Peeing outside the litterbox....ugh!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bethstang

Reaction score
I have 2 neutered male Holland Lops, 2 yrs old. They've been bonded since 10 weeks old. They've never been great about using the litterbox, but it's gotten worse. They are in a pen with 2 boxes, I have made their pen smaller to get them to use the box more often, also it's never a puddle of urine, it's like it's a spray on the floor and it's ending up on my walls. One of the males is frequently humping the other which hasn't happened since they were very young. I did introduce a third rabbit 8 months ago, things were fine and then the new bunny passed away recently due to cancer, now it's the 2 of them again. I did get another male Holland Lop approximately 4 weeks ago, he's 10 weeks old and he is in a pen next to them. Just to clarify he is not in the pen with the other two. They show no aggression to each other at this point. I do plan on introducing them at a later time, after he's neutered and a few months have passed. So I'm wondering if the urinating outside the box is due to all that has happened and the new bun. What do I need to do to get better litterbox habits from these 2 boys?

I'd say it would definitely be about the new bunny. They're spraying their urine to mark their territory. If it hasn't gotten better after four weeks, I would suggest moving the new bunny's cage further away from them, and that might reduce the spraying once he's not so close. Once he's been neutered for a month, then you might be able to move the cage back next to the other two before starting the bonding process.

I could be wrong, but that's how I would attempt to approach it.

I would do as Azarene suggested. That might do the trick although if they can get very close or right next to the new buns cage when you let the others out to run around it may continue.

I thought neutering would eliminate the spraying?
And yeah i agree with the other 2 ladies alot has changed in their world over the last lil while and there is now new smells.

To a large extent, yes. But it's the same with cats, neutering certainly helps reduce, or in some cases eliminate it. But if they're defending their territory due to a new arrival, then they're going to spray. Un-neutered males are more likely to spray in a stable environment.

Latest posts

Back