Pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weedflemishgiants

Reaction score
I have giant rabbits. I'm using the Purina Advanced because it is the only 18% in our area and recently discovered the bunns during show time and breeding really need that 18%,.

Problem is it is formulated using New Zealands as an example and while they are pretty big, they are not as big as Flemish.

A friend of mine recently told me not to use the Purina during gestation as it would give too much calcium and the kits would be too big.

Others said she did not know of what she spoke.:shock:

Any ideas?

Hmmm, well, I have not heard of that one myself. A pregnant/nursing doe ought to have the higher protein to keep her strength up, so to speak. Plus big babies is a good thing with Flemish Giants. I'm sure having babies too big to pass can still happen with them as well as smaller breeds, but none of mine ever had that problem, and they were on a feed with 18% while I was breeding. What kind of rabbits does your friend raise?

She raises all kinds but she also raises Flemish. She may be more concerned about the calcium than the protein. I know I was feeding my first doe with a custom conditioning mix once that was high in calcium and that litter I did have a couple of babies with very large heads that did not survive. My friend told me it was her conditioning mix that did it. That was when I switched to my own concoction and I've not had any problems since.

But I switched to the 18% a few months ago. the other feed was "not less than 16%" which I don't like anyway. I want a feed with a guaranteed protein amount. but in any case, my last litter came out very nicely on the old feed, but as they grew they started to be too flabby and that was when I switched to the Purina. Since then they have firmed right up. Now I have to make sure more than ever they have the good grass hay as the feed has a lower fiber count. But it is specifically formulated for gestational, nursing does and weanling babies and rabbits stressed from show. So I'm having a problem rationalizing that the doe would need LESS calcium or protein. I guess the proof will be in this litter.

Latest posts

Back