Pellet topic (again)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunny parents

Reaction score
Hi. everyone. First of all, we're sorry to bring this topic up again. I used to ask about pellets before, what is the best for our beloved bunnies. Just today that we were about to order Oxbow pellets for our bunny, my husband found a website about bunny and there's an information about food. Although I read on other details about bunnies ( such as ; toxic diets, about hay, etc. ), but one thing makes me confused. They compared pellet brands, what is the most harmful pellet brand for rabbits, and it said " OXBOW" !!!
Due to this website is in Polish, so I will translate some for you, we're really confused :? about pellets.

The very harmful pellets ;
Those pellets have a lot of calories, a little fibre, most of them contain seeds, alfalfa and baked products.

1. Oxbow BB/ T
Even if it contains high fibre, besides Timothy hay, it doesn't contain any healthy ingredients. It contains conservations, sugar, salt, bean- type plants and pounded beans and harmful chemical addition.
2. Oxbow BB 15/23
They explained the same like BB/ T
3.Vitrakraft Vita Special balance
4.Versele - Laga Cuni Nature Re-balance
5.Versele - Laga Krok Crispy
6.Wildlife Premium Rodent food
Along names of the brand, they also put amount of nutrient in percent. In case anyone wants to check it.
Białko = protein
Włókno, błonnik = fibre
Tłuszcz = fat
There're also " the less harmful" and " Harmful" type of pellets
" The less harmful "
1. Grainless Complete
2. Cliffi Gold

" The harmful " ( medium )
1. Bunny Nature grunertraum Basis
2. Versele - Laga Cuni Pro
3. Supreme petfoods Science Selective Mature Rabbit
4. Supreme petfoods Science Selective Rabbit
5. Supreme petfoods Science Selective Junior Rabbit
6. Beaphar Care+
7. Versele - Laga Cuni Complete

Again, we're sorry to bring this up but we're very confused. This is our Polish website and many people here feed their bunnies according to this. So we'd like to ask for your opinion, if this correct. Many people here on RO recommended me on Oxbow pellet and we are about to order it for our girl. If this information is not correct, we want to do something about it. So we will know the fact.

This is the link :

http://www.miniaturkabeztajemnic.com/dostepneg.html

Thank you so much for your time.:)

Yes, I heard about that too and as far as I search about it, I don't know why this website said like this. It makes me confused. Many people recommended me to feed my bunny Oxbow. I think I'm gonna stick to that. Although we cannot find Oxbow in any pet stores here, so we will order it. I saw some local pellet brands but they all are contained with seeds !!! :pssd:

the first one is only 11.1% protein and 21% fibre...
oxbow is 14% protein and 25-29% fibre..
i guess they think that low protein is better then a higher fibre content...wow ive never seen a pellet around here with that low of protein levels..im curious to see what others say about these pellets...
i know too much protein is a bad thing .but they do need it in their diet..but how much is the question...and if their feeding hay for more fibre with these low protein pellets then maybe they are better then oxbow...

A food for a pet rabbit should ideally be at least 16% protein...I'm not really able to follow the info or sites posted, they seem really disorganized. But 11% protein is WAY too low.

To Lisa : Thanks for your opinion. We searched more about this JR Farm and yes I agree with you that their ingredients look really good. However I was concerned about the low amount of protein as well, and compare the amount of fibre to Oxbow, for my opinion I still think that Oxbow is better. Anyway, we already ordered Oxbow for out girl, should be arrive in the next week. Both Oxbow and Grainless Complete cannot be found in Warsaw. We had to order from another city. I'm no expert about bunnies, so I'm stick on what most people use and have recommended it to me.

To Julie : Thanks for your opinion too. :) Sorry about the site. We will feed our bunny with Oxbow pellets, hay and right now we start introducing some veggies for our girl gradually.

Good that we found RO, otherwise we would end up feeding her with a brand which we can find in a pet shop and without knowing that it's not good for her. :( Thank you for all of you again. :flowerskiss:

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
A food for a pet rabbit should ideally be at least 16% protein...I'm not really able to follow the info or sites posted, they seem really disorganized. But 11% protein is WAY too low.

I'm not sure you have this information correct. I think a slightly lower protein level is recommended for pet rabbits. This is from the House Rabbit Society webpage.

Since pellets are manufactured and marketed primarily for breeders, and since most breeder rabbits are subject to more stress than house rabbits, many brands of pellets are labeled as "performance" feeds. These brands contain a high level of protein (16-22%), which is probably necessary to keep alive a rabbit who lives in an environment without climate control, is bred as often as possible, or is nursing most of the time. Physical, environmental, and psychological stresses require high energy levels for survival.
A healthier protein percentage for spayed or neutered house rabbits is approximately 12-14%, a level at which it is possible to find pellet brands that contain no animal fat and list at least some actual ingredients on their labels.

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-4/pellets.html

Jen

To Jen : thank you very much for your information. So it means Grainless Complete ( from JR Farm) has good percent of nutrients for bunnies ? If so, for us it might be easier to find this brand , as it's from Germany.

Sorry for late reply, Lisa. Yes, the Grainless Complete is quite small package. This is the shop where we ordered pellets from :

http://www.swiatkrolika.eu/JR_FARM-m15.html?swiatkrolika=ba531ffa8bfcb93cbeb096e7e7d2c99c

Grainless Complete :
weight 1.35 kg.
price 16,70 PLN ( So it should be around 5,5 USD , not more than 6 USD )

And the Oxbow we ordered :
Oxbow BB 15/23 :
weight 2.2 kg.
price 42,82 PLN ( around 14-15 USD )

Oxbow BB T :
weight 2.2 kg.
price 50,11 PLN ( around 16-17 USD )

We ordered 2 bags of BB 15/23 and BB T. Due to this shop is quite far away, so we need to order in big amount. However, they have only 1 bag of BB 15/23. The next delivery from UK will be on December. So in this week, we will have the order. I hope it will enough for Kimiko till December.

If you'd like to check more info on this site, let me know if you want any translate. There are so many things I'd like to buy from this place. it seems they have more products than the shop we find in WAW, but they're sooooo expensive :cry2 and my husband almost kills me. We have spent quite some already for little girl. ( well, it wasn't her fault, it was her momma's idea. :blushan: lol )

We gotta go. Kimiko has an appointment with the vet for vaccine :) See you around. Have a nice day :wave:

To Nancy McClelland : Thanks for your answer. We never find this brand in Poland.

About Oxbow pellets, are they tasty for bunnies ? :D It might sound funny, but when we first bought her Cuni Complete. We wanted to buy another one called Cuni Prestige and the guy at the shop told us that bunnies prefer the taste of Cuni complete more than Prestige. But I think our girl eats everything :laugh:

Thanks Virc for translating for me ...i might need more later ill let u know:)
the Cuni prestige is not as healthy as the Cuni complete is..weird that he said that cuz most buns like the junkie foods better..:)
i cannot believe how behind the U.S. is on rabbit foods..we dont have HALF of the choices other countries have for food,toys,housing,and healthy treats...geez we should start our own company..you know,,for the American spoiled ,posh,upscale buns in YOUR life.

Virc if your bun only has Timothy based pellets to choose from then Oxbow is tasty to them...but if theyve had Alfalfa based pellets ..then the transition to tim based takes a little bit but they all adapt to whatever pellets are available to them..

I use the JR farm grainless occasionally but with 15 bunnies the tiny packets don't go very far.
The pellets I love most for pet bunnies are Bunny Dream but due to the high price(20euro per 4kg) I can't offer them as the only pellet (if I could I would). From reading the list of ingredients I can't see anything wrong with them and I'm surprised the were listed among the "medium harmful":?

To Lisa, you're welcome :) By the way, I will never ask anything from those sellers in pet shops any more. They seem... well how to say, just sell ! I mean, the other day I went to buy some treats for Kimiko. We asked him and he pointed us some cheaty treats, so colourful and I mean colourful !!! No details about ingredients ! So we decided never ever again ! Kimiko seems to be an easy-going girl. She eats everything we give her. I'm glad that now she eats hay more than pellets. Before she was sooooo in love with pellets and ate them a lot !!! Well, we don't have much choices for housing, toys, food,etc. If we want better choice, we have to order through internet, just like we did with pellets. This shop I bought pellets from has quite a lot of things for bunnies. Too bad that it's quite far away. If not, I would go and buy some stuffs for my girl ( again ! My husband will kill me, he said I've spoiled my girl too much :rofl:

Sabine :
Hello :) Thank you for your answer. So you feed your bunnies with Grainless, ha ? :) Do they like it ? You're right, the package is quite small. And yes, we're so confused about this site saying about those pellets are harmful :confused2: Although, other informations, such as housing, toys, what's the most important diet for bunnies, caring bunnies, are good infos.

I used both the grainless complete pellets and the grainless mix. Neither were hugely popular but they will eat them if nothing else is available.
I much prefer the Bunny Dream pellets or Science Selective.
I usually get crucified on German rabbit pet forums if i mention I use pellets (amongst other things) but I've learned to ignore it:)

Sabine, I'm the same ! On Polish forum,they're up against pellets. However,I think I do need to feed her pellets to maintain nutrient she needs. We wont be able to find much vegetables here and now Autumn is coming :pssd: I plan to plant some veggies and herbs for her next Summer. So far she's doing fine with veggies, no diarrhoea. Oh, I like your avatar, your bunnies are cute ! Is Asha is a Polish bunny ?

Latest posts

Back