Peeing on everything

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voldii

Reaction score
I've had dobby about 2 months now, so he is around 11 months, but I'm not sure exactly. The previous owner said nothing of him peeing, but Dobby seems to pee and poo on the furniture and you. It's driving me insane! I hold him less because it just means so much washing.

He is not neutured and might possibly have been used for breeding in the past. Voldemort (note the harry potter theme ;) ) is terrified of Dobby as Dobby once sprayed pee on him (Voldi used to do the same to Merlin when they were both un-neutured).

So how do I stop him peeing everywhere? Neuturing is not an option (financially) at the moment, but will be in a couple of months, and I am concerned that Voldi is still so scared of him! I've maybe decided to sell him and buy a smaller rabbit (Dobby is huge) which has not been used for breeding and who I could get spayed or neutured in the future if needs be.

He's friendly and I like him and would make sure he went to the best home, but I have no bond with him and Voldemort comes first (the only one of my original bunnies still alive). :( sorry for the essay!

He needs to be neutered, spraying is a hormonal issue. Honestly it is not fair to your rabbits to get them if you can't afford to take care of them (which includes vet care). You can't blame the spraying on him because that is what hormonal bucks do. It doesn't matter if they were used for breeding or not. Ghirardelli was never used for breeding but he still decorated the walls with urine until I got him neutered. He never sprayed again from the time I brought him home. Exchanging him for another male is not going to fix the problem because the new one will probably spray too unless he is fixed.

I don't have a buck but I can tell you Brandy is correct. Unneutered males will spray. From what my research has told me, the ONLY way you can stop the spraying is neutering. Its not a training issue or litterbox issue.

Rabbits are naturally tidy animals when it comes to the toilet. In the wild, rabbits will use one spot as the toilet, as leaving poops everywhere will let predators know that there are rabbits around.

If your rabbit is not spayed or neutered, it can be part of the problem. Unneutered/unspayed rabbits tend to mark territory much more than altered rabbits.

Sometimes they pee for insecurity too.

Dont give up on Dobby yet!!!

Okay first off, it is not my fault I can't afford it right now, I was fine when I brought him and I'll just have to wait a month to have him done, last time I had Merlin and Voldi done they both had complications due to the operation which cost me over double what I was origionally paying, and I'm worried that it'll happen again. But thanks for responding I'll book him in :)

Haha thanks Jas, I won't yet and if I get him neutured and Voldi is still terrified of him I'll re consider keeping him. I can't have voldi relucatant to be within eye shot of Dobbt forever :(

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Dobby.(lol, I'm into the Harry Potter theme too).

Your Dobby sounds like a very dominate bunny. And it usually takes 2 months IMHO for a bunny to settle into a new space. So now he's really saying "All this is mine.". No wonder Voldi is a bit nervous. You already know from the first post you wrote, that neutering can really help the spraying to stop and can sometimes tone down the dominate behavior.

Until the time you get Dobby neutered, I believe you need to keep Dobby and Voudi separated. Not fair for Voldi to feel scared and intimidate in his forever home from some new bunny. You will have to interact with them separately. You don't even have a bond with Dobby, but don't blame you if he's peeing on you every time you hold him. Understand your frustration. But you really need to start if you plan on keeping him and eventually after neutering reintroduce him to Voldi.

If you do want to find Dobby a home, I would wait before bringing in another smaller bunny until you had the finances to neuter/spay the new guy or gal.

It can be frustrating with bunnies and their ways, but you really have to sit down and come to some kind of plan. It will help your frustration and will help Dobby and Voldi.

K:)

Neutering will help a lot. My dear Scamper used to keep my daughters room properly marked and every day right before she was ready to go to school would do a drive by and fling pee in her face he really loves her :big kiss:. Since he's been fixed he has perfect bathroom habbits

Aw bless, the peeing in your daugters room must have been annoying but how adorable that Scamper liked her so much :) None of my other bunnies ever liked humans very much, but they're getting better.

Dobby shall be neutured in July, would be sooner but I'm away for a month.

Latest posts

Back