Pellets in my rabbit.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIGH_HEAT

Reaction score
So,
I found that my bunny "chubby" has bumps on his stomach andback, i have had him for four years now and i got him at one year old.I was very worried about these bumps so i called up chesterfield Vet inTrenton NJ to get him checked out. Come to find out my rabbit was shotwhen he was young and these pellets are just coming out through hisskin. I am glad he is ok. I just wanted to share with you guys ifanyone has had an experience like this before.

thanks
mike

Yikes!

Was he a rescue? The poor baby:(.I've heard of such incidents with dogs, cats, horses, eventurtles, but never a rabbit.

I'm glad he's safe and sound with you now :)

~Emily and the Fuzzbutts~

I am glad that the bunny is with YOUnow!!! :bunnydance: Wow, poor thing. Justmake sure and watch were those pellets are coming through...don't wantto get infected. Keep us updated!

Sharon

i got him from some breeders down the NJ shore. The people who got himlast had returned him because they were moving or something. Thats howi got him at 1 yr old. ya i was shocked as well!

thats what the doctor said , if they happen to bother him they need to be removed asap, and i agreed.

You should find out if the pellets are lead ornot - if they are they could cause lead poisoning if not removed (thetypical round BB pellet will stick to a magnet, lead will not.)

You're welcome. Multiple pellets could indicatea shotgun, & shotgun pellets are generally lead (there has beena move to the use of shot made from steel, tungsten, & othernon-toxic materials for environmental reasons, but lead is stillcommon).

Except for steel, all the alternative shot materials are non-magnetic,so if a magnet does not stick to the ones in your rabbit you can'treadily tell if you have lead or not. So the safe way to go in thatcase would be to have all the shot removed.

Woul you be able to tell if they stuck to amagnet through the rabbit's side, though? I am assuming thatnone of them have been removed yet.

If the shot is just below the skin & youhave a strong enough magnet, you could tell. Otherwise a pellet willhave to be taken out to check. Non-magnetic shot would haveto be assumed to be lead & removed.

Lead poisoning claims the lives of untold millions of wild animals every year, either by being shot or by ingesting the pellets.

"shot" hasn't been made out of lead for several years.

ed

I'm not a shooter, but according to what i readonline, lead shot is still legal in many places except for wildfowlhunting. No more?

Lead shot is still avaialable but it usually hasa coating such as copper. High- heat, we had the same thinghappen with a cat we adopted 9 years ago. She became ill andthe x-rays showed BB pellets. Fortunately it was sittingoutside her stomach and not in it.

What happened is that the copper coating on the pellets eroded andbetween the sharp pieces and the lead, she became ill. Herprevious owner let her run outside. She has been indoorssince she moved in with us.

The surgery was done right before Christmas and wassuccessful. We had to use antibiotics before and after andfluid therapy to counteract the lead.

Good luck with your bunny.

omg,what that poor bunny went through while hewas still young himself,that is torchering a live animal,i dont evenwant to think what that bunny went through while it was getting shot atwith a pellet gun.

i have these wicked thoughts in my head thinking what i would like to do to that person or anyone who hurts a defensless animal.

poor chubby to have to have gone through something like that.

at least he is with someone who loves him:)

thanks so much for all your help veryinteresting .. i told the doctor about these forums .. though i dontpost that much i enjoy reading everyones comments

ill keep everyone updated on "chubbys" status.

thanks

mike

If the pellets are non-magnetic then most likelythey are shotgun pellets & you have a very lucky bun.BBs as used in pellet guns are about .16 to .17 in diameter, which mayhelp to distinguish them from steel shotgun pellets. A BB gunis less likely to kill a small animal except at very close ranges.

There are also lead BBs as well as non-spherical projectiles used insome air & CO2 guns. These are the standard BB diameter for themost part.

A BB gun would also suggest a nasty kid outshooting anything that moves. The thing that boggles my mind is, didChubby's previous owners let him play loose outside? Becuase if not,then he was shot while in his hutch, or at the least on theowner's property, right? So how could the owner not have know about it?I think I would notice if I came out to take care of my rabbits one dayand one of them had been shot! The only thing that says is, the owneror owner's child did it, and they didn't care enought to take the poorthing to the vet. That makes me so mad.
I saw on a poultry forum awhile back about a lady who had something like 200 birds killed byteenagers with a shotgun (or some other gun, I'm not sure) in one daywhile she was at work. I can't even imagine coming home to a scene likethat.

The multiple pellets suggests that either it was a shotgun, or he was in fact shot inside a hutch with a BB gun.

If he had been outside likely he would have fled, altho a domesticatedrabbit might be easy to pursue & shoot multiple times.

Latest posts

Back