cloth up to make cornersso that I wouldn't have any leakage. I put Lucy'slitter box right underneath her hayrack because in her smaller cage allof her poop was in a huge pile right next to the hay bowl, so far sogood, now if she will just pee in there too! : )

the bottom i am currently using is ashowercurtian(to preven moisture from seeping though) underabig slab of carpet we had left over. my buns don't chew carpet so idon't have to worry about them injesting any of it.

instead of the shower curtain, i have also used the clear plasticsheets that you can buy for when you paint. . . you can buy this bigrole of it for rather cheap, and cut it to fit the size you want.

Latest posts

Back