Pellets and Poop...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
I've noticed that Emma's poops, although normal in size (for her), have turned dark over the past several days. Her appetite and water consumption are the same.

Only two things have recently changed with regards to her diet: 1) I started feeding her a small amount of pellets (1 T/ day) one week ago; 2) I gave her oat hay for the first time on Thursday (but I believe that some of her poops seemed darker prior to that). It also seems that the darker ones are less dry than her lighter-colored ones.

Could such a change come about from her system adapting to pellets (which she's not had for several months)? Or might this indicate some form of a medical issue? I'm a little fuzzy on what might prompt a change in the color/ moisture level of rabbit poop.

:anyone:

Thanks,

Jenk

I believe the most common reason for poops to darken in colour are from increased moisture. My guess would be that her gut might be stabalizing and settling a bit.

As long as they don't get runny, it should be okay.

You can try breaking a few apart and seeing what they look like on the inside. See how crumbly they are.

--Dawn

aurora369 wrote:
I believe the most common reason for poops to darken in colour are from increased moisture. My guess would be that her gut might be stabalizing and settling a bit.

As long as they don't get runny, it should be okay.

You can try breaking a few apart and seeing what they look like on the inside. See how crumbly they are.

--Dawn
The things that we'll do in the name of bunny-related science. :biggrin2: I just sliced open one of Emma's poops with my thumb nail. Though it's dark (moist) on the outside, it still looks rather grassy (crumbly) on the inside. And, as I've said, though her poops are darker in color after eating pellets, she's still producing a normal quantity (and size) of poops.

Today, I gave Emma about 1/16 C of pellets; my goal is tovery slowly increase the amount to a maximum of1/8 C daily. (She's only 3 lbs.)

On the plus side, she's gained a little weight. She couldn't seem tomaintain a more sturdy weight on hay and veggies alone. After only one week on pellets, I can feel a slight increase in her weight, and the feel of her spine is less noticeable.

If it's still grassy and dry on the inside, then her poops are good! I have some buns who have very dry looking poop and others who have very black poop but they all have healthy poops.

That is good that she is gaining weight. Perhaps her gut is settling out and she won't be quite as sensitive in the future.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back