Pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katnanw

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm back from my hiatus lol :p

So anyway. Title says it all. Do rabbits really need pellets in their diet? Mine get 2 cups of veggies per day (maybe some leaves as midday snacks) and one tablespoon of fruit twice a week, as well as unlimited American Pet Diner Timothy Gold hay, mountain grass and oat hay too. Pellets are only fed once a day, two small spoons for two rabbits.

Pellets do provide vitamins and minerals that can be hard for a rabbit to get naturally. They would need a goo variety of veggies, hay and other foods to help make up the vitamins and minerals.
There are some people who do a pellet free diet, but it can be a lot of work to make sure you don't give too much of one thing and not enough of another.

Even a small amount of pellets will be good. You can also try a rabbit multi vitamin supplement.

If you want to go pellet free, you should do some research on the nutritional value of veggies and what rabbits need. Also look at offering a variety of hay and even some wild grasses (you would need to know what is safe and what isn't and that they are not sprayed with chemicals).

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Pellets do provide vitamins and minerals that can be hard for a rabbit to get naturally. They would need a goo variety of veggies, hay and other foods to help make up the vitamins and minerals.
There are some people who do a pellet free diet, but it can be a lot of work to make sure you don't give too much of one thing and not enough of another.

Even a small amount of pellets will be good. You can also try a rabbit multi vitamin supplement.

If you want to go pellet free, you should do some research on the nutritional value of veggies and what rabbits need. Also look at offering a variety of hay and even some wild grasses (you would need to know what is safe and what isn't and that they are not sprayed with chemicals).

Thanks. Cuz here where I live' pellets are expensive and I can't finish them within the freshness period. I don't wanna feed my boys stale loudly pellets (and they dont eat it anyway so.....) :/

Try putting them into smaller plastic bags, the zipper ones are best. You can also freeze them (buy freezer bags). This way you are not opening the bag everyday, just a smaller bag. Package them into what you would use in a couple weeks. Buying smaller bags can help as well.

If you aren't feeding a lot of pellets, then you can get away with using ones that aren't as high quality. It can help save money and might come in a smaller package. You still need to get ones of a decent quality, and avoid mixes with seeds and such.

Do you know anyone near you who also had rabbits and feeds the same pellets? It might be worth it to buy together and share a bag. There would be no waste then and the pellets should be fresher. You could even offer to buy some from them, even offer a bit more than what they would pay, you get the amount you need and fresh without having to worry about getting too much.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Try putting them into smaller plastic bags, the zipper ones are best. You can also freeze them (buy freezer bags). This way you are not opening the bag everyday, just a smaller bag. Package them into what you would use in a couple weeks. Buying smaller bags can help as well.

If you aren't feeding a lot of pellets, then you can get away with using ones that aren't as high quality. It can help save money and might come in a smaller package. You still need to get ones of a decent quality, and avoid mixes with seeds and such.

Do you know anyone near you who also had rabbits and feeds the same pellets? It might be worth it to buy together and share a bag. There would be no waste then and the pellets should be fresher. You could even offer to buy some from them, even offer a bit more than what they would pay, you get the amount you need and fresh without having to worry about getting too much.

I bought a smaller pack of Cuni Pro.....got nagged at by the local House Rabbit Society team cuz apparently Oxbow is best ;(

Latest posts

Back