pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuddlexoverload

Reaction score
I did buy rabbit pellets in bulk and threw awaythe original bag, but i was just looking at the guinea pig food. itssaid that like crude protein was 18% min. fiber 14% max. and yeah. now,i dont think this is good? could someone tell me... i think thereshould be more fiber than protein right? and maybe thats why i seegooshy poos in holly?

The fiber percent on that does sound a littlelow. I've heard a good rule of thumb is 18-20% fiber... And that wouldbe the minimum. Make sure she has lots of hay if you continue feedingher a lower fiber. Timothy hay is a great source of fiber for her.

There are other factors at play that wouldcontra-indicate the use of cavy pellets for rabbits as well, Ibelieve. Has to do with vitamins that cavvies need, but woulddetrimental to the buns, or some such, if memory serves me correctly.

Buck

actually those numbers are decent depending onyour bunny, the fiber % is decent and won't harm the bunny, the proteinsounds good but what breed is the bunny?

what you should be looking at is the vitamin c % asmall dose or 0 dose is best. the reason being that rabbits can producetheir own form of vitamin c so they don't need it. giving them a highdose will cause minor to severe digestive problems depending on howmuch they ate but a small amount is fine as long as you mix it up withreal food.

if you go to any animal doc, they'll tell you the best thing you can dois to actually not feed pellets to your rabbit.. feed it real food andthey'll be much happier. i have a friend who owns several rabbits andthis happened to them. i've had mine for a while now and tried movingthem to real food, they like it a lot more and seem happier. they alsohaven't been getting sick, yeah it costs a lot more to feed them realfood but it's your choice

A good pelleted diet should have 18-30% fiber asa minimum. Protien should be around 17% or less. Never feed pelletsthat have the fiber level below the minimum protein amount. Andcontrary to the last post, yes they do need pellets. Alot of rabbitscan't stomache fresh greens and veggies, and should have pellets as themain source of diet. Most vets around here will recommend a pelleteddiet for your bun, and your pig.

Guinea pigs have differrent nutritional requirements then rabbits do. They have to have a vitamin c sourse. rabbits don't.

I disagree with feeding all vegetables andfruit.rabbits should be fed pellets.companys like purina spendthousands of dollars researching what rabbits require.I dont feedpellets because they are cheaper, i buy the best brand of pellets i canget.I spend a lot of money on my rabbits.bluebird

I feed that too. Isn't it awesome? My rabbits winalot on that. Till they fired me at subway a coupl eof weeks ago, Iused to bring home the expired romaine lettuce and shredded carrotshometo feed to the buns astreats. I was careful togive the moms with babies very very small amounts. Everyone did good onthat.

rabbits don't eat pellets in the wild so i feedthem organic fruits and veggies they would normally eat in their realhabitat. if you try it, you'll see a big difference, they play a lotmore, they play with you a lot more, and they just seem happier andhealthier overall. none of my rabbits have ever been sick so i'msticking to what i normally feed them.

pellets are dried fruits and veggies with a synthetic formula whichmake up a bulk of the pellets you buy. the food is dried or dehydratedbecause obviously it won't stay fresh on the shelves at the store. asfor having synthetic pellets rather than real food, synthetic fooddoesn't have everything a rabbit needs, sure some of them may fulfillrequirements for their dietary needs but good food has severaldifferent properties you can't find in pellets such as MSM and othervitamins which are only being synthesized in your pellet diets.

the reason why these companies spend money in pellet diets is becauseit's a cheap alternative to keeping your animals healthy compared tobuying the proper food. think, why do you take vitamins? because thefood you're eating most likely doesn't have everything you need, if youeat properly, you don't need vitamins.. just like how if your rabbitseat properly, they don't need pellets.

Latest posts

Back