Pellets Vs Mixes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Numbat

Reaction score
Here, there are hardly any brands that are pure pellets. The rest have all this other stuff (can't remember what, will check when I can). Are just pellets better? What is the best diet for a bunny? And I've never heard grass mentioned anywhere. We give heaps of grass to the bunnies as well as the rabbit food mix and veggies. The rabbit food here is usually for both rabbits and guinea pigs (even though they eat different food) so it's probably catered more to guinea pigs? I think I might buy pellets next time, I think it's more expensive though.

Pellets without all the other junk (it's just like junk food for humans!) is the best diet out there. Rabbits have very sensitive digestive tracks so a good diet is crucial to maintain good health. :) I should stress that not all pellets are created equal. Certain brands have more dust or are not as fresh. Personally, I use and love Oxbow.

I would be weary feeding anything made for rabbits and guinea pigs because guinea pigs cannot create their own Vit C, so it must be supplemented and put in their pellets. This would concern me when being fed to a rabbit because they might be getting too much Vit C in their diet and not enough of the vitamins they really need since Rabbits are much more active.

Not sure what it's like in Melbourne but when I was in Syd in Petsmart or pet something, it was a yellow and black place. But I remember seeing plain pellets. Just looked on ebay and theres oxbow stuff on there, 9 bucks shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bunny-Basics...ItemQQimsxZ20090114?IMSfp=TL090114127001r9067

Not sure of your bunnies ages or anything so wouldn't know what link to give you but have a nosey round there and you should find something.:)

Edited to add

http://www.oxbowaustralia.com/victoria.htm

That gives a list of Oxbow suppliers in Vic.

Thanks! I just read on one website you should not feed rabbits any mixes at all and only oxbow pellets if any pellets at all. Almost all our food here is mixes! So a lot of pets must be eating the wrong food :? My dad just bought another box of rabbit/guinea pig mix too!

You don't have to feed oxbow pellets but it is one of the few pellets that has a timothy pellets

I agree that the mixes are not good ; neither is feeding guinea pig food to a rabbit but try to let PepnFluff help you as you may be able to get a decent plain rabbit pellet somewhere in your area or on-line if it comes to that.

even if it is an alfalfa pellet itwould be better than the mix butit should be low protein , low fat, low calcium and high fiber at least above 18%

Back