Pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwhoosh

Reaction score
How much pellets should a rabbit eat? I feel like mine doesn't eat a lot, but I'm not sure.

I don't know exactly how much she weighs, but under 5lbs. 4lbs something, I think, and 2 years old. I usually give her 1/2 cup of pellets, but she typically only eats half of that, about 1/4 cup. Is that enough? Of course, she has unlimited hay and water. About 2 craisins a day.

Do you give veggies? I personally think the best diet for a pet rabbit of that size is 2c fresh veggies, 1/8-1/4c timothy pellets a day with unlimited hay and water. If you don't give veggies, I don't know how much pellets to feed...

i feed veggies, unlimited h ay and limited pellets. The two rabbits are a total of 11-12 lbs and they only get 1/4 cup of pellets a day.

I believe that the pellets should be the main diet of a rabbit.I give limited hay a few times a week. With the heat if I notice them off feed I give hay so that they eat. I was told by a breeder that a rbbit should get an once of feed per pound of weight. A 4# rabbit gets 1/2 a cup of pellets

I think everyone has their own belief of what a rabbit should eat. I believe that hay is something though that should be given without any limitation, to graze on and eat however much , whenever they want. Rabbits are constant grazers and the hay should be there for whenever t hey want it.

I dont believe that pellets should be a main part of the diet and that a fresh , variety of veggies with unlimited hay is the way to go

Here's a video I made discussing diet/nutrition for rabbits.

My rabbit is the velveteen lop, Pixel. She has nipped Dr. Cruzen a few times. :shock:

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=sfeGU9vetWk]http://youtube.com/watch?v=sfeGU9vetWk[/ame]

Basically, low protein and high fiber diets are best. A quarter cup of pellets (or less), fresh vegetables, and unlimited hay. The hay adds much needed fiber without which the rabbit is more prone to experiencing G I stasis. Also, the hay helps wear down the teeth.

The primary diet of any rabbit should be hay (grass). A rabbit is designed to digest low protein, high fiber food. Pellets were originally designed for a purpose I prefer not to mention....but they are made to add weight quickly. Even the "premium" pellets contain far too much protein for even the most activehealthy rabbit. We use pellets only to maintain weight and body conditioning. Young rabbits, those recovering from illness or our senior buns get free choice pellets. We have some buns that get no pellets and are very healthy eating only hay and limited veggies. Our nearly 30 pound Flemish Giants get less than a quarter cup pellets per day. Too many pellets makes too much rabbit....and fat rabbits have a multitude of problems. Pellets also allow the teeth to overgrow as it's the chewing motion of the hay that keeps the teeth worn down. And too many pellets will lead to poop issues.

Randy

Thanks for everyone's advice/opinions :biggrin2:

I know hay is very important, and she gets as much of that as she wants. I'm glad to know 1/4 cup is okay, even good! (and a little proud that she made that decision herself, haha!) She usually gets lettuce every day, but not always. I'll try to give her some more of it in the future :)

ra7751 wrote:
The primary diet of any rabbit should be hay (grass). A rabbit is designed to digest low protein, high fiber food. Pellets were originally designed for a purpose I prefer not to mention....but they are made to add weight quickly. Even the "premium" pellets contain far too much protein for even the most activehealthy rabbit. We use pellets only to maintain weight and body conditioning. Young rabbits, those recovering from illness or our senior buns get free choice pellets. We have some buns that get no pellets and are very healthy eating only hay and limited veggies. Our nearly 30 pound Flemish Giants get less than a quarter cup pellets per day. Too many pellets makes too much rabbit....and fat rabbits have a multitude of problems. Pellets also allow the teeth to overgrow as it's the chewing motion of the hay that keeps the teeth worn down. And too many pellets will lead to poop issues.

Randy
That reason is why rabbits were domesticated. Pellets are mainly made from hay.Not grain.Feen leaf lettuce, romain etc. NOT iceberg

Lias_ark, why do you limit their hay? Rabbits should be given unlimited grass hays in order to keep their digestive tracts working properly and their teeth worn down. Hay (and fresh greens when possible) should be the majority of their diet supplemented by pellets (and it should be more like .5 ounce pellets per lb of body weight at the most).

Im not trying to criticise you, just offering some suggestions based on a lot of research.

I restrict hayas I keep a close eye on their weight and condition. Sorry butI will listen to the feed experts. I have attended clinics offered by purina Mills.They have done extensive research on rabbit nutrition.

My litters and youngsters get hay daily till about 3 months and unlimited pellets. I feed greens rarely and not to a bun under 6 months of age.

Lias_ark wrote:
I restrict hayas I keep a close eye on their weight and condition. Sorry butI will listen to the feed experts. I have attended clinics offered by purina Mills.They have done extensive research on rabbit nutrition.

My litters and youngsters get hay daily till about 3 months and unlimited pellets. I feed greens rarely and not to a bun under 6 months of age.

I think you'll find we have a few experts of our own on this board. ;) But opinions vary and everybody is entitled to their own.I tend to base mine on provenmedical advice from a rabbit-savvy Vet or nutritionist.

A pellet company has no vested financial interest in recommending hay, because to do so will lose them business -- they willneed fewerPurina pellets.

Timothy hay will not put on weight but will provide fibre that will keep their weight under control. It also provides dental health and much entertainment value -- they are foragers.

Alfalfa hay (and alfalfa pellets) will put on weight.

Vegetables can be fed carefully in small amounts from the time of weaning,my personalchoice because it better prepares thebabies forwhen they leave the breeder. Variety at ayoung ageis good preparation for whatever they may encounter in their future.

I find many breeders to be very knowledgeable as well, but they have different needs -- it's notthat easy to provide veggies and hay diets for large numbers of bunnies. A quality pellet is a necessity.

Alsothose with show rabbits tend to have different goals. They need to be in a specific form, and many don't get much time outside the cages. Indeed, even having outdoor cages means different vitamin requirements.

Rabbit care is apretty complicated business.

sas :bunnydance:

Back