Pellet-free diet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that this diet could lead to a lot of rabbits with malnutrition.

In the wild, rabbits don't eat just grass. Their diet is widely varied including digging for tubers, girdling young trees, and even eating a few bugs.

I recommend a limited pellet diet for pet rabbits to be sure they are receiving adequate fats and protein as well as vitamins, minerals, and sodium.

I agree with Pam, on the general idea of the post. There are also a lot of things in that post that made me go :?. Lots of inconsistencies and just overall not a good idea. I realize that not everyone wants pellets to be a staple part of the diet, but pellet-free completely is not something I'd suggest.

I am a member of that group on Bunspace, although my rabbits all do eat a very limited amount of pellets. I just wanted to point out that the people on there who feed pellet free don't feed their rabbits just grass either. They feed a varied diet of greens and veggies in addition to hay.

Two of my rabbits (Zeus, who passed away because of cancer, and Barnaby, who is now 3 years old and very healthy) where on pellet free diets for about 2 years each. I never had any problems with their health because of their diet, but it's not as easy as throwing them some hay, making them a salad, and you're done. You have to do a lot of research and find the proper greens etc to feed them to make sure they're getting everything they need.

The way I think of it - if the pet food companies can make a complete diet then why can't I. Honestly I don't have a lot of confidence in pet food companies in general and think that it is possible for very dedicated owners at home to proved their pets with the necessary vitamins, minerals, etc without having to use commercial foods.

Dragonrain wrote:
I never had any problems with their health because of their diet, but it's not as easy as throwing them some hay, making them a salad, and you're done. You have to do a lot of research and find the proper greens etc to feed them to make sure they're getting everything they need.

Honestly I don't have a lot of confidence in pet food companies in general and think that it is possible for very dedicated owners at home to proved their pets with the necessary vitamins, minerals, etc without having to use commercial foods.
The problem is that most people don't know how to calculate the fat, fiber, protein levels and account for the necessary vitamins, minerals, etc. Feed companies come in handy because you can see on the bag exactly what's in the food. If you don't like the ingredients in a certain feed, your options are as simple as finding another one that fits your ideals of a proper diet. So pelleted foods are helpful for that.

I'd be interested to hear the specifications that you put on your rabbits' diet though, in order to account for everything if you don't mind sharing. :)

I personally see no problem at all with a pellet-free diet as long as you know what you are doing. If you are not an experienced rabbit owner, or don't have access to good and reputable sites/books which can help you, then I would advise against it. Diet is so so important to any animal, so if you don't know exactly what you are doing then you are taking a risk on your pet, which isn't fair to them.

My rabbits get few pellets, and lots of veggies, herbs, and safe plants. Fruit occasionally.

I think a few pellets in a bun's diet is actually a good thing. I don't see that 1/8cup or another similar very small quantity would do anything but good. It's not enough to make them gain weight, it just ensures the calories, fat, and essential nutrients.

My advice to anyone would be: main part of diet as veggies, greens, herbs etc. (a wide variety), with a small amount of pellets, perhaps a little fruit occasionally, and hay.

Similar to vegetarians/vegans/meat eaters etc. It's just a different diet. If they are done right, there's no reason you shouldn't be healthy (I don't know much about vegans but I am assuming this, although I can't quite see it personally).

Jen

Latest posts

Back