Pellets that you feed--and why you feed them.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Please share the specific brand name/type of pellets that you feed your rabbits and also specify the breeds that eat it.

How do your rabbits do on this pellet: any repetitive digestive (or shedding) woes, great amounts of calcium being passed (and/or urinary crystals), etc.?

I ask this question becauseour Cali buneats Oxbow BB/T and has done for most of the 1.5 years that we've had him. But he has great gut sensitivity--even to hay types, it seems--and I find balls of fur floating around his pen at all times. I'm wondering if he needs to have at least some higher protein pellets mixed with the Oxbow?

Thank you,

Jenk

I feed a 50/50 mix of Oxbow BB/T and ZuPreme Nature's Promise Rabbit Feed. It's pretty much a matter of economics; feeding 100% Oxbow is pricey, but ZuPreme is a little higher protein than I like for an older rabbit like Brindam especially. I actually really like ZuPreme's ingredients better, but I feel the protein is a tad high. Might not matter for the negligible ammount of the diet made of pellets, but Brindam has GI sensitivity. One of her sensitivities was to Alfalfa and Alfalfa based pellets, I'm guessing because of the protein.

Since I started feeding these pellets mixed, I noticed that my rabbits have larger, better formed, more consistent fecal pellets. I rarely see "mud butt" and when I do it is related to an excess of fresh or sugary foods. I also feel like neither of them is quite as sheddy. Steve noticed the same when he switched his bunnies; Leon in particular had REALLY bad dandruff when we adopted him, and now he sheds less and has no visible dander.

Jenk,

If your bun is constantly shedding (i.e. fur balls flying around at all times), its probably time to move the diet into higher protein. A lot of people with pet rabbits do go to a low protein, low fat, high fiber diet which works to some extent. But you still need to have an adequate about of protein and fat in there.

For a pet rabbit, I personally suggest 15-16% protein pellets and 1.5-2% fat. This seems to work well and helps them keep good flesh and coat condition. When in good coat condition, a rabbit will molt once or twice a year but mostly be in good coat that will not constantly shed out and cause blockages.

I feed my guys Purina Fiber 3

Storm get 1/8 cup of pellets a day
Fixed netherland Dwarf
No veggie in diet although I have noticed he handle changes better on this food.
Free Feed local grown hay.

Jessi Get 1/4 cup a day
Spayed Holland Lop
4 veggie meals a week.
Unlimited Local grown hay

I Storm over because of price point. But his fur looks even better his last molt was quick. Jessi when she came in she went on the same feed as Storm.

I like it a lot and Purina has been in business for a very long time so they must be doing something right.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
For a pet rabbit, I personally suggest 15-16% protein pellets and 1.5-2% fat. This seems to work well and helps them keep good flesh and coat condition. When in good coat condition, a rabbit will molt once or twice a year but mostly be in good coat that will not constantly shed out and cause blockages.

What higher-protein pellet--besides Purina--could someone recommend? I'm against feeding any food that comes in a huge bag and has been sitting around a warehouse for God-knows-how-long. I'd be more willing to feed him Purina if it weren't for this fact/issue.

Thanks in advance!

Jenk wrote:
OakRidgeRabbits wrote:

What higher-protein pellet--besides Purina--could someone recommend? I'm against feeding any food that comes in a huge bag and has been sitting around a warehouse for God-knows-how-long. I'd be more willing to feed him Purina if it weren't for this fact/issue.

Thanks in advance!

For the record, Oxbow BBT contains a minimum of 14% crude protein, so does ZupreemNature's Promise Rabbit food. Oxbow's alfalfa blend (15/23) is min. 15% protein. So in terms of crude protein alone, I don't see why Zupreem would be chosen over Oxbow bbt. There are other things different about the Zupreem blend, because I know some buns have poopy butt on many other brands but end up doing quite fine on Zupreem.

I was feeding all my adult rabbits Oxbow BBT but Toby, my constant shedder, was getting furry poops on and off all the time. He had full blown stasis once. I've been blending Oxbow BBT and 15/23 to give him some alfalfa and he's been doing a little bit better. I haven't seen as many rolling furballs on the ground lately, but he hasn't stopped shedding completely. Not as much furry poo either. He doesn't have calcium issues though - he never has. (Knock on wood)

kirbyultra wrote:
I've been blending Oxbow BBT and 15/23 to give him some alfalfa and he's been doing a little bit better. I haven't seen as many rolling furballs on the ground lately, but he hasn't stopped shedding completely. Not as much furry poo either. He doesn't have calcium issues though - he never has. (Knock on wood)

I don't know if our guy had "official" calcium issues. He was passing a lot of white calcium deposits, and the vet was concerned that it could lead to issues. But at that time, our boy was eating just Purina pellets(the green bag version), which is what he ate at the shelter.

I feed a mix of Oxbow BBT & 15/23 currently, but only because I got both bags for free (well...I have always fed Oxbow, actually). I don't have any issues with feeding this mixture (normal shedding, pee, & poo). I feed it to a Lionhead, Holland Lop, Harlequin mix, and a Mini Rex/Holland mix. Once they are done with this mixture in a few months then I will switch over to Purina Fibre3 (alfalfa based). I might also look into ordering some Sweet Meadows, but its going to be really expensive in order to do so.

My English Lop foster eats (I think) Purina in the green bag, but I am going to switch him over to Fibre3 next week.

Red Mills Rabbit Pellets.
I feed it because it is the only pellet that comes in bulk, and I can't afford a tiny bag of pellets every few days lol!

Jenk wrote:
OakRidgeRabbits wrote:

Thanks in advance!
Well, Purina is an excellent food. My rabbits have been on it for awhile now and I check the mill dates on all the bags I purchase before I feed it.

But I think they only come in 25 and 50 lb. bags, so that wouldn't work for one or two pet rabbits.

I would suggest finding a feed that has the protein and fat content you want, make sure the dates are fresh, and just go from there! I remember using a feed just from Walmart at one time and it was a pretty good feed. I made sure the dates were fresh, it came in smaller amounts (I had less rabbits at the time), and they stayed healthy and in great condition. So you don't necessarily have to seek out a specific brand or dealer- feed quality varies so much by location and climate as well. I'd just find a feed local to you that meets your qualifications and give it a try.:)

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
...Ithink they only come in 25 and 50 lb. bags, so that wouldn't work for one or two pet rabbits.
It would be only one rabbit--our Californian--eating it; so, yeah, a lot of it would go to waste.Ironically, though, it would still be cheaper to waste Purina than to feed him every last drop of Oxbow.

Still, I don't want to return to that particular feed store, the only one I know of semi-near me that sellsbulk pellets.

I would suggest finding a feed that has the protein and fat content you want, make sure the dates are fresh, and just go from there!

That's just it, though: I don't know the "right" protein/fat content for our guy. And I'm admittedly scared to start altering his diet because he's had such gas issues from seemingly everthing. :shock: Still, I think that his ongoing shedding might be helped by at least a somewhat higher protein/fat content.

...Feed quality varies so much by location and climate as well.
Agreed. Being in the Midwest, our weather varies a lot.

For the record, Oxbow BBT contains a minimum of 14% crude protein, so does Zupreem Nature's Promise Rabbit food.
That is so weird. The site I ordered my Zupreme from said it was 18% protein! But now that I'm looking on the main Zupreme site it says 14%. I don't have the bag anymore to confirm but I'm going to be miffed if I could have been feeding Zupreme all along, as I like the ingredients a bit better and it also is cheaper!

I should also ask: Is it generally a bad idea to mix vastly different pellet brands--at least for a sensitive-gut bun?

Even if I consider slowing re-introducing Purina pellets to ourboy's diet,I'd mix them with Oxbow BB/T--never feeding just the Purina again. But I don't know if Oxbow and Purina "mix" well, so to speak.

:biggrin2:

Korr an Penelope are both on Oxbow BB/T. They have been on it for 2.5(I think) years. Korr sheds quite a bit, but he always has. He does have a nice shiny coat. Penelope does well on the pellet. Since they are bonded, it would be difficult to give them both different pellets. They get 3/8 of a cup a day to share. Korr is a mixed breed and weights about 4.5 pounds. Penelope is a Lionhead and is about 3.5 pounds

Lillian is on Master Feeds which is a feed store brand that I believe is fairly locally made. I did have her on Martin Mills alfalfa food (Canadian made), but she did not have the condition I would have liked and had lost condition since I got her and put her on it, she had also been chewing her wool. Since she has been on the new food, she is doing much better. She gets 1/2 cup a day. Lillian is a Giant Angora and weights about 10 pounds.

RandomWiktor wrote:
For the record, Oxbow BBT contains a minimum of 14% crude protein, so does Zupreem Nature's Promise Rabbit food.
That is so weird. The site I ordered my Zupreme from said it was 18% protein! But now that I'm looking on the main Zupreme site it says 14%. I don't have the bag anymore to confirm but I'm going to be miffed if I could have been feeding Zupreme all along, as I like the ingredients a bit better and it also is cheaper!

Zupreem is 14% i am looking at a bag I found of it while cleaning the bunny area.

I am going to have to donate this bag to bunny buddies.

The funny thing is I must of had this bag a while cause it goes bad in three months.

But going from Zupreem to Purina i love purina its so much fresher smelling and looking.

I've been feeding my two Oxbow BB/T for more than a year now without any problems. Not gut issues (*knock on wood*), nice coats and consistent weight. They don't seem to be shedding excessively either. Sometimes Amber passes a string of pearls if she's having a heavy shed or ingesting a lot of fur. If so I push hay and veggies. They get 1/4 cup each every morning. Dunkin is a Himalayan mix and Amber is a lionhead/lop mix.

I wish I could get a better brand of food around here. You can only really get the stuff from pet stores which is a rabbit/guinea pig mix and has seeds and stuff in it. Im going to go to a local feed store where I get my oat hay (the only place in my whole town!) and get some loose pellets that they have (not in bags).

My main problem is any food I have to give them I have to sift it! Because its all full of dust and little particals! Oxbow is too expensive here! More than $40 for a kilo :( Wish I could get something good locally!

Latest posts

Back